Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: mak 90 history

Plinker

User Info Menu

Thanks for having me and thanks for reviving a five year old thread lol so that pretty much explains everything and what my thoughts were so far. That confirmed everything, I went to a local dealer tonight who I heard from a friend knew a thing or two about these and he said the exact same thing pretty much. So where abouts and how it got here aside now. Is the gun itself still in theory a polytech being it's from the same factory and they originally had it built? Finish on it seems to be decent still, chrome lined barrel, straightcut receiver with some cheap plastic stock set, and an unknown to me atleast manufacturer muzzle break. Doesnt look pinned or welded but it doesnt come off by hand and there is no longer a pin in the front sight so I'm assuming it's pretty tight and probably doesnt want to be disturbed at this point. But like I said I'm pretty to new to this. All around I'm happy with the rifle so far will be a good shooter not looking for a safe queen. But debating if it's worth tracking down some original stock sets or just buying new ones like ironwood. The price different isn't too much really. Thanks again glad to see you're doing well

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by indykid View Post
    Welcome to the group BrunoN!

There were many rifles in port when the George Bush the First declared features of a rifle cause their owner to become a baby killing machine. The rifle you have seems to be one of them. Original markings on many were scrubbed completely off, some obvious and some very well done. This included the importer that was supposed to get the rifle. It is very possible that yours was partly scrubbed, obvious by the 386 and serial number. The original importers names were scrubbed, the rifle then converted from the evil baby killing 56S or AKS-762 to the MAK-90 approved name. After the evil parts were removed to meet the new AT and unconstitutional F sporting purpose clause of the new second amendment, they were then sold to most likely the first importer to show up.

I don't believe Keng ever import stamped any MAK-90s and they don't have record of your rifle because it went to another importer who then put their markings on it.

Indykid, you are an absolute encyclopedia on the Chinese AKs! I hope you don't mind, but I'm asking you for advice before I ever pull the trigger on buying a Chinese preban AK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjaeger View Post
    Indykid, you are an absolute encyclopedia on the Chinese AKs! I hope you don't mind, but I'm asking you for advice before I ever pull the trigger on buying a Chinese preban AK
    Thanks. I spent a lot of time on the phone talking to the actual importers in the past, and over a few decades got blown away by how much was available with very subtle variations in such a short time, and am really sick over the fact that George the First was such an anti-firearm "republican". I can't imagine the influence the Chinese could have been if the right of the people to keep and bear arms was not infringed.

I have no problem discussing a future purchase. Better to ask questions before than find out after that you bought something that was not what the seller thought it was, or told you.

BrunoN, your rifle was most likely built at the "Poly Technologies" factory for the Kengs. Many people thought that Norinco and Poly Tech were just export companies, but I do have paperwork to show that Norinco did in fact build the rifles with their names stamped on them, or at least according to the paperwork that came with them.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Yea man your knowledge of these is pretty insane
    Most I've seen of all the forums I've been reading. But Ok I understand. That's pretty cool, Looks like a found something half decent then. In your opinion and this may be subjective but would you think its worth tracking down some original furniture? Or just go with something like ironwood then I can put whatever finish I'd like on it. Like I said it's no museum quality with all the missing markings and ground bayo lugs under the barrel. But was kind of thinking of keeping the whole period correct original look. I've always been a fan of keeping things fairly original but if it's not worth it I dont wanna go crazy looking for the stuff online. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

If the rifle is used, just maintain it in good condition and enjoy it at the range. Chinese AK variants had arguably the best trigger feel of any factory built import.

Changing the front sight and gas block to return to pre-Bush1 is very expensive as the parts are hard to find.

Original furniture would usually be a heavy wood Bush-hole stock but there was one importer that used a plastic stock set from Choate. Nothing wrong with original MAK-90 if your hands fit.

Ironwood Designs is a great way to add a pistol grip stock set that would allow you to custom stain it. Been there, done it and very happy with results.

If it was new in box I would say keep it original, but used condition, enjoy it!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Fair enough sounds good to me. Really appreciate your help. I'll post updates when the time comes. Thanks again and take care!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2