• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    A friend told me of a pawn shop that he found had a pretty good supply of firearms, so I stopped by last Wednesday when I was in the area to take a look around. Not looking for anything in particular really. Have a small wish list, but just browsing.....

They had several guns. Not a lot that I would consider very high end, but I can be a bit of a gun snob. I handled a Sig P290, and considered it.

But I noticed a lever action rifle on the rack and asked to see it. Was a Marlin 1894 in 44mag. With the exception of a couple handling marks and small dings, and the Marlin bullseye being loose in the stock (but was there so I'll glue it back in), it looked very good. Not even a scratch on the loading gate, so I'm pretty sure it's unfired.

Guy helping me even said they even had the box for it.

Well, I hesitated. Just wasn't sure about the price. And didn't take it with me. But came home and did some research and went back this afternoon hoping it was still there. Yep! I got it!! Wiped it down good when I got home, and can barely see a mark on her. Now the dilemma will be - do I shoot her or not?

Serial number starts with 18xxxx, so believe that makes it manufactured in 1982. JM proof mark on the barrel. And what served as a manual was in the box too.

picture.php

picture.php

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    wow nice find. ive stopped by a couple pawn shops and prices were a bit steep.

I'm with you! I'm not an expert on the economics of the pawn business, but it's clearly NOT from selling things to the public.

There are always lots of tools, cell phones, personal electronics, small appliances, and guns but these things are always overpriced. It also seems they are NEVER negotiable on the price. A few months back I was looking for a framing nailer so I stopped by a couple of pawn shops. Sure they had them, but the asking prices were MORE than retail. I went to Lowes and they had the SAME make/model new for LESS than the beat up and used pawn price!

I can just assume that the LOAN side of the business is incredibly lucrative!

But that's a FINE LOOKING rifle! I'd definitely shoot it! What's the point of a rifle you can't shoot? Kinda like a classic car you can't drive!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    IMHO the only way the value would go down by being shot is if you blew it up. If it functions as it should that should increase the value.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I have one just like it. Shoot it and keep it clean and oiled, it will appreciate in value. You made a very nice find. Someone must have needed some quick cash cause I'm sure they took a ugly loss selling it to a Pawn shop.

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    But that's a FINE LOOKING rifle! I'd definitely shoot it! What's the point of a rifle you can't shoot? Kinda like a classic car you can't drive!

I am the same way, I couldn't handle seeing it in the safe and not knowing how it shoots?!

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If you don't shoot it, when you die, your family will sell it to another pawn shop, somebody will buy it, post something on line about it and never shoot it either.

Do you think that's why these rifles were built? To cycle through pawn shops through eternity?

Shoot the dang thing.

Keep the screws snug. Marlins tend toward loosened screws as they are cycled.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yeah, I only own 2 guns I haven't shot - one is a Mosin 91/30 (I have 5 or 6) my wife wanted it as it was made in the year she was born (yep she that old). The other is a (I think 41 cal) CVA black powder revolver. A friend where I worked was an antique collector and had traded for several items - included was this gun in the box never been fired. He didn't collect guns so offered it to me for $30 or so - been about 20 years ago. I have it in a safe - I keep thinking I will fire it, just hasn't happened.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Thanks for all the compliments and kind words. Even being from a pawn shop, I think I got it for a few hundred under what I see the few on gunbroker bringing.

I've had a few Marlin lever guns, but I'm no expert by any means. I'm assuming the rubber buttpad was added to the gun. Am I on the right track? Figure that will take some of the bite out of the recoil, but I do prefer original/unmolested.

Still, it's in good shape, and maybe if it is indeed a non-original buttpad, I may be more inclined to actually shoot and hunt with it.

Top Bottom