• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I'm looking for some thoughts on an 18" upper for a build I"m working on. The BCG isn't important at this point as I"m just looking for an upper with the barrel, gas block and tube.

The closest I've come to what I'm looking for is an upper offered by Model 1 Sales Model 1 Sales: 18-inch 5.56 SPR Upper

I would prefer to have a mid-weight barrel vs. a heavy barrel as well.

Can anyone offer a recommendation aside from model 1 that isn't going to approach the $600?

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    Check out Loki, I got one of their patrol rifles and I have designated marksman in 6.5 on the way. The patrol rifle has put 4 of 4 SMK hand loads in a bottle cap at 100 yards.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    I know you asked for an 18", but why do you want an 18"? Rifle gas system? More velocity ?

For what it's worth, a 16 inch is 100 less FPS than a 20" according to a few verifiable sources, so it seems almost negligible. And mid length systems can be quite smooth.

There are a significant amount of 16" barrel options out there, for what it's worth.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I know you asked for an 18", but why do you want an 18"? Rifle gas system? More velocity ?

For what it's worth, a 16 inch is 100 less FPS than a 20" according to a few verifiable sources, so it seems almost negligible. And mid length systems can be quite smooth.

There are a significant amount of 16" barrel options out there, for what it's worth.

You are correct. I am looking for a rifle length gas system without going to a 20+ inch upper. I am just having a hard finding what I am looking for in an affordable price range and I don't have the time to build my own.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    This maybe an option... at surplusammo look up blackhole weaponary barrels. you can get a 16 in or 18 in barrel for the same price and they are currently coming with a free stripped upper... I struggled long and hard between 16 to 18. I went 16 midlenth and put a 2 inch compenstor. It really does not take that long to assembly a upper. You can check out my build on my profile photo album or see it in the AR sticky. Mine shoots like a dream cant wait to get more rounds down ranger with her.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Can you give more of a description of what you are looking for?

18" with a rifle length gas system in a chrome moly 1/7 twist preferably but would consider a 1/8. I would prefer not to have a FSB, simply a low profile gas block. looking for a forged 7075 aircraft grade upper.

Eventually I will pick up a Nickel Boron Coated BCG along with a set of rifle length free float rails.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I got mine from M&A Parts (AR15 Parts, M16 Parts, Assault Rifles, Tactical Gear M&A Parts, Inc.) at the August 1500. It was around $500, maybe a bit less. 18" floating handguard, 1:8 twist. M&A uppers come from Lewis Machine and Tool. I don't have tons of rounds through it, a couple hundred maybe, but have not had any issues with it at all.

small092812193853.jpg

Top Bottom