• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I am thinking about picking up a Piston Driven AR gun like the Ruger SR-556 to replace my Ruger Mini-14.

I had a Gas system AR once but it was really picky with ammo and jammed more than I liked. I want something that I don't ahve to worry "AS" much about cleaning but has a decent ammount of accuracy.

Are there any negatives with a gun like the SR-556? It sounds like the perfect defensive rifle aside from the price.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    I am no expert.

Why lose the Mini-14? They are great little tools that will last longer than most of the plastic guns around. The rifle has been around for many decades and is still a very strong competitor. Besides, I love the wood stocks!!!

That said, the Ruger SR-556 has a very good reputation. I also personally like the Core15. Sig has a good reputation as does FNH, HK, SCAR, Colt, etc.

The Core15 gas impingement happily ate the really cheap steel cased ammo, spit it out, and asked for more! Behaved very nicely. Also accepted a very cheap magazine without issue as well as pmags.

Read alot about piston guns. There are pros and cons. From my reading it appears I would never want to buy an entry level piston gun due to issues they may have of becoming loose after a 1000 or so rounds of shooting. Again, I have no real world experience just internet quarterbacking from reading around the web.

What about gas impingment systems? They will run less money and can run quite well with tonnes of rounds through them.

I would also peruse the used guns sections of everywhere. What brands are prevelent on the resale market? Might there be a reason for this? Which pieces can you almost never locate used? Why might that be?

Hope I have given good food for thought.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    The piston driven AR doesn't dump the gas into the BCG leaving it much cleaner. It won't run as hot and will be much easier to clean.

Get one and give me the Mini....... Seems fair :D

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    I have both, and like the piston. Some guys criticize it, saying (1) DI isn't broke, so don't fix it, or (2) pistons aren't standardized like DI, so you may have trouble with parts, or (3) if your DI gun gas system fails, you have a bolt gun, but if your piston fails, you have an expensive club. I suppose it depends on whether you find any of these arguments persuasive. After using both, I choose my piston rifle way more.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I don't know about some of the manufacture built Piston guns but if it is an upgrade piston like the Adams Arms kit I have you can still cycle it like the DI guns. It even has a gas off position so you can shoot just one shot at a time if you wanted. So "...an expensive club." Absolutely not in the upgrade kits I have seen.

Sure, DI isn't broke but if I can have a cleaner running gun with less time cleaning and jamming, I am all for it.

Parts, I can see this argument to a point but I would want to order some extra parts ahead of time for my DI gun anyway so I am going to do the same thing for my Piston gun. Including the preppers mindset "1 of anything (put together with parts) is like having none and 2 of something is like having 1. If one breaks you can scavenge parts to get one of them running."

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a Ruger SR-556. I like it well enough but it is kinda a PITA if anything does go wrong, because you have to send it back to Ruger. There is no instructions beyond basic field strip in the manual and it says not to mess with the piston system beyond basic field srtip. So in essence the Piston system is non-serviceable unless its Ruger that services it. Not that it should ever really need it, but on the LWRC models the top rail comes off and allows access to the piston for cleaning and service.

If I was to do it again I think I would save up the money and get an LWRC instead.

Ive since bought another DI gun just because they can be totally torn down and put back together by the end user and parts are plentyfull.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Piston guns are far more complicated and involved to maintain than a DI gun.

I've never had a malfunction in any DI gun, experienced plenty with piston guns.

YMMV, just remember hype is hype.

Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    There are lots of nice piston ARs out there. They are generally several hundred dollars more than a good DI gun. If you want a piston gun for ****s and gigs..get one. I say get a quality DI gun, lube the **** out of it, shoot it till your our of ammo, enjoy cleaning your rifle..its a bonding experience.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Piston guns are far more complicated and involved to maintain than a DI gun.

I've never had a malfunction in any DI gun, experienced plenty with piston guns.

YMMV, just remember hype is hype.
    Please don't make this generalized statement about all Piston guns. They are not all created equal. Mine is no more complicated than a DI gun and 10x faster to clean.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    If you do decide to buy a piston AR- dont be afraid to spend some money. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. But with piston guns, this cant be more true. LWRC and Barrett are the two companies I'd buy a piston gun from.

And please, don't be one of those guys who buys a piston AR only because it's easier to clean. And reliability isn't an acceptable reason either-both are very reliable.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I LOVE my LWRC. :D

It's reliable, runs cooler and is cleaner.
    I've always preferred an operating rod/piston type rifle, and having a piston AR is no different

I've never understood the sometimes hostile reaction to piston AR's that's sometimes encountered.

Just buy what YOU like.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Please don't make this generalized statement about all Piston guns. They are not all created equal. Mine is no more complicated than a DI gun and 10x faster to clean.

I agree.

It seems to me the only pistion guns that dont run right are the ones that are not put together properly. And the same could be said for a DI gun.

OP, The Ruger is a quality rifle and you will be very happy with one Im sure. If you were closer to me I would be more than willing to let you try mine before you bought one.

Black Beauty

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    i have recently purchased an Adams Arms Piston conversion kit for my Windham Weaponry AR15. i did many hours of countless research to see if it was even worth doing the conversion kit and IMO, i believe it will be very much helpful in many aspects. rifle runs cooler; carbon buildup in upper reciever is very very little to none; recoil is decreased; deferent modes of firing rate (depending on ammo type and if firing full auto); i'm hoping to experience a better operating rifle when assembled with the Adams Arms piston conversion kit.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    The Ruger weighs a ton and is unbalance IMHO. I built my own Black Rain/Adams Arms piston ar and it eats everything i throw in it, is a breeze to clean and is very balanced.
    I never did like the sr556, but i know folks who did. My point is there are plenty of piston rifles out there that function beautifully and weigh less.

huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I have the SR 556. It is designed so that in the "0" position it operates as a bolt action gun and not semi-auto. So no, it's not an expensive club if the system breaks or fails.

It is a little heavy and balance is barrel heavy. I really like it though I would love to have a DD or Spikes DI mid length - just cuz... :)

Top Bottom