• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Looking to add optics to my heavy barrel Remington 40X .22LR. I will hopefully be using it in the near future to shoot on a 300 Meter range. I presently have iron sights good for me and my eyes out to 100 yards only.

I have heard good and bad things about the relatively new Hi-Lux Malcolm 8X USMC reproduction scope...seems early 2012 examples had poor quality mounts and cheap screws to mount them with. I like the look and would consider putting one on this 40X, but would consider most anything at this point...just doing my research. My 40X has scope mounting blocks on the barrel and receiver but no idea what rings would fit.

Thoughts??

thanks,
    Roger

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Look at the redfield 3200 12, 16, 24 power scopes as that and the urntal scopes are whAt those mounting spots are for.

The malcun USMCSniper will work but 8 power at 300 meters is not enough for a bench rest gun at least for me.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A 40X deserves a high-quality optic.

If nostalgia is your thing, Redfield has a limited edition M40 Commemorative 3-9x40 scope that might interest you.

Otherwise, depends if you want high magnification dot or duplex for shooting from a rest, or a mil-dot/hash type reticle for use as a trainer.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Looking to add optics to my heavy barrel Remington 40X .22LR. I will hopefully be using it in the near future to shoot on a 300 Meter range. I presently have iron sights good for me and my eyes out to 100 yards only.

I have heard good and bad things about the relatively new Hi-Lux Malcolm 8X USMC reproduction scope...seems early 2012 examples had poor quality mounts and cheap screws to mount them with. I like the look and would consider putting one on this 40X, but would consider most anything at this point...just doing my research. My 40X has scope mounting blocks on the barrel and receiver but no idea what rings would fit.

Thoughts??

thanks,
    Roger

With a 3/4 moa tube diameter, I doubt that scope will work for 300 yd shooting. I cant find exact specs on that scope's internal travel, but your going to been a 20-25moa base, and about 70 moa of internal travel. I doubt a 3/4 moa tube can produce 70 moa travel, but I cant find the exact data.

For long range rimfire you need 2 things. Internal travel (typically means 30mm tube) and tracking. Ive never heard of a Hi-Lux tracking correctly, but anything is possible.

What budget are you looking at?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A 40X deserves a high-quality optic.

If nostalgia is your thing, Redfield has a limited edition M40 Commemorative 3-9x40 scope that might interest you.

Otherwise, depends if you want high magnification dot or duplex for shooting from a rest, or a mil-dot/hash type reticle for use as a trainer.

I cant find that scopes internal travel listed, but I doubt it would work for 300 yds. A 22lr from a 50yd zero will drop roughly 54 moa at 300 yds.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Go all the way old school with an external adjustment Unertl or an old Lyman external mount with micrometer spindles. Way cool and they were very accurate and repeatable.

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    With a 3/4 moa tube diameter, I doubt that scope will work for 300 yd shooting. I cant find exact specs on that scope's internal travel, but your going to been a 20-25moa base, and about 70 moa of internal travel. I doubt a 3/4 moa tube can produce 70 moa travel, but I cant find the exact data.

For long range rimfire you need 2 things. Internal travel (typically means 30mm tube) and tracking. Ive never heard of a Hi-Lux tracking correctly, but anything is possible.

What budget are you looking at?

Alan, my budget is $750-$1000 to set this Remington 40X up for 300 meters. I don't understand enough about optics to know what internal travel and tracking means??

One thing that seems important is the distance between the mounting blocks now on the rifle. One is mounted to the receiver behind the bolt, other forward on the barrel. They are 11 inches apart on center, so any scope that will work with this rifle needs to be fairly long to span the blocks.

I appreciate everyone's input...I really love this rifle and want to do this right so I can see and hit well at 300 Meters.

cheers,
    Roger

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Alan, my budget is $750-$1000 to set this Remington 40X up for 300 meters. I don't understand enough about optics to know what internal travel and tracking means??

One thing that seems important is the distance between the mounting blocks now on the rifle. One is mounted to the receiver behind the bolt, other forward on the barrel. They are 11 inches apart on center, so any scope that will work with this rifle needs to be fairly long to span the blocks.

I appreciate everyone's input...I really love this rifle and want to do this right so I can see and hit well at 300 Meters.

cheers,
    Roger

Is it drilled and tapped for a 700 style Picatinny rail.

Tracking is a scopes ability to dial the turrets, and it move you POI exactly what it says it will. If the scope has 1/4moa clicks, and your shooting 100 yds the POI should move exactly 1/4 inch per click, and each click should move the exact same amount. A lot of scopes on the market today don't move exactly the same, or exactly what they say they will, so basically if you dial for range, and return to your original zero you find that your rifle is no longer sighted in, and every bit of data you got can be thrown out the window.

Internal travels is the amount of movement your scope has from the top to the bottom of your adjustment. For instance say you put a scope with 60 moa of internal travel on your rifle. Hypothetically say you get a 50 yd zero in the exact center of your internal travel (never happens in real life) That would mean you have the ability to dial 30 moa up, 30 moa down, 30moa left, 30moa right. Now if you go to shoot 300 yds you will need to dial your POI up 52 moa (thats my rifle and ammo, your milage may very a couple moa) and you only had 30 availible you would find you run out of travel in your scope near the 225yd line.

Now if your scope has 80 moa of internal travel and everything else was identical then you would run out of elevation travel at the 260ish yd line.

If you have a 20 moa base and a scope with 80 moa of travel you would end up with 60 moa of up, 20moa down, 40 left, 40 right. With 60 moa of travel you can dial out to 325 ish.

This is one of those things its hard to type out and make sense. If that is confusing call me at 765-580-0986 and I can explain it over the phone. The good news is your not going to be hindered by your budget. I have a 22lr that I take out to 500 yds. The scope I have on it runs 799 so its well within your budget.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I cant find that scopes internal travel listed, but I doubt it would work for 300 yds. A 22lr from a 50yd zero will drop roughly 54 moa at 300 yds.

the leatherwood Malcolm USMCSniper is going to be hard to find internal travel listed as it is an external adjustment rifle scope with special mounts included. The mounts are for a 1903 Springfield but a call to the manufacture should clear up what it will work on and I believe the rem 40x and the kimber 82g and Annie's are good with that scope.

That said again with advances in optics over the years since thT scope was made you should be able to get a very good scope in the large price range you are looking at spending. Look at eBay for the redfield 3200 as that scope was made to go with the 40x rifle and depending on year the 40x was made would be period correct. It has external adjustments also and your choice of 3 magnification levels but it is a fix power rifle scope and 42769vette hates fixed power scopes.

ebay or the auction sites will have the redfield 3200. They go 400-1000 for them with box and all extras.

If you look at the receiver you might see a dovetail and most target rifles are 11mm not English equivalent measurement. With correct rail you can run any modern scope you are only giving up the look and period correctness. The old Denver red fields were hard to beat when they came out. Weaver makes the t36 which is worth a look at and I am sure there are lots of other quality ones on the market. Personally at 300 yRds I want a min of 24 power fine crosshairs and 1/8 inch clicks at 100 yards.

just
    my my two cents from a bench rest guy who loves the look of a 24 inch long fixed power rifle scope.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the leatherwood Malcolm USMCSniper is going to be hard to find internal travel listed as it is an external adjustment rifle scope with special mounts included.

You sir are correct, I must have had a brain fart. Do you know how much travel is in those mounts?

Ill start liking fixed power scopes as soon as someone explains to me what you can do with a 10x scope that cant be done with a 4-12.:): At one point and time fixed power scopes made sense, but with modern technology they have lost there advantage. The only slight advantage is the ability to take measurements without paying for FFP. With a plex reticle every advantage is gone.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    At 300 with a 50 yard zero i came up with a trajectory that leaves you 150" down. With that said you need a base with at least 20 MOA built in and a scope with a hell of an internal travel. Point blank, based on your own admission about not knowing enough about scopes and their set up continue your research b4 you buy.
    The distance of 300 is going to dictate what scope you buy, not anyones opinion. Your going to end up with a scope with at least a 30mm main tube and a canted base for assistance. The good news is you can go with aluminum which will be cheaper and lighter
    since your rig wont recoil like a mule and most likely wont be abused.

Your rifle should be drilled and tapped for a scope base on teh reciever. Look down at it to see the holes.

i did a 40x as a 100 yard shooter years ago. It was a great trainer at that distance. At 300 with .22lr your going to have to be spot on with all your calls. Not impossible, just improbable due to the fact not many people have the patience, desire, skill, time and money to master it. GL.

60moa or better of internal travel is what I'd be looking at first in a scope, then everything else will need to fall into play.

Last edited:

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    OK...this is starting to make sense...but just starting!

I have just done some careful measurements on my 40X and I believe it is identical in screw hole placement atop the receiver to that shown in the photo above for SN 15947:

My measurements are as follows:
    * Rearmost pair of screw holes are 4.35 inches on center from the pair just in front of chamber
    * Rearmost pair of screw holes are drilled 0.600 inches apart
    * Pair of screw holes just in front of chamber are 0.885 inches apart

So, I guess I COULD put a scope base like in the above photo on my 40X.

I had been limiting my thinking to a scope having to bridge from the rear most mount to one set over 11 inches forward.

That box checked, I'm back to finding a scope that fits such a scope base and meets the moa requirements noted above. I am rapidly getting to the point where I want to place this rifle in someone's capable hands who can sell me the right scope, install it and at least rough calibrate it so I can hit a 15 inch gong at 300 meters. I would obviously need ample elevation adjustment to dial it in to that distance and target. I do NOT intend to use this rifle for shorter distances...I want to set it up for 300 meters and leave it there.

Although a "period correct" scope would be desirable, I am more interested in clear optics, maybe a ballistic plex reticle and a fair amount of adjustable magnification if possible. My 62 year old eyes are OK for 100 yard iron sights...but definitely need help at 300 meters.

Gentlemen, I truly appreciate your inputs on this question of scoping my 40X for 300 Meters. I have a number of guns, but only one scope to my name, a 3x-9x-40 Trijicon used out to 100 yards on a 10/22. I am learning I have MUCH to learn about the world of optics before I splash out a bunch of money for possibly the wrong scope on my 40X.

thanks,
    Roger
    View attachment 21897

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    OK...this is starting to make sense...but just starting!

I have just done some careful measurements on my 40X and I believe it is identical in screw hole placement atop the receiver to that shown in the photo above for SN 15947:

My measurements are as follows:
    * Rearmost pair of screw holes are 4.35 inches on center from the pair just in front of chamber
    * Rearmost pair of screw holes are drilled 0.600 inches apart
    * Pair of screw holes just in front of chamber are 0.885 inches apart

So, I guess I COULD put a scope base like in the above photo on my 40X.

I had been limiting my thinking to a scope having to bridge from the rear most mount to one set over 11 inches forward.

That box checked, I'm back to finding a scope that fits such a scope base and meets the moa requirements noted above. I am rapidly getting to the point where I want to place this rifle in someone's capable hands who can sell me the right scope, install it and at least rough calibrate it so I can hit a 15 inch gong at 300 meters. I would obviously need ample elevation adjustment to dial it in to that distance and target. I do NOT intend to use this rifle for shorter distances...I want to set it up for 300 meters and leave it there.

Although a "period correct" scope would be desirable, I am more interested in clear optics, maybe a ballistic plex reticle and a fair amount of adjustable magnification if possible. My 62 year old eyes are OK for 100 yard iron sights...but definitely need help at 300 meters.

Gentlemen, I truly appreciate your inputs on this question of scoping my 40X for 300 Meters. I have a number of guns, but only one scope to my name, a 3x-9x-40 Trijicon used out to 100 yards on a 10/22. I am learning I have MUCH to learn about the world of optics before I splash out a bunch of money for possibly the wrong scope on my 40X.

thanks,
    Roger
    View attachment 21897

I'm not exactly your neighbor, but if you want to come out and bang some steel with my rifle at 300 yds and beyond, atleast you can see why I went the route I went, and learn a little about it in the process.

I will say this. You sir are starting off with a wonderful base action. Buying a 40x has always been on my to do list, but its never made my priority list if that makes sense.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    15" at 300 yards, much more doable. i thought we were trying to hit CD's (which are 4.5") at that distance. 15" at 300 is still all challenge as it's all wind calls that far out.

if you can master a reticle and use hold over you might be able to get away with a lot more choices.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The leather woods are reproductions of classic looks. They are not bench rest scopes per say as there are much better options today.

300 meters with a 22 is good practice for 308 at 1000 close drop amounts and windage.

There were different 40x models like the 40xb the 40x standard and target and the international match and I think a CPUple of different receivers used in the 40x so you may have to find your perfect setup and use just those mounting holes with rem 700 or 722 short action mounts. The 11 mm rail must have just been on the European guns and the kimber govt model.

IndianaRog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The leather woods are reproductions of classic looks. They are not bench rest scopes per say as there are much better options today.

300 meters with a 22 is good practice for 308 at 1000 close drop amounts and windage.

There were different 40x models like the 40xb the 40x standard and target and the international match and I think a CPUple of different receivers used in the 40x so you may have to find your perfect setup and use just those mounting holes with rem 700 or 722 short action mounts. The 11 mm rail must have just been on the European guns and the kimber govt model.

Maybe I created some confusion. As it stands now, my 40X has 3 short mounts screwed to the barrel/receiver. One up front on which I presently have an Olympic globe sight, one just in front of chamber with nothing on it and one just to rear of chamber with nothing on it. All three mounts measure 11 mm across the tops. Nothing has ever been attached to the rear two mounts as they are pristeen with no marks. Rear iron sight is a Redfield Olympic. At the moment I use nothing but the iron sights out to 100 yards and I'm not half bad !!!

When I noted the measurements above, it was to confirm that a modern scope base as pictured on that first receiver by Rolexrifleman would fit my rifle (to do so I'd have to remove those two rearward 11 mm mounts). Sorry if I'm more confusing than I should be...just don't know the proper lingo to talk scopes, having almost no experience with them, but realizing my eyes are not getting any younger and I want to shoot this 40X out to 300 M on range my club is building now.

Again, thanks for everyone's thoughts....this isn't as easy as I once envisioned...but I will get there!

cheers,
    Roger

Top Bottom