• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thought Id post up a pic of my latest project I've been working on. Its a Steven's 200 in 223rem ditched the awful factory stock an replaced it with a Boyd's Prairie Hunter. I bedded the action an tweaked on the factory trigger a little and have it braking at a nice crisp 5.5lbs. This has been a nice little budget build that I have less than $350 (minus the scope) in. Its proven to be very accurate will post a pic of best group out of the first range trip. It was right at 1.25" with 3 rounds stacked on each other, and was shot using PMC factory loaded ammo. Finally with the help of a fellow member who sold me some of his .224HPBT 69gr projectiles Ill be able to work up a custom load for it. I shoot it of bench rest witch I shoot most all my rifles from but the gun is pretty light weight. I got the rifle with the intentions of building a Heavy Barreled bench gun but the rifle is a lot of fun the way it is and shoots very well with just factory ammo. I would think it will do a little better with some match stuff or my handloads. So I'm not sure if Ill leave it the way it is or continue the full on transformation (The Shilen Barrel I have for it sitting in the gun cabinet keeps calling my name to be installed :D). An now for a few pics :rockwoot:

Stevens_zps2fef205c.jpg

100yrds off bench, 55gr PMC, 5 shot group
    Stevenstar_zps27f829ec.jpg

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Very nice. I have the same rifle. So you didn't like the gray stock? I've been thinking about doing something with mine too. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. They are nice shooters for the money. Funny thing... after mine goes crack...I her this funny sound. Something like "meow" Gotta protect the bunnies for next season. hehe.

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Nice! Just got the same rifle today. I dropped it into a choate tactical stock. Still need to put glass on it. Can't wait to shoot it.

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I've got the same rifle also. I dropped mine in a Choate Varmint I got on here for $100, a $70 centerpoint scope, and replaced the trigger sping and have shot a couple 5 shot groups close to a half inch so far with 68gr Hornady Match and RL15. I just put a Burris scope on it and am waiting for some decent weather to shoot. They are definitely great budget rifles!!

RedThunder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Indy-North
    Very nice. Looking at one now in 30-06. For some strange reason, 30-06 is calling me, probably because its the only ammo I've seen on the shelves in the last year.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    This has been a nice little budget build that I have less than $350 (minus the scope) in.

You have less than $350 in the rifle, stock, and bipod? I clearly need to own a setup similar to yours. Break it down for me... how much for each and where did you find rifle, stock, and bipod?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I got the rifle for $200 bucks used of a friend of mine. An the Boyds stock was like $129 bucks after shipping and I already had the bipod, the bipod is just for the photo op. I shoot of bags.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got the Stevens back out this morning for a little more load development, an I think I may have a winner! I used 23gr of IMR 4320, 69gr Sierra HPBT, 2.235 COL. This yielded a pinch less that a 3/4" group, Talk about a good day at the range :rockwoot:.

This was 5 shot group, 100yrds of bench.

I1364635395_zpscdc5eaf3.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom