• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My uncle just gave me my grandpas enfield anything I should know about them before I go test fire it?

Be sure that you clean it up very well and check the bore for obstructions. If it's been sitting for a long time, there is no telling if something is stuffed down the bore.

When my Grampas Jap rifle was passed down, the bore was full of crude & rust. Glad somebody didn't try to just load it up and shoot it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Undeadpuppetshow,

If this was a war bringback weapon try really hard to find the the paperwork that goes along with it! This will increase its value significantly for sale in the future and historical value to your family.

An Enfield was originally configured in British .303, but some have been modified for other calibers. Be very careful on investigating the rifle before loading it.

I pray that it was not bubba'd by someone in the family. The closer to original configuration it is the better. Do not sand it down or modify the wood in any way! Clean the bore and check it as others have posted. Other than that a gentle wiping of dust and dirt is all that may be needed to keeps its value intact.

Oh, yeah, and :postpics:

The reason for this is to see the make and model of Enfield you have to determine more information. Is it a No. I Mk III? Or a No IV Mk I? Or a No V? Or possibly a No I Mk V?

Post detailed pics of the markings on the receiver to allow us to better help you.

Ask your uncle or grandmother ANY history or stories about the rifle. Their information will be a wonderful piece of history for your children and grandchildren.

Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    To Undeadpuppetshow,

If this was a war bringback weapon try really hard to find the the paperwork that goes along with it! This will increase its value significantly for sale in the future and historical value to your family.

An Enfield was originally configured in British .303, but some have been modified for other calibers. Be very careful on investigating the rifle before loading it.

I pray that it was not bubba'd by someone in the family. The closer to original configuration it is the better. Do not sand it down or modify the wood in any way! Clean the bore and check it as others have posted. Other than that a gentle wiping of dust and dirt is all that may be needed to keeps its value intact.

Oh, yeah, and :postpics:

The reason for this is to see the make and model of Enfield you have to determine more information. Is it a No. I Mk III? Or a No IV Mk I? Or a No V? Or possibly a No I Mk V?

Post detailed pics of the markings on the receiver to allow us to better help you.

Ask your uncle or grandmother ANY history or stories about the rifle. Their information will be a wonderful piece of history for your children and grandchildren.

Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

All of this ^^^^^^^^^

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Sorry I haven't posted pics yet injured my arm at work so haven't had a chance yet about to start taking some now. Also I am still pretty new to guns so would you please explain what headspace is to me since bloodandgutsmurphy had said to check it.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    I've got three No4 mk1s. They are fine rifles and a blast to shoot. Haven't had any headspace issues with mine. Enjoy it and its history! Ammo is a bit pricey, but what isn't these days! Plenty of info out there about them on the web. It's value is in keeping it original, so try to resist the urge to bubba it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    picture.php
    says no 4 mk1 (F)FTR THEN ON LINE BELOW BG 11187 < THIS LOOKS SCRATCHED ON OVER AN IMPRINT THAT SAYS NO4 MK1
    picture.php
    M 1943 THEN BELOW BG FOLLOWED BY WHAT COULD BE A V A W OR JUST SOME SCRATCHES AND THEN BELOW THAT 11187
    picture.php
    how do i make these pics larger

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    picture.php
    says no 4 mk1 (F)FTR THEN ON LINE BELOW BG 11187 < THIS LOOKS SCRATCHED ON OVER AN IMPRINT THAT SAYS NO4 MK1
    picture.php
    M 1943 THEN BELOW BG FOLLOWED BY WHAT COULD BE A V A W OR JUST SOME SCRATCHES AND THEN BELOW THAT 11187
    picture.php
    how do i make these pics larger

Should be a nice firing rifle. No4 MkI is the rifle the British used during WWII. The "FTR" means Factory Thorough Repair, the 11187 is the serial number. I have a No5 with the same marking. Save your pics to Photobucket (it's free) and paste the pic link here and they will be nice and large. Look at the muzzle end for import markings.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Undeadpuppetshow,

Good progress so far. From the tiny pics (yes, you need larger ones) we can see that it is indeed a No 4, Mk I.

It does not look bubba'd, which is a GOOD thing!

I have several books in my small library that can help give a better idea as to some of the history of this rifle if you can post larger pics.

As I recall the No 4 Mk I replaced the No 1 Mk III due to cost cutting improvements during production. Thus, it was cheaper and faster to manufacture during a wartime footing.

It should be fun to shoot once you determine 100% the caliber of the rifle. Do not assume original configuration. It is probably still in .303 but make certain before using.

If you can also get a picture of the crown. I believe this made a difference on factory or year. I forget which.

Regards,

Doug

icky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    montpelier
    it could be american made and not be a p17/p14 remington made some and shipped them overseas early in the war. mine is marked U.S. property across the top of the recever.

Top Bottom