• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Steuben Co.
    I had heard there was a push to legalize the 300 blackout for deer hunting in Indiana.

Is this true and if so has there been any positive progression?

Thanks

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Doesn't meet the min. diameter requirements for use out of a rifle.

It's legal for use out of a handgun.

As far as I know, other than suppressors being legal for hunting on 1-July-13, no new hunting rules/laws in effect.

DNR: Hunting & Trapping Guide is your friend. Download it. Read it. Become familiar with it.

-J-

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I had heard there was a push to legalize the 300 blackout for deer hunting in Indiana.

Is this true and if so has there been any positive progression?

Thanks

I don't recall hearing that there was a proposal to add the .300 BLK to the list of permissible rifle cartridges for deer in Indiana.

Specifically the rule that eliminates .300 BLK is:

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons.

The case length is OK but the .308 diameter bullet fails to meet the .357" requirement. :(

But you were just looking for that reason to get a .458 SOCOM upper for your AR, right? ;)

dantrom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Steuben Co.
    I hadnt heard of a proposal either. It was local gun shop talk and didn't know just how in the know the source was. I have read and know the dnr rules and restrictions but thank you..

But you were just looking for that reason to get a .458 SOCOM upper for your AR, right? ;)

Right you are!! I would love to give a 458 a try, I was actually extremely impressed with my 6.8 spc I used on a deer hunt in Michigan last year. Wish I could just use that here in the state... Alas the restrictions..

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    To add a bit more info:

.300 Blk IS legal for deer hunting, out of a rifle... But only on depredation permits/tags/whatever they're called.

I would love for them to legalize 6.5 Grendel

AR pistol! (or depredation permit...) :D

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Right you are!! I would love to give a 458 a try....

I knew it! How can you not get even a little excited over something like this:

458-socom-91.jpg

:ar15:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I knew it! How can you not get even a little excited over something like this:

458-socom-91.jpg

:ar15:

They can be pretty dang accurate too, the flyer was all me! I get a little jumpy after a few rounds :whistle:

83884703-1D85-4B27-A5DA-0D0C87FBE756-408-0000004D2B42BC67.jpg

This group was shot with 405gr lead plinking loads I worked up.

Bigbuck5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Arcadia, IN
    I Have a 300 Blackout and would love to see it make the list of legal calibers. However, I'm also very interested in the .458 Socom. Any Socom experts here? I would like to build an upper, but I don't like the profile on the Wilson Combat barrel. Are there any other barrel manufacturers?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I bought a Rock River upper in 458. Took two deer last year with it. I will be doing a bolt action conversion on a Stevens 200 action for this coming season.:rockwoot: can't wait til that one is done!

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    So you can hunt deer with a 300 blackout ar pistol though right?

I really hope so.....because this would be a great excuse for getting a new AAC 9" upper and a pistol lower

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I bought a Rock River upper in 458. Took two deer last year with it. I will be doing a bolt action conversion on a Stevens 200 action for this coming season.:rockwoot: can't wait til that one is done!
    THAT sounds like a great project! What chambering is the donor gun?

So you can hunt deer with a 300 blackout ar pistol though right?

I really hope so.....because this would be a great excuse for getting a new AAC 9" upper and a pistol lower

Yes. The cartridge meets legal requirements for use out of a handgun (.243 min diameter and min case length of 1.16" (Note, there is no max case length restriction on handgun hunting...)...so long as the handgun meets the 4.0" min barrel length restriction. And it is rifle-legal for depredation purposes.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin

The Stevens is a .308. The SOCOM uses a .308 bolt face, so the action is good to go. Simple barrel swap.... and new composite stock, possibly a trigger, new scope... and a trip to Diamond Collision for some Cerakote. Just wish the barrel would get here.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

The Stevens is a .308. The SOCOM uses a .308 bolt face, so the action is good to go. Simple barrel swap.... and new composite stock, possibly a trigger, new scope... and a trip to Diamond Collision for some Cerakote. Just wish the barrel would get here.

Sweet! That really sounds like a fun project.

INGO'er fireball doing the barrel?

Top Bottom