• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I picked up a badly abused K31 as part of a trade the stock had been poorly sporterized and then had the butt sawed off and replaced with a jerry rigged collapsible stock. the person had drilled a hole through the trigger guard in order to attach an ar15 pistol grip with a big wood screw. the top handguard and all metal furniture (barrel nands and buttplate) were likely long ago discarded. on top of all of this the rifle has recently been through a house fire that resulted in its sitting in standing water and having debris washed through the entire thing so there is rust and crud everywhere. it also had an aftermarket clamp on scope mount added as well as a clamp on muzzle brake (plan on removing to make room for the bayo)

I have started the process of restoring this sad little rifle and have run into a few slight roadblocks.... I have found a replacement stock and handguard set from Numrich but I cannot find the barrel bands. will the barrel bands from a 1911 or 1889 work because I have found those. I am having trouble tracking down a buttplate and the sling bar. any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Here are some pics of what it looked like when i first got my hands on it...

it also came with 3 sealed 480 round battle packs of this GP11, which I understand is some pretty good ammo for thise Swiss rifles

the outer cases were sooty and damp but the sealed wax-paper packages kept the ammo dry and its in perfect shape

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    i-has-a-sad.jpg

ihasamega128627047974349078.jpg

You might look around on some of these sites...

http://www.swissrifles.com/
    http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?13-Swiss-Weapons-Forum
    http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=37
    http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Last edited:

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    That one is sad. Are you sure it wouldn't make more sense to buy a complete k31 in good shape and sell this one for parts. I see too many issues.

Sorry,

Les

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Please tell me that they PAID YOU to remove that abortion from their shop.

Like Imyer said, but another rifle.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    actually a couple of days working with 0000 steel wool and oil as well as using a brass brush and some NeverDull in the bore has removed the surface rust and cleaned out the soot and debris. the barreled receiver and all functional parts seem to be in great order now. the challenge is replacing the stock furniture (buttplate, rear sling mount and barrel bands). pictures of the work up to this point will be posted later tonight...

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    the question remains....Do any of you Milsurp guys know if the barrel bands from the Schmidt Rubin 1911 or 1889 rifles work on the Schmidt Rubin K31? and where can I find a buttplate?

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    I have a Boyds walnut stock ,handguard, buttplate and barrel bands, spare barrel ,sling, sling bar, trigger guard, pm me for more info. Who ever did that to that once awesome rifle, needs to be ***** slapped.

Last edited:

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    I have a Boyds walnut stock ,handguard, buttplate and barrel bands, spare barrel ,sling, sling bar, trigger guard, pm me for more info. Who ever did that to that once awesome rifle, needs to be ***** slapped.

Nice!

If he doesn't want it, I'll take it.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    After a couple days working on the rifle it is shaping up pretty nice...

as you can see all of the rust and debris inside and out are gone, the blueing on the rifle is still in pretty good condition so I may not have to hot blue it. The bore is nice and shiny and the muzzle crown is in good shape. the bolt shined up really bright with a soft cloth and a dab of Flitz. Once I get a new stock and the furniture I think this ole gal is ready to run.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    awesome! I saw your post yesterday and though that rifle wasn't worth messing with, but you have brought it back from the dead for sure.

I would find a good stock for it, and leave it alone, just shoot it!

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    $350 sounds about fair, I have seen them a little cheaper and I have seen them more expensive. when you get it dont forget to check under the buttplate to see if the soldier that it was issued to originally has his name and information on a tag inside.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I got a beautiful walnut stock made by Boyd's Riflestocks from swissrifles1 and cant say thank you enough. the fit isn't perfect and will need some minor filing. the action will need to be glass bedded but I am going to put in some temporary shims for now so I can take her out for a test drive. I still need to pick up a magazine and a bayonet but I will put some pics up tomorrow afternoon of the work so far.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I got a beautiful walnut stock made by Boyd's Riflestocks from swissrifles1 and cant say thank you enough. the fit isn't perfect and will need some minor filing. the action will need to be glass bedded but I am going to put in some temporary shims for now so I can take her out for a test drive. I still need to pick up a magazine and a bayonet but I will put some pics up tomorrow afternoon of the work so far.
    Can't wait to see how it comes out. You really did a fantastic job of getting that barrel and action restored! :yesway:

Top Bottom