Looking for Tactical .22 on a budget for my boys.. suggestions ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Ok.. My wife just got her pistol and gave me the 'all clear' to get a 'tactical 22' for my sons. They're 9 and 12. They shoot my father in law's Ruger 10/22 really well. They like the look of the AR platform but I think they'll be stoked with just about anything.

I have a budget of about $300 (give or take a little). I saw the Mossberg AR15-22 from Bud's for about $260 (plus FFL transfer).. the reviews on their website weren't so hot.. lots of them were suggesting that it was finicky and the magazines were garbage.

So I'm looking for suggestions from the folks 'in the know'. It will mostly be for my boys to plink with at the range. They are very good w/ the iron sights on my father in law's Ruger. I'm sure they'll love having a Red Dot sight on the new gun

Not gonna use it for hunting. My boys are kinda small for their ages. (For example, my 9 yr old is the same size as my 5 yr old LOL) So INgo.. what are your suggestions ?

I searched a little but didn't find much that pertained to my limitations.

Thanks in advance :)

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    2 cricket rifles?

2 savage mkII rifles

2 model 60's

a henry golden boy?

any of those are lifetime guns when kept clean and regularly maintained. (disclaimer on the cricket as it has only been around for a few years now.) ;)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    they could share LOL.

<goes to use some google fu on these suggestions>

ETA: those all look to be bolt action. I'll share the details of them with my boys and see what they think.

Not sure if they'd prefer a bolt action rifle or an auto loader with a magazine. All some very good looking rifles though :yesway:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    That's a good looking gun. How do you feel it compares to the M&P 15-22 ?

They like the looks of the m/p but I think it might be a bit heavy for them though at this stage.

the vtr actually shot better than the 15/22. it has more of a bull barrel. it ate any kind of ammo, and was a breeze to clean.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    it did have a little bit of weight behind it, but is certainly a good rifle to grow into. the remington name means quite a bit to me.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    On a 10/22? A single screw holds the stock on. Two pins hold the trigger group to the receiver. One pin holds the bolt in the receiver.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Sounds like a fun project :)

Thanks for the suggestions.. I'm gnna look at all of these and see what my boys would like to do/have and make a 'group' decision out of it. Much the same way I got suggestions for my wife and let her make the decision as to which pistol was best for her.

I'll report back once we've decided and made a purchase :)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I got my 10/22 like it is below. Quite tacticool. A bipod would complete the package. 50-round mag dumps are pretty sweet. The side fold stock is slick but I need a foregrip or bipod to use it well

ff92c88b.jpg

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I'd say don't worry about the tactical look and get them a standard 22. Tacticals are a lot of fun but they aren't typically optimized for the 22lr. Standard rifle will be cheaper and more durable. May be able to get a pistol to shoot as well if you can find them in good, used condition.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    M&P15-22 is the obvious choice.
    10/22 is overrated.
    Marlin60 is the choice of Gods
    Savage MKII Series is also a great choice.
    Tactical is in the eye or the owner. What makes a rifle tactical to you? Black? Rails? accessories? Heat seeking bullets?
    Get the M&P15-22 and do you and your children a favor

Top Bottom