• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    We had night fire training the other night. We were training at the 12 yard line with automatic fire on shoot- no shoot targets. I had a malfunction that I promptly attempted to clear. The bolt was forward but not in battery. When I ran the charging handle I though I saw a live round eject but it was dark, had three cars with sirens blaring, flashing LED and strobes all around me and I was on the move so I wasn't 100% sure. After getting back on the trigger I had no hammer drop. Transitioned to my sidearm which I should have done first BTW. :draw:

We run "A Hot Range" so all guns are kept loaded and topped off at all times. Once I had the time I checked my rifle and found the bolt was forward on a live round but the bolt was out of battery. I dropped the mag and ejected a live round. The bolt would not go into battery on a empty chamber. Figuring I had a chunk of brass, primer or other debris in the locking lug area I shined my light inside and noticed a small piece if something in there.

Ended up benching the gun and tearing it down. It ended up being a sheared off locking lug. In 30+ years of shooting the M16 this was my first. I replaced the bolt with a spare, checked the head space and finished my firing problems.

The gun is a 14.5" SOCOM barreled Colt M16A1. The gun is a 6 digit serial numbered very early model marked XM15E1. I rebuilt it three years ago and modernized into a M4. Everything on the gun is Colt manufactured as best as I can tell. During re barrel the bolt was reused and head space checked fine even though it was a well worn bolt and a new Colt barrel. By my log book this gun has 7250 rounds since rebuilt, mostly TAP in 40, 55 and 75 grain . No telling how many on the bolt but many, many more then that.

All in all a non event but I thought I would share. I took some pics but my camera is in my trunk and to lazy to go get it. I will post them later if anyone is interested. And that is pretty much that..sheared locking lug on a M16.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got an Armalite that has a shortened bolt lug closest adjacent to the extractor, which purportedly alleviates the problem of shearing a lug. I haven't sheared a lug on any of my BCGs yet (on any of my various make AR15s) so I can't tell if it is an effective solution or not, but I was curious if anyone can attest to improved service life on the Armalite components?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I've got an Armalite that has a shortened bolt lug closest adjacent to the extractor, which purportedly alleviates the problem of shearing a lug. I haven't sheared a lug on any of my BCGs yet (on any of my various make AR15s) so I can't tell if it is an effective solution or not, but I was curious if anyone can attest to improved service life on the Armalite components?

So from the shooters end it would be the lug on the right side? If so that is the one I lost. I am wondering on the theory behind shortening it.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    New barrel deserves a new bolt, no matter the round count. Good thing this was just in training although it could happen at any time since mechanical things can and do break.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    New barrel deserves a new bolt, no matter the round count. Good thing this was just in training although it could happen at any time since mechanical things can and do break.

You are correct. Have new one's on hand and will probably replace all of ours during my annual inspection of all of our weapons. Cheap insurance and glad it didn't happen when it might have mattered.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    j706, I wish I could tell you Armalite's reasoning - I happened to notice the difference between their BCG and those on my other ARs when I examined that one prior to buying it, but aside from a quick internet search to confirm it was supposed to be that way from the factory, I didn't delve into it very deeply.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    j706, I wish I could tell you Armalite's reasoning - I happened to notice the difference between their BCG and those on my other ARs when I examined that one prior to buying it, but aside from a quick internet search to confirm it was supposed to be that way from the factory, I didn't delve into it very deeply.

Thanks

Top Bottom