• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Trying to get some information on IH garands or garands in general. I have very little knowledge on these rifles. Seems that there is a ton of of different things needed to value a garand, matching #'s, ET, condition, rebuilt, rebuilt by who. I know where there is an International Harvester M1 Garand with bayonette, sling, clips, suppose to have all matching #'s and in good condition. I wish I had photos but I don't. He is wanting to sale it, I have not seen it. He is asking 1000$ for it. Is this something that I should follow up on?

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Sorry posted this in wrong section, should have been in long gun general section. I'm new at this, can a moderator move this to the correct section? Thanks

racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    Trying to get some information on IH garands or garands in general. I have very little knowledge on these rifles. Seems that there is a ton of of different things needed to value a garand, matching #'s, ET, condition, rebuilt, rebuilt by who. I know where there is an International Harvester M1 Garand with bayonette, sling, clips, suppose to have all matching #'s and in good condition. I wish I had photos but I don't. He is wanting to sale it, I have not seen it. He is asking 1000$ for it. Is this something that I should follow up on?

There are some very good reference books by Scott Duff on the M1's

I just purchased a IHC M1 and it is one of the first 21,000 made.

Feel free to PM me and I can help you with numbers.

For 1000.00 if you do not buy I will!

Glen

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Thats a good Price, I would jump on it, Lots of different things to know about the Tractor rifle, I had alot of info on what to look for but can't find it right now. Some are worth over 4000.00. The cool thing is that these were made right here in IN.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If the Stamping that says "International Harvester" is in a triangle shape, buy it and run away before he changes his mind. A complete IH "arrow head" model is highly prized by Garand collectors.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    There are some very good reference books by Scott Duff on the M1's

I just purchased a IHC M1 and it is one of the first 21,000 made.

Feel free to PM me and I can help you with numbers.

For 1000.00 if you do not buy I will!

Glen

As mentioned above. I as well would suggest getting Scott Duffs book/s (he has published MANY on the Garand). The one that would do you the most good (as you are looking at a IHC Garand) is titled "The M1 Garand: POST WORLD WAR II. It goes into great detail on the IHC Garand and other Post WWII Garands as well. It was my Garand bible while I searched for my correct IHC. Just know that because the receiver says IHC does not always mean the whole rifle is IHC. Some less learned people may boast it as ALL matching IHC, but as Duffs book will bring to light there are alot of things to look for. I would agree with what someone else posted. If it is an all correct IHC for $1000.00... buy it and RUN, do not walk away, but run before they realize what they have. I say this because usually all correct IHC's sell for $1800-$2500 depending on rarity of certain markings on them. Just some FYI. The IHC Garand was made in Evansville, Indiana. Anyway best of luck hope you have found the "golden egg".:D

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    PM me. I have the Scott Duff book here that can help you make the right call. You will be looking at this and other areas :
    Serial #
    Receiver drawing and heat lot #
    bolt #
    barrel side markings - most likely an LMR barrel, but a few were said to carry Springfield barrels
    Op Rod #
    Trigger group #s -
    Stock - should be Overton and have OR and 4 numbers inside stock channel
    Gas screw
    rear sight windage
    front sight - wide

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    If you're not familiar with the weapon here is a very useful video on disassembly and reassembly You'll need to get it broken down to identify the parts. And if you do get it this will be good pratice for maintaining the weapon

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fTYsLyJ00s&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Last edited:

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    Make sure you check the drawing numbers on the receiver's front leg with the mfg serial number. I saw a IHC rifle here (last Fall) in the Indy area where the back half of the receiver was IHC and the front end was Springfield, (welded receiver).

If this has matching parts probably a different rifle but be aware, welded receivers are out there.

Okimeister

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'd jump on it. I'm doing my first M14 build and piecing it together is not cheap !!!
    Going through CMP you'd be looking at $1000 minimum and that would include various parts, not all #'s matching.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Heads up, I did see that CMP Chief Exec posted on their forum the other day. He answered a question regarding IHC's and said they do have some and expect to be selling them this Oct - Nov.
    He wouldn't divulge exactly how many or in what manner CMP would sell them. I have a bad feeling these will end up on the CMP auction and go way beyond my bank account.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Eansville to be exact. I talked to a guy a while back who worked at the plant after high school. He among other things test fired them. Paid to shoot an M1 Garand = sweet.

You are correct sir they were made and assembled in Evansville, IN...The bulk of them were anyway. According to Scott Duffs book on the post WWII Garand. IHC had a very tough time meeting their government contract quota. So SA had to step in and had to make some for IHC. And yes as per Duffs book those made by SA for IHC have a drawing number or some such marking on the front leg of the receiver, the receiver however still says IHC though. One would have to look at the book for exact details. Hope this info is helpful?
    :)

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hmmm, I need to find a Garand Expert around Columbus/Morgantown/Martinsville area, I have a DCM Garand I got back in the 80's that is as far as I've been able to tell a correct IH garand except the bolt which is an HRA Its a good shooter and I enjoy shooting it but I never thought it would be worth those kind of numbers

karl77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Calumet township/Lake County
    Make sure you check the drawing numbers on the receiver's front leg with the mfg serial number. I saw a IHC rifle here (last Fall) in the Indy area where the back half of the receiver was IHC and the front end was Springfield, (welded receiver).

If this has matching parts probably a different rifle but be aware, welded receivers are out there.

not necessarily, the garand collectors mag had a feature rifle that had IH marks on the heel and springfield on the leg. seems springfield made receivers for IH.

welded receivers have a discoloration where they were welded, not to be confused with the ww2 era lead dipped heels.

Top Bottom