The perfect/dream AR-15 build... Help me out!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Hey gents, so... I have decided to build my first AR! To start, let me say, I DO NOT have a price budget on this I was to also add that just because I have no budget, doesnt mean that I want to spend the most... I really don't care to spend the money but, it has to be justified on quality and performance in order to do so,

I will also say, I do not have timeline on this so... saving up for the more expensive stuff will not bother me as long as I know I am working toward a badass weapon

I also want to add that, I am a "pistol" guy so as I have some basic knowledge of this stuff, I am no expert. I started a built of a 10/22 a little less than a year ago and just finished it up... I am not falling in love with this stuff! To add to that, my first AR-15 was purchased for pure accuracy... It basically consists of the following:
    Spikes Lower Receiver
    Geissele two stage trigger
    Magpul PRS Stock
    I had Frank from Compass Lake throw together the upper which is sporting a Krieger Free Float Barrel and space gun hand guard... Oh, and I have a Ziess Scope on her (just like my 10/22).

So with that said, I want to throw together a rifle that is more defense and tactical vs Sniper/Space gun...

Here is what I have already (and I will not change this stuff)
    Spikes Lower
    Vltor Mur-1
    Vltor Casv-EL
    Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit
    Bravo Co. Charging Handle Mod 4
    Bravo Co. BCG
    Eotech HHS I

Now... onto the rest of what I need... I want a Geissele trigger just not sure what one to get (Thinking Super Dynamic 3 Gun)... love the flat trigger look and feel so I am looking for thoughts on this?

I definitely need barrel recommendations (I am pretty sure I am going with a 16" but, I do not know enough to make the right decision on this... HELP)... since this i'snt a sniper rifle, I am not sure where to go on this. I love the Krieger that I have on my Compass Lake but, I am def open to suggestions. I also dont know, is a super high end barrel over kill at this point? I need specifics on what you all think... manufacturer, finish, twist, etc...

I am torn on a gas block front flip sight... since I have the eotech, I DO NOT want the standard front post sight so... do I get the Gas block front flip sight or just a gas block with and put a flip sight on the rail? Who makes the best ones? I saw Vltor makes one, Troy, YHM... I am open to suggestions here as I do not know where to go!

Rear flip sights... what do you guys think on these?

Buffer tubes and rear stock/butt plate? I am pretty sure I will go with either a Larue or Vltor tube... I really like the look of Vltor's E-Mod Stock but, I am always a sucker for Magpul... I really, really like the CTR as I have one on my AK47 but, I always like reading opinions on this too!

What are your guys trigger guard brand preferences?

Looking for thoughts on BAD device, ambi safety selector, ambi bolt release, magazines (I am probably 99% sure I will go with P Mags), etc... anything else I am forgetting?

I 100% understand that all this stuff is subjective and we will never get everyone to agree on this but, the more "Updated" info I can get, the better my own personal build will be. I have read a lot of AR15.com, Snipershide.com, etc... the problem is, most of what I come across is at least 2-5 years old.

I am also aware that this replies will probably be quite lengthy... I want that as I think that is what will help me, and a lot of others who are searching for this info!

Again, I am not necessarily looking for exactly what you are running on your AR-15... I am looking for all around best (function, quality, reliability, etc...)

So starting with what I already have (mentioned at the top)... and given the specifics on where I want to go with this rifle, what are your recommendations for a Dream AR-15?

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Have you tried the sd 3g trigger yet? If not, find someone that has one and shoot it several times before you buy. I ve had one for 3 months now on a 16" build set up for 3g and am still not sure if I like , love or hate it. Extremely light and smooth 1st stage pull, then nothing...no break, just like it falls off a table. Hard to explain. If you re around the Peru area send me a message and Ill let you judge for yourself.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ill chime in on the optics portian.

imo this is the perfect ar scope

Vortex Optics - Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24 JM-1

it is not cheap at 1400, but it is absolutly built like a tank, razor hd glass wich rivials any glass out there. 50 moa per revolution on the turrets, i didnt get to shoot the one i had (it sold within 10 minutes of me getting it in. my brother in law brought it to me at the 1500 since it got mailed to my place saturday morning. but the guy who bought it already placed a order for one to replace his swarovski z6 wich says somthing about it) but what i did get to see i absolutly loved. i think it has a little more merit on a 308 battle rifle, but i dont own a 308 battle rifle so im putting one on a ar.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Here is what I have already (and I will not change this stuff)
    Spikes Lower
    Vltor Mur-1
    Vltor Casv-EL
    Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit
    Bravo Co. Charging Handle Mod 4
    Bravo Co. BCG
    Eotech HHS I

Good parts!

For a defensive rifle I'd go with a single stage trigger such as the ALG ACT.

ALG Defense - where triggers with tradition, value and regulatory concerns are of primary importance

Barrel I'd go with a 16" hammer forge from BCM, I have a YHM on one of mine with the Vltor CASV - EL

Stock.......the EMod is nice but IMHO kinda big....look at the IMod (Vltor) or the STR from Magpul. Even the B5 SOPMOD.

Go with the Magpul BAD and the Battle Arms Developement BAD ASS ambi selector. Throw in at least 10 PMags.

P1150890.jpg

Last edited:

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    IMO,
    the ALG triggers aren't justifiably better than an m4 trigger. For me, I've come to the conclusion that it's Geissele or bust.

The theory on barrel selection is purpose.
    I have two 16" ars. One is a BCM LW CL barrel, the other a WOA Stainless Barrel. The WOA will shoot lights out but has a pretty good amount of weight, the BCM will be affected by heat after just a short string of fire, but it is light, and light is good.

While badass, defense, and tactical are great objectives for a rifle, it makes it difficult to come up with good parts recommendations.

I rock the DMR in my WOA AR and a S3G in my LW/Blaster. If you define purpose, that'll help you define the parts selection. You've got your bases covered though with high end stuff. (Sans spikes lower maybe).

Now onto specifics.
    I've never run a gas block flip up sight. I can't comment either way, but i know troy makes a very nice flip up front sight. On my rifles, I use the original FSB for the LW, and a KAC URX-III with built in front sight.

Rear sights, I like matech and troy, both seem to be reasonably durable and no-nonsense. The troys do cost quite a bit, thats why I went with the matech on my LW.

For stocks, I don't run any sling swivels on my stock, and dont care too much about rattle, so the MOE works for me.

I think rails will be a good spot to spend a lot of time. I like lower profile rails, so the URX-III and Noveske NSR are the two use. I cannot speak more highly of the NSR. It feels great in hand, and is lightweight. I wanted a bit of a change of pace with the URX-III and thats why I went that route.

As far as extra accessories go (bad lever, ambi stuff, redimag), there's a diverging philosophy if you want to train with the status quo, or get some optimal ergonomic things for max speed with your rifle. I use the bad lever, and no other ambi stuff. I don't care for ambi safety selectors, and never felt the need with ambi mag release. (just practice weak handed). I had a redimag. It was too heavy. I removed it. I have flashlights on both of my rifles for up close and friendly dark work. They happen to both be surefires, both for badassery and reliability.

Don't forget once you get a tactical AR you can make a 1st line belt.

Here's a horrible picture of my lightweight rifle in it's nearly final state:

010522bb.jpg

Top Bottom