• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Anybody refinish a wood stock assembly with a spray on textured finish?

If so, what product did you use and how did you prep it?

Thanks.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On my 600 I just put a couple coats of primer on it, then shot the textured outdoor furniture paint.

KEEP IT THIN.

If too thick it will compress and leave smooth spots.

Just a quick spray and let thoroughly dry. Do that until fully covered and STOP.

I then later did at least 3 coats of clear, which removed some of the feel of the texture below (filled in topography to a degree).

Half arsed snow camo job over textured paint

picture.php

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks.

My plan is to get a matte black textured finish on two guns, a Rossi 92 levergun and a Stoeger Condor Outback.
    Both have crappy finishes and I want them to match.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I only had a year on that snow camo, it held up OK.
    Did a plastic stock the same way and it held up too.

My current rifle has no texture under the camo, and it's a couple of yrs old and gets abused. Looks like new. But I have a few coats of clear on it as protector.

No finger oils on my stocks when priming or painting, dunno if that's key or not, but I wore gloves.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I did some internet research a while back and lots of folks recommended a specific bed liner product you can get at Autozone. Comes in a convenient spray bomb size as well. I picked some up to do a Marlin 336 stock and will try to look when I get home for the name.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    I did some internet research a while back and lots of folks recommended a specific bed liner product you can get at Autozone. Comes in a convenient spray bomb size as well. I picked some up to do a Marlin 336 stock and will try to look when I get home for the name.

Agreed. The Brands you are thinking of is DeeZee or Duplicolor. DeeZee is probably better stuff but Duplicolor has a greater variety of colors available. Both are pretty tough and scratch resistant.

Tomfoolery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Auburn IN
    Duplicolor sounds right. I liked the option of a spray can as i was only doing a single stock.

I've used Duplicolor on a few projects, never a gunstock but it should do what you want it too. DeeZee has a much longer cure time and just seems stronger but I could be wrong about all of that. I know you can Duplicolor in about 50 different colors which is nice if you're doing camo/digital pattern work. DeeZee comes in black, black and black lol.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Looks like Rustoleum has a matte black bedliner spray in a rattle can, this is what I will more than likely use.

Thanks all.

Another question, any thoughts on prepping the wood stock other than normal sanding?

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Looks like Rustoleum has a matte black bedliner spray in a rattle can, this is what I will more than likely use.

Thanks all.

Another question, any thoughts on prepping the wood stock other than normal sanding?

With the bed liner I would make it rough, give it somthing to stick too.

Top Bottom