• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrd182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Hi everyone, this is my first post.
    I have a spiker front sight block and bayonet I got from Pars INternational.
    I want to replace my Mak-90 neutered gas block (no cleaning rod holder) with a AK-47 Bulgy gas block with a cleaning rod holder. My question is will the spike bayonet fold all the way down into into my Ironwood Type type 56 grooved forend, or will it hang up on the cleaning rod holder requiring me to grind it down anyway.

Thanks for any help!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

Just checked my Poly Tech with underfolding bayo and the factory gas block does not have a cleaning rod holder.

There is almost no clearance between the bayo and the cleaning rod.

Might as well stick with the original MAK-90 gas block and save some money.

jrd182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Welcome to the group!

:welcome:

Just checked my Poly Tech with underfolding bayo and the factory gas block does not have a cleaning rod holder.

There is almost no clearance between the bayo and the cleaning rod.

Might as well stick with the original MAK-90 gas block and save some money.

If there is no cleaning rod holder I assume the rod is held in place by the spiker FSB. Does it move around or is it captured by the combination of the FSB and the hole in the lower forend grip. Is this correct. Thanks for your reply.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Correct, the front sight base/bayo assembly holds the cleaning rod in place. There is a hole in the bayo pivot that it goes through, and the lock is under the front sight as normal.

Also, it does go through the lower handguard. Some MAK-90s did not have holes in the lower handguard as well as it's locking device. You can easily drill out the locking device if needed and I would guess the Ironwood lower handguard is pre-drilled.

If you happen to be in the area of the north side of Indianapolis/Carmel area I would be more than happy to show you both a factory Poly Tech setup and a MAK-90 conversion.

jrd182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Correct, the front sight base/bayo assembly holds the cleaning rod in place. There is a hole in the bayo pivot that it goes through, and the lock is under the front sight as normal.

Also, it does go through the lower handguard. Some MAK-90s did not have holes in the lower handguard as well as it's locking device. You can easily drill out the locking device if needed and I would guess the Ironwood lower handguard is pre-drilled.

If you happen to be in the area of the north side of Indianapolis/Carmel area I would be more than happy to show you both a factory Poly Tech setup and a MAK-90 conversion.

I believe from what I have been able to find out, that the original gas block, before It was ground down smooth had slight groove in it to help support the cleaning rod. Is this the configuration on your polytech?

On your Mak-90 conversion I am assuming that you just used the smooth ground off gb that came on the Mak. What I am trying to find is the correct gb for the type 56 with a groove so the conversion will look more authentic. I have already put the wrong gb on this gun once. I spent ALOT of $$ on an original preban chinese AKM with bayonet lug and it obviously does not work with the spike bayonet, in addition to $90.00 gunsmith bill for removal and replacement of the WRONG gas block plus gas to Crawfordsville from Brown County. Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to get it right this time. Thanks for all your information.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    you will have one other small problem doing this.

Unless you currently already have a spiker FSB on the rifle, then the spiker FSB will not fit with out turning the OD of the barrel down where the extended FSB slides on. The spiker FSB is much longer than a std FSB, and the spiker version won't slide on far enough.

jrd182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    you will have one other small problem doing this.

Unless you currently already have a spiker FSB on the rifle, then the spiker FSB will not fit with out turning the OD of the barrel down where the extended FSB slides on. The spiker FSB is much longer than a std FSB, and the spiker version won't slide on far enough.

Thanks for the reply Clay. I already have the spiker FSB from Pars installed on the Mak-90.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You are right about the gas block having what looks like a standard cleaning rod holder that was ground down to just a groove for the rod.

I think the Bulgarian gas block will fit, and it should be less expensive than a Chinese one, so grinding it to look authentic won't be as much of a hit. For that matter just finding an original Chinese pre-MAK-90 gas block these days is almost as hard as winning the lottery.

You say you did find a Chinese gas block and unfortunately it didn't work. May I ask where you found it and what you paid?

jrd182

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    You are right about the gas block having what looks like a standard cleaning rod holder that was ground down to just a groove for the rod.

I think the Bulgarian gas block will fit, and it should be less expensive than a Chinese one, so grinding it to look authentic won't be as much of a hit. For that matter just finding an original Chinese pre-MAK-90 gas block these days is almost as hard as winning the lottery.

You say you did find a Chinese gas block and unfortunately it didn't work. May I ask where you found it and what you paid?

Indykid:
    I got it on GunBroker 12-5-2011 and paid $170.03 + shipping. This is a Chinese AKM gas block with bayonet lug very rare and very expensive.

Top Bottom