With AR-15 dropping in price, is there a reason to buy a mini-14 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Not really much of a reason. AR is more affordable, cheaper magazines, more accessories, and if built correctly is more accurate. They use the same ammo so no advantage to either there. Mini-14 I think wins in the looks department, but that doesn't count for much to most people.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Have you priced actual Mini-14 mags lately? Ruger knows that theirs are the only reliable ones.... And they're treated as such. VERY expensive.

A mini-30 would be a fun rifle, I think.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I have a mini-14 that I purchased on an impulse but don't think I would ever purchase another one. Don't get me wrong its a great gun and looks good too, but it has been in my safe ever since our first outing. Don't know why, but just don't enjoy it as much as my ARs.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have both AR-15 & MINI-14, the reason I bought the mini-14 was for the excellent price i bought them for. At that time the AR-15 were going for crazy money

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Mini-14 has a more reliable operating system(Piston vs. DI). Fact. My newer Mini-14 is definitely lighter than my KISS AR. The only hang-up is lack of accessories and crazy price for mags. People who knock the Mini-14 have never probably even shot one. The newer ones are far more accurate. They are just as accurate as my 2 16" and 2 14.5" ARs when using open sights. It is a nice handy little brush rifle as it was its intended purposes. YMMV.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Have you priced actual Mini-14 mags lately? Ruger knows that theirs are the only reliable ones.... And they're treated as such. VERY expensive.

A mini-30 would be a fun rifle, I think.

Before Sandy Hook you could get ruger brand mags for $20-30. I realize you could get AR mags at $8 but that is because its current issue military and extremely popular in the civilian market. If you think $20-30 is bad for magazines i think you weould crap yourself if you had buy anything for a HK.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I like the ergonomics of the AR platform better, as well as the fact that it is super easy to change out any part on them to customize it how you like. Match trigger? Drop-in, done. Longer/shorter barrel? Cheap tools and vice, done. Heavy barrel/light barrel? Cheap tools and a vice. Caliber change? Cheap tools and a vice. Mounting optics is easier on a flattop AR. I know there are scope bases for Mini's (like the mounts for M14/M1a platform), but they're not as solid as an AR upper.

If you don't have a .223/5.56 rifle, get an AR. If you already have an AR, buy another. Then get a Mini. =)

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've never bought a mini 14 based on the fact that every A-Team episode sent thousands of rounds down range and no bad guy ever sustained a gun shot wound.

Top Bottom