If you had a pre-64 model 70 30-06 would you...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    If you had a pre-64 (1952) Winchester Model 70, 30-06 that was tapped for a scope but had the original metal butt plate would you put a nice cushy pad on it? Would you get rings and scope it? Would you then go ahead and start hunting with it? BTW, it's not in pristine condition but it is original, functional and still looks decent (not a museum piece by any stretch of the imagination but still decent).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would not put a cushy pad on it. I might scope it. Maybe not. I would shoot the snot out of it. I would shoot everything legal to shoot with it.

I would feel sorry for all who don't own my rifle.

I would hold it in my lap while I watch tv every night. I love real rifles....

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I wouldn't alter the gun in any way that couldn't be reversed, but heck yea put a scope on it and hunt with it.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Scope or not to suit your intended purposes, for an '06 I'd say yes. As for the cushy pad, might consider an easily removed slip on or lace on, esp if the gun's LOP isn't already too long for you. The Kick Killer by Kick Eeze isn't too thick but still would help. Not as good looking as a permanent installation but easily removable with no change to the gun.
    You could also consider a shoulder pad ( that is worn, not attached to the gun) and this would be useful with any shoulder smackers you have.
    Kick Killer® Recoil Pads

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    From what you've described, you're not going to be able to retire off the profits when you decide to sell this rifle ... it's a shooter, so shoot it. People get all hung up on this notion that somehow a gun can't be modified ... add a scope, a recoil pad, have the action slicked up, carve mermaids into the stock ... do whatever you want to do to the rifle to make it more enjoyable for you to shoot it, then go out and shoot it.

Heck, even if this rifle was factory fresh, you won't be retiring off the profits when you sell it ... modify to suit your needs and shoot it.

If you can't bring yourself to do anything to this gun, then maybe it's time to sell it and buy something that will bring you joy when you do take it out and shoot it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Heck, I like recoil. I know I'm shooting a real caliber. The .06 is for real and a pleasure to hear and feel the rush.
    IF the gun fits now I'd be worried about the extra length from a pad hindering the handling of the rifle. IF you're going to put a pad on it do it right.
    The Model 70s are a beautiful rifle. I have one in .243 and it's my most accurate rifle for hunting. It's not stock anymore and proudly displays it's no safe queen. It's a real shooter. That's why it was built, modified, and worked as intended.

huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    thanks guys. good stuff here.

retire on it? not even close. respect for the riflle, it's heritage and being able to use it is really what i'm looking for. it's recoil isn't like my sluggo 12 gage shotty so i'm not going to cry shooting it. i might consider a lace on recoil pad or otherwise non life altering or non permanent modification but for now not.

now to start shopping for glass :)

huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I would not put a cushy pad on it. I might scope it. Maybe not. I would shoot the snot out of it. I would shoot everything legal to shoot with it.

I would feel sorry for all who don't own my rifle.

I would hold it in my lap while I watch tv every night. I love real rifles....

LOVE this one! Funny!!

huntsville

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I have a shooting vest that has a nice pad on the shoulder. Also if I'm hunting with it I'll be wearing a parka which should help too. I'll probably leave it alone until i turn into a wuss.

Now then, I have a classic model 70 from 2009 that is a beauty. I'm going back and forth on keeping both or just going with the pre. Oh decisions. The front site has that round cover on it which I think can easily slide off (and be placed in an envelope labeled appropriately of course).

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Shoot it. Suck the stock in tight so it doesnt kick you. Use your sighting method of choice.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Shoot it. My hunting buddy has a pre-64 in .264 win mag that he has used to kill darn never every big game animal that walks on North American soil. Rams, elk, all moose species, deer, caribou, cats, goats, antelope, etc...It is a real beater now after spending many days in a saddle scabbard and lashed to pack. In the end, it's a rifle with slick action. Nothing more, nothing less. It won't make you rich, so use it for it's intended purpose.

Dirty Steve

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you put the cushy pad on it you can most likely return it to to the original butt plate as the holes may line up. If not the new ones would be covered with the original butt plate.

I put a pad on my 30-06 because it kicks like a pissed off mule when shooting my round of choice.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Even better. Shop around and put some vintage quality glass on it. Old Texas Weaver comes to mind. Make it classy. Period correct. And then shoot the crap out of it :).

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Even better. Shop around and put some vintage quality glass on it. Old Texas Weaver comes to mind. Make it classy. Period correct. And then shoot the crap out of it :).

Good advice.I like to see old rifles with old scopes.You would be surprised how cheap you can buy them at gun shows sometimes.I bought a Lyman Wolverine for $30 one time. More Model 70s were made in 30-06 than any other caliber,followed by .270,I believe.Use it!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If it is not minty shape and a desired upscale model, shooting it is not going to lose money. Fit a packmeyer pad, and a good scope and rings. Enjoy it.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Another thing to consider is to find a replacement stock to substitute for your original one if you plan to use the rifle for some serious hunting (as in western states for big game under possibly adverse weather and handling conditions). If so, you could save the original stock in case you ever plan to sell the rifle. If you do not plan to do such hunting you could just leave the rifle as is and only shoot it on nice days at your favorite range, or even to pop a few ground hogs under nice weather conditions. Using the rifle as such, topped with a vintage scope, is something that appeals to me. However, it is your rifle to enjoy as you see fit. Happy shooting with your pre-64 classic!!

Top Bottom