• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    Indy
    Hello Everyone. Hoping I can get some insight on a rifle that I inherited. It is a Winchester 22 long rifle, model 52B. From what I have found, the serial number puts it at 1948. I would like to possibly sell this in the near future but not sure how much it is worth. It looks like it is in fairly good shape. I have attached quite a few photos in hope that someone can help.

Thanks!

Ben

Attachments

• winchester 22lr 52b pdf.jpg
      winchester 22lr 52b pdf.jpg
      281.9 KB · Views: 98

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    My blue book of gun values is outdated. However, the Win 52 may well be considered the holy grail of 22 rifles. Suggest you really make a study of the online gun auction sites. Gunbroker comes to mind. Also check Bud's online gun site. Lucky you, by the way. Oh, and welcome to INGO.

Edit to add; Ending serials- 1946- 56080 1947-60158 1948-64265 1949-68149.
    Also looks to be tapped for redfield (maybe other) scope mounts. Not good for collectors, apparently.

Last edited:

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    My friend..if you sell that rifle,to replace it with something modern..or whatever,you will be depriving yourself and your heirs the pleasure of owning and using one of the finest rifles ever made.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    That is a $1000 rifle or more,if unaltered and in reasonable condition. One of the greatest mistakes that I ever made was selling a 52C,because we needed the money.In retrospect..we would have survived without the cash. ( I have some money laying around,if you just have to sell it!..although probably not enough.)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't even think about selling that rifle until you find out what it's really worth.

Go look on GunBroker at the ended auctions.
    I found several that sold. One as low as $500, but some sold for more than $1,700.

DON'T "clean" it, other than a normal firearm routine cleaning. Use NO harsh solvents or strippers.
    Don't get anything on the stock, and if you do, clean it off immediately.

I have a Winchester 1885 "Low-Wall" that was originally made in .22short, but before I got it someone had changed the stock and replaced the Low-Wall barrel with a model 52B.
    I asked about this on another board and was told that the Winchester model 52B's were the match rifles of the day.
    You couldn't find a more accurate barrel at that time.

This being the case, the Model 52B barrels were used for MANY custom jobs.

You WILL end up regretting getting rid of that gun .

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    The 52B is only inferior to the 52C in that the C had a micro-motion trigger.I thought the B was last manufactured in 1947..The 52 Sporters are the ones who have gone out of sight in price!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My friend..if you sell that rifle,to replace it with something modern..or whatever,you will be depriving yourself and your heirs the pleasure of owning and using one of the finest rifles ever made.

He is right...And his name is Traderdan. If a guy has "trader" in his name and tells you to keep it you better hang on to it...IMHO ofcourse.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Your lucky. My family is poor, and inherited a Remington 522 that is worth about $50. :(

I would put a nice coat of oil on it, and hang on to it for another 20 years or so.

fishmdf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    Muskegon
    OK my turn to sound uninformed. I have a Winchester 52B serial number BS 4730. 24"barrell. Sporting. It has never been fired. Still in original box. extra mag and scope mounts and instruction manual. Any idea what it is worth?

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    serveimage

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Don't sell it....I'm lucky enough to be the caretaker of ummmm more than a Few :) Winchester 52's, in all the various incarnations.....and I'll bet if you ever shoot it, you'll fall in love. From 1st glance it appears all original and has the standard weight barrel as opposed to the heavy or bull barrel. The stock is the earlier, more military type with external band as opposed to the Marksman, with internal....if you have questions, pm. I'll be glad to help. ��

Last edited:

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    OK my turn to sound uninformed. I have a Winchester 52B serial number BS 4730. 24"barrell. Sporting. It has never been fired. Still in original box. extra mag and scope mounts and instruction manual. Any idea what it is worth?

With thy that serial number...it's the reproduction run from the 1990's ...still valuable, just not as valuable as an original, check GB closed auctions for a price check, but remember to realize that kind of value you will have to list it there, local sales are usually not as robust...:twocents:

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Resurrection time. I got a bad rep comment from another member ( like 3 years ago and I just saw it, so apparently its not that big a deal lol) on this who apparently didn’t realize there were two different 52 Winchester rifles being discussed here. An original by the oP. And a repro by another member later. Hence my two comments. That were correct. In each case. The negative rep giver should read more closely the entire thread. Ok. Got that off my chest lol. Signing off

Last edited:
    Top Bottom