• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Didn't get a response in the "Accessories and Gear" section, so I thought I'd try over here. I've always liked Jeff Cooper's "scout" rifle concept, and decided to pick up a Ruger M77 Gunsite (http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsit...le/models.html) at the 1500 on Friday. I'm wanting to mount a variable low power optic forward the bolt, and I'm exploring my options. Right now, I'm leaning towards a 1.5X4 Leupold VX-R Scout (Leupold 1.5-5x33 VX-R Scout Scope), but I know these rifles are fairly popular, and wanted to see what others were using.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have used both the Leupold FX-II and the Burris 2.75x scout scopes. Between the two, I prefer the Burris, but they are pretty close.

Originally, I was using an older T/C 2-7x handgun pistol that worked well, but I found after 3x the FOV was so bad that it was not worth the headache.

If you are willing to pay for shipping and want to try a Leupold, send me a PM as mine is not in use.

Good news is that you can always switch to the XS Sights rail and use a traditional 1-4x scope if you decide to forgo the IER concept.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I use the leopold scout on my Brooklin scout setup. I did not care for the burris and I don't like the variable as the field of view is so small it is not worth the extra cash.

Scout scope are not for everyone. My father does not like it at all. My best friend loves it and his son can't hit crap with it. So 50/50 chance and a love or hate it choice.

I thnk being left eye dominate and right handed makes it a valid setup for me. I have always shot scoped pistol very well and until I got some coaching my skeet and trap shooting was horrid. Now I can shoot trap and skeet well but I look like a pirate.

If you are unsure about the scout setuo NC star makes a 2-7 Ier scope that I have put on many a rossi pistol carbine rifle. They hold up well on them. I believe from my notes it was the ssb27522g but the link I have in explorer does not bring it up. I was getting them under 50 dollars. On a 308 you may have issues but it was 50 dollars a good scout will cost about 300.

I do not use or indorse NCSTAR scopes but I was getting a little cash to install what they purchased and I know that a few have held up 3 years now and over 1000 rounds at least. I thied to convince them to upgrade.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Thanks for the responses guys, and an extra thanks to cwillour for the offer. I've used "scout" setups in the past on Mini's, M1A's, AK's, and lever guns, but most of that experience was with a red dot type optics. I have a Nightforce NXS-1X4 in my gun safe that I thought would be perfect for this rifle, but the eye relief won't work and I really want to utilize the scout mount. Still kind of torn on the variable power Leupold, but I would really like to try out their "fire dot". My primary purpose of buying this rifle is to use hunting on a friends farm, via his crop devastation permits. Typically, I'm not shooting past 2-300 yards because of how rough / hilly southern Indiana is. My Remington 700 is super heavy and setup for long range, so I think this rifle will be perfect.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Have the Leupold on a Steyr Scout and like it. Have not tried the Burris. I put a Hi-Lux Variable LER on my GSR. have not tried it yet, but... Was recommended by some on the website noted above.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Anyone on here have experience with the Weaver Scout scopes? The only Weavers I've owned were the old steel tube ones on ancient 22 rifles.
    Weaver Classic K-Series Scout Rifle Scope 4x 28mm Dual-X Reticle Matte

I have not used their Scout, but I have had good luck with some of their newer production Classic V-series scopes. The glass has given good clarity in low-light and the scopes have held up well.

The thing that has kept me away from the Weaver 4x Scout is the 8.5' @ 100yd FOV. I like the scout positioning and am fine with the reduced FOV as a tradeoff but, as with using the variable pistol scope, there comes a point where it seems to make the system difficult to use.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The thing that has kept me away from the Weaver 4x Scout is the 8.5' @ 100yd FOV. I like the scout positioning and am fine with the reduced FOV as a tradeoff but, as with using the variable pistol scope, there comes a point where it seems to make the system difficult to use.

Yes this. I would stick with the fixed 2.5 or 2.75.

My guess is that the 4 power high and 7 power high would be just for bench work.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    Top Bottom