• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I am thinking about picking up a couple 80% AR15 lower receivers, what do I need to do to finish them. is there a shop in northern Indiana that will help me do the work myself? what equipment and tools will I need? when it is finished and is a firearm what do I need to engrave on it?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I have been toying with this idea too. Even before this last craziness.

Have these semi finished receivers gone crazy too? If you know where to get them cheap still please PM me.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    They look to be $80 - $120 right now so not a thing to do for money savings. I am also very interested but my drill press is not good enough to do this.

It would make a very interesting build party if we had a large enough group!

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    ok looked into it, Ares armor has 80% lowers if you order 100 or more they drop to $61 each for raw and $67 each for anodized so if we get a big group together we can pick up a bunch of lowers and a couple jigs for a big build party. as long as each person does their own milling its perfectly legal. the drill press jigs are $125 each so if we can gather up some drill presses we're good to go.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    what about a fully automatic weapon ??

If you get caught with it you will be taking an all expenses paid trip to Buggery World for at least 10 years:(. All the same rules apply to any other ar. No select fire, no sbr without proper paperwork and stamp. The advantage would be an un numbered gun. I looked into this a couple of years ago. I bought a book and a few other things.

Once made the ATF "prefers" you make up a number and put your name and the city you made it in. "In case it gets stolen"

Not REQUIRED and kind of defeats the purpose. But with todays, prices on lowers, if you have the equipment and the ability it is a good alternative. But I checked a couple of places and they are out of stock at this time.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm hoping to do an 80% this summer. I was originally going to do it from a 0% but the mag well looks to be the difficult part unless you wire edm it. I have a small cnc mill so an 80% should be pretty straight forward. I also have a small anodizing tank so maybe if some people want to split the cost of the end mills and reamers with me, I could have some over to push the buttons on their own.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm hoping to do an 80% this summer. I was originally going to do it from a 0% but the mag well looks to be the difficult part unless you wire edm it. I have a small cnc mill so an 80% should be pretty straight forward. I also have a small anodizing tank so maybe if some people want to split the cost of the end mills and reamers with me, I could have some over to push the buttons on their own.

^^ that sounds like a plan, now to get on buying the raw lowers

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

That sounds like a plan. It, at least, smells like one. Add in pizza and it is an INGO event (small or large it qualifies).

The cost of the guides was ~$125 or a tad more. Given 5 guests donating $30 each can cover the costs and then some. In addition, you get to keep the guides.

Hmmm.... If interested please PM me and we can talk more!

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    hmmm, I'm not all that into ARs, but I like the idea of un-numbered rifles that are completely legal... Plus I really want to learn how to do CNC... eventually would like to get my own milling setup.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Oh, hey, just saw that you are newish here.

Hope my post did not come across as a "welcome to the board, we're gonna invite ourselves over to your house".

Potential protocol fail there.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    but it sure does smell like a plan. we need a group buy orginized for the lowers, they are $61 each for raw aluminum if we order 100 or more count me in for 4 myself...

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Oh, hey, just saw that you are newish here.

Hope my post did not come across as a "welcome to the board, we're gonna invite ourselves over to your house".

Potential protocol fail there.

No worries. I have been wanting to do this for a while. With the CNC mill, I don't think the guides would be necessary. I think those are for doing them on a drill press with drill bits. With the cnc mill, you should just need a jig or two to let you slap another one on the table without having to re-set up and reindicate. I should be able to make those pretty easily.

Top Bottom