• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dking1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Looking to purchase my first AR gun not sure what brand to buy. I've been looking at Bushmaster, Windham Arms, Rock River Arms, LWRC, Colt, and Troy. Does anybody have any suggestions for a first time buyer? I plan to use it for plinking and hunting coyotes. I want to put a good set of optics on it not sure what kind but I also want iron sights as well. I want a gun that if my life or may families depended on it will work everytime. I have a Hi Power that feel will work everytime I pick it up I want to feel the same way with my AR I purchase. Any suggestions?

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For your purposes I would do this (since you mentioned LWRC, I assume this is your price range)

-Larue, Stealth upper $1,200

- any lower $100

-lower parts kit $70

-ALG trigger $65

-Magpul CTR $100

-Fail Zero BCG $130

-charging handle with tac latch $40

-Magpul MIAD grip $30

-HARRIS BI-pod $120

-Vortex optics (wide range) @$200-800

= one bad a** accurate, reliable, affordable, respectable, and good looking AR FOR $1850 plus optics.....don't think you could buy one factory for this price that is this good....but this is just my opinion...not law, lol

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Sit down and READ, READ, READ

Asking what AR to buy will just get you 100's of different opinions and confuse you more.

Read, study, ask questions, take your time. Figure out what you want and what you want from the rifle.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis

Asking what AR to buy will just get you 100's of different opinions and confuse you more.

Read, study, ask questions, take your time. Figure out what you want and what you want from the rifle.

This is probably better advise than mine...lol, but hey you asked!

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    With the ones you specifically asked about I'd go with a windham. Bushmaster isn't what it used to be (that's windham now) for the money windhams are hard to beat. I feel its of equal quality of my m&p that I paid $1200 for

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Like metioned above read read read. For myself I knew an off the shelve AR was not going to do it for me. I spent two years reading and researching and putting together my AR. I just took it out on friday for the first time and have not regretted the wait. For myself I wanted a accurate rifle that I could take to the farm and venilate wood chucks. I knew the ranges I would be shooting at so I didnt need for myself a 24 inch barrel. I struggled long and hard between 16 and 18 in barrels. Finally went with 16 barrel. This weapon you are buying has to be thought of as a tool. How you use the tool will depend on what variation you buy. If you go buy one to buy one more than likely it will end up here in the classifieds.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a Windam Weaponry AR I like alot. Check them out, I think if its your first save yourself some money and by a good entry level AR like a Windam then as you progress with the platform you can make it the way you want it.

Mine now looks like a Magpul catolog threw up on it. But what ever Its the way I want it to be and Magpul stuff, just like the Windham, is hard to beat for the money.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

I understand this approach but mine is polar opposite :) almost

Read some to understand basics. Go out and buy a new/used one for 650-750$

Shoot it for a year or so (shoot it not just own it). Write down what you like or don't like about the rifle.

Decide if you want to upgrade the one you have or buy another and sell the first one for almost what you paid anyway, maybe 120 less meaning it cost you 10$ a month to gain experience with the platform and identify likes/dislikes :)

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Do you want to buy a complete AR or attempt to build your own? I find buying used a little difficult not knowing it it is a well put together home assembly or a bad first attempt.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Do you want to buy a complete AR or attempt to build your own? I find buying used a little difficult not knowing it it is a well put together home assembly or a bad first attempt.

If someone has a difficult time putting together an AR, they probably should not be tinkering with guns. Exceptions would be maybe building your upper from individual parts. Otherwise it all goes together one way. A field strip from start to finish with a function check can be done in less than a minute. And that is not too far off from dismantling the rifle anyway.:)

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    To those saying "I like this" or "I like that", please explain why. Try to help the OP understand "why" you like X over Y. Just saying "I like brand X" doesn't really help much.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like what Mike likes!:D

Seriously, I agree. Each individual needs to figure out what's best for THEM, not what's the current trend.

I have mentioned this in other posts, but I am interested in getting a 9mm pistol. Initially I figured, I may as well get a Glock, that seems to be the overwhelming pistol of choice. After shooting one, I am not so sure. I shot another brand and actually shot better with it. And I "felt" a few other brands and found one that really feels good in my hand. Now, I am not sure I want the Glock. I want to shoot the M&P and if I like the way it shoots, I will probably go with that.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    To those saying "I like this" or "I like that", please explain why. Try to help the OP understand "why" you like X over Y. Just saying "I like brand X" doesn't really help much.

Fair enough.

I like my Windham Weaponry SRC AR because it was priced under 1k (at Bradis), from research I found them to be very well made with a lifetime warranty and a great reputation CS wise. It came simple and basic so I could make it my own from the get go. I like Magpul accessories because they are (relatively) cheap without being cheaply made and come in a wide variety of colors and configurations. I dont however care for folding sights so I went with Troy fixed battle sights. I have put ~500 rnds through my Windham AR now and it is IMHO a very well made and solid piece. Im no AR guru, but I know enough to know what I want in or on my rifle and for me and my uses my Magpul enhanced Windham is perfect.

dking1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Thanks for all the input please keep it coming. I like the Windham a lot most dealers around here are pushing Rock River so is one of the guys I work with. That's fine. When I purchased my Hi Power 25 years ago it just felt like it was part of me when I picked it up. The Windham feels good but then does the LWRC but that’s a big price difference in price. The only bad thing I heard about Windham was the trigger. Has anyone had any trouble with this? If so did you change the trigger assembly out? What brand of trigger did you go to and why? I’ll continue doing my research but any suggestions you fellows can give is great. Also I think the first AR I buy will be a complete system then later I'll build a custom AR.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Do you have a price range you want to stay with? I just completed my second AR, but I built the lower and bought the upper. I have under $900 in it without optics. What I'm getting at, is you do not have to spend extra money to have a good rifle. I suggest you start basic and upgrade as you see fit. As pointed out above, I would stear clear of Bushmaster.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom