• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    A long time ago, this 1903 barrel appeared in a box of junk from a yard sale. The rollmark is
    U.S.
    Springfield
    Armory
    Model 1903
    64xxx
    I don't know nearly as much about these as some of you. Is this worth trying to buy the rest of the parts or is it just scrap iron? Any advice is welcome.

SM_1903_Rollmark_Redacted_zps1c739da5.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    SM_1903_Sight_zps81894b6f.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    SM_1903_Short_Left_zps78924bf3.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    SM_1903_Short_Right_zps0d7083e9.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    SM_1903_Top_zps579b1fe0.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    SM_1903_Long_Right_zps7ccdaf00.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    SM_1903_Long_Left_zps6f6cf424.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I never want to see any gun (or barreled action) go to the scrap heap. I own a 1903 and am proud to have it. I think you would have to accept that if you choose to restore it, it will not be a minute of angle rifle, but an example of the state of the art 110 years ago. The serial number is low, so there could be an issue of safety due to problems in this pattern's early manufacturing (see Uncle Google). Unless there is some unique provenance with the serial number range, you won't make money or get your money back if you go to sell the rifle after restoring it. Even at worst case, I think you could hit a man sized target at 100yds.

Good luck whatever direction you choose.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Thanks IndyJohn. It looks like this one was made in 1904 based on the S/N. I will have to do some more research on the "Low Serial Number" issue. It looks like the problems were with heat treating of some receivers and bolts.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've seen worse. How is the bore? It looks like it could be returned to a decent condition although I would not shoot it. I own several 03 & 03A3s and parts are available for them. Start with a bolt and then put it together over time and you'll end up with a complete rifle before long.

slowwideturns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I think it will be safe to use because if it was one of the unsafe ones it wouldve blown up sometime in the last 100 years you know? if it were mine i would rebuild it.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    If you decide not to do anything with it then I'd be happy to take it off your hands!

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    If you enjoy projects it could be fun. If you are looking at it strictly from the standpoint of whether it makes financial sense, you would be better off selling it as is.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Pretty neat find. If it were me, I think I'd have to try and build a rifle with it, but then I have a sick obsession with old things that go boom. :): From the article that jinks posted, it sounds like the likelihood of receiver failure was actually pretty small, and if you reload, you could probably work up some lower pressure rounds just to be on the safe side. Even if you never shot it, it would still be a pretty neat piece of history.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The bore looks pretty good and the rifling is still very pronounced. I am not sure if I would trust firing it after reading some online opinions (not surprisingly they vary from "Fire Away" to "Permanently Disable It"). It would be kind of neat to replace the missing parts since there is so much history in the 1903 and this is an early one. However, I am not sure about rebuilding a rifle that I wouldn't fire. Oh well, no rush, it has been waiting for a long time. Maybe I will casually keep an eye out for parts (starting with a bolt). Thanks for the input, at least i know more about it than I did before.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    They're great old rifles. One of the most accurate military bolt rifles of the day. I've got a couple and they're real shooters. Most people will never be able to shoot better than these old O3s can deliver.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    +1 If it is serial number below 800,000 due to hardening issues with the rec'r.but since you have not much in it,still would be cool to have.

Top Bottom