• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    So I just inherited said above shotgun. It's in great shape probably in the 700 dollar range like they are selling elsewhere. The question is since this is going to get passed down to my kids should I take her out from time to time and put some rounds through as in hunting bird or clean it and put it up. I'm pretty anal when it comes to cleaning my firearms and usually do a monthly cleaning even if I didn't take them to the range. What are your thoughts shoot and pass down or clean and pass down.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    So I just inherited said above shotgun. It's in great shape probably in the 700 dollar range like they are selling elsewhere. The question is since this is going to get passed down to my kids should I take her out from time to time and put some rounds through as in hunting bird or clean it and put it up. I'm pretty anal when it comes to cleaning my firearms and usually do a monthly cleaning even if I didn't take them to the range. What are your thoughts shoot and pass down or clean and pass down.
    Clean it after you shoot it and keep a good corrosion preventative on the barrel, receiver, bolt, etc. $700 range? Maybe if you are buying it at Gander Mtn or Cabelas. I bought the X-wife (when we were still married) a LT-20 for like $550 brand new back in 2005. Heck you can get a 11-87 Sportsman for $698 or less.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Remington 1100 LT-20 is a really nice soft shooting, usually very accurate shotgun. I used one to train my daughter how to shoot at a trap range we had in my back yard. Cycled everything including the super light loads I made up for her. When we moved from that house, I recleaned and oiled it down with WD-40 (listen for the groans) and put it in it's box. It was in storage for 10 years before I took it out to show my at that time teenage daughter what she learned on. I was really afraid to open the box, expecting to see a pile of rust, but was very happy to see that Remington looking as new as the day I bought it.

That said, I would suggest go ahead and enjoy it. Great bird shotgun, so enjoy taking it out and since you sound like me about caring for my firearms, I wouldn't worry about it out lasting you, and your family that you pass it down to. My 1100 LT-20 in now close to 40 years old, and still looks as good as the day I bought it, even though I have fired many thousand rounds through it.

One thing, and the only issue I had, somehow when cleaning I missed the gas ports in the ring under the barrel that transfers the gas to the operating area. I had an issue with some rounds not cycling, and when I took the barrel off, I realized that the nice shiny ring inside the the ring under the barrel was actually a ring of carbon and that the gas ports were blocked. A good cleaning to remove the carbon ring and find the gas ports underneath solve the problem I helped by not cleaning properly in that area. I won't fault the firearm for poor cleaning practice by the owner (me) but I did learn a bunch about gas operated firearms by that old Remington.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My first deer gun was an 1100 Lt. I shot it while hunting but that was it. I eventually upgraded to an 1187 and the 1100 just sits in the safe now. I say do with it what you want. If you enjoy the way it shoots and what you are shooting at with it, then go for it. If you don't have as much fun with it as something else in your arsenal then let it sit and pass it down with a lower round count.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I have one. I hunt squirrel with it every year. Its a great gun and cycles low brass just as well. Hardly any kick you can shoot all day with it. A long time ago they used to be 1200 dollar guns but thats going back a ways. Normally I nice one goes around 400 or so used anymore. I would shoot it as you wish and just clean iy. Onlu thing ive had to do to mine was replace a gas seal because I didnt know how to take care of a semi back then. Just oil it up take the barrel off and oil the seals there and its good to go.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Now my grandfather told me that if I wanted to shoot 2 3/4 like my other shotguns I can have some mod done. Any of you hear about this? If so is it worth it? Its in great shape easily 90-95% for a shotgun from 78.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Are you saying your LT 20 is a magnum?

Cool! :)

You can run regular 2 3/4" shells in a 3" mag chamber bbl. Probably won't cycle super light target loads though. And today's new steel shot dove loads will probably fail to cycle the action.

Real simple............if you want some lighter stuff to cycle a magnum 1100.............just buy a regular 2 3/4" bbl and put it on.

HOWEVER...............it may still not cycle the super light stuff.

The receivers within mode/gauge, are the same for magnum and non magnum. The difference is in the size and or number of gas ports in the bbl (magnums run one gas port, standards run two) and.............the action sleeve of magnums is heavier.

Back in the day some folks had their single port magnum barrels drilled for a second gas port. The 2nd port was threaded for a set screw, so the owner could set it up for mags or regs.

No doubt some folks forgot to put the screws back when shooting mags. That or new owners not knowing the bbls modfied, probably why most places don't do the mod anymore.
    I bet some places still do though.

Do not shoot lead 3" magnums, even if using a magnum bbl, on standard receiver guns. Again, the receivers are the same, but the action sleeves are different. You can convert a standard to shoot magnums safely (according to some pros) but you must change the bbl AND action sleeve. Of course Big Green will tell you not to, and magnum action sleeves are not available for conversion from the factory.

If yours is a LT 20 mag, I'd get another 2 3/4" chamber bbl for it. That way when you're out of the picture your heirs will have an easy time figuring out how to run it. Field bbl w 2 gas ports and lead target loads, it ought to run just fine.

Steel dove loads (in Modified or more open choke) might require your magnum to have the action sleeve changed from mag to standard (part available through reg channels). But then again, what form did you leave it in when the next guy gets it? Too many just look at what's on the bbl, never looking at the receiver to see what it says should be the proper action sleeve..........and then taking the forend off and checking to see if it corresponds.

I know to look.

Have met maybe one other guy who knows to look. With that, if a mag, and others going to use it..........only "mod" I'd do is to have an accessory bbl of standard chamber.

Last edited:

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    They are made to shoot. If you had inherited it "unfired in the box" then no, I would shoot it. If it's been shot and is used, you're not going to hurt a thing by shooting it. As already stated, just clean it and take good care of it. And, you don't need to clean it every month. Clean it, wipe off any finger prints, spray it down with a good gun oil and you can put it in a safe, dry place for a year and it will be fine.

However, instead of putting it away, take the kids shooting. Teach them. Show them how to enjoy it safely. it will mean so much to them knowing this was their grandpa's gun. I have a old Remington 11-48 that belonged to my grandpa. He died when I was 14. I'm 58 and still have the in my safe. Every now and then I get it out and always remember the wonderful experiences fishing and shooting with him.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    A revisit to an old thread. Was looking to buy a case of Rio 3in steel 4 shot from a guy who can get it cheap.

Got to looking at my LT with the full fixed choke and the consensus of not shooting steel through a full choke and was looking for another barrel. My LT is a true Magnum reciever, so not looking to mess with any smithing.

Tried looking for barrels and have found none even using google and custom makers. Anyone know of a place who makes 1100 lt20 3in removable choke barrels?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Hastings made some.

FWIW.....on a 12 ga 1100 the magnum and standard have the same receiver. Bbl and action sleeve the difference. Strongly suspect the LT the same.
    Just because a receiver says " magnum" that doesnt mean the difference is there.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Roger.... I'll have to remove the barrel as its been awhile since I last shot her. I know the barrel has one port. Would be nice to shoot some more common 20 and leave the 3in for turkey season. Of which it performed fantastic at roughly 30yds with no prior testing to see which ammo would perform the best.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

1000 photo download

1000 photo download

1000 photo download

So from my reading and trying to finally after all these years get my head straight on this. The magnum reciever is a beefed up reciever capable of shooting 3in all day. The barrel on the shotgun now with its one port will only cycle 3in shells reliably. If I can find a used 2 3/4 barrel it should have 2 gas ports which will allow it to function as intended.

From looking online at tons of barrels im assuming there never was a 2 3/4in & 3in barrel for the 1100 unless you got one made custom.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Try the shop I used to work at in MI called Guns Galore 810-629-5325, ask for Mike. They typically have a decent selection of used barrels and had quite a few new/old stock Remington and Hastings barrels as well. It's a busy shop so don't be in a hurry, you might be on hold for a few minutes.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW, WW Sporting Clays or Superhandicap Trap loads worked fine in my magnum 12ga 1100s w magnum 26 and 30" bbls.
    They would not run steel dove loads (not enough pressure).

Killed a lot of doves at Winamac w my magnum 1100's w magnum bbls running heavier lead target loads back when they didn't mandate non toxic.

Try running a 1 oz 20 ga hunting load (non magnum) in lead in the LT magnum bbl and see if it cycles.
    I'd be surprised if it didn't.

If you want to run steel dove loads (or wimp lead target stuff), yes, you will need a non magnum bbl

I think the LT 20 got beefed up around the ejection port. That's how you can easily tell an 1100LW vs an LT at a distance.
    LT has a hump along top edge of ejection port.
    Magnum to standard within model, I don't think there's any difference in receiver.
    There isn't on 12 gauges.
    They do stamp em "Magnum" as they were sold w magnum bbls and action sleeves.

You have to run the mag tubes clean. Over oiling them will allow powder residue to gum up.
    This can turn em into single shots with magnum loads, but proly even more picky when running non magnum loads in a magnum bbl.

Too many over oil. Then after gumming up, decide to not oil. Then the mag tube rusts.
    Hence the 1187 stainless mag tubes.

Some folks said to smooth a problematic (wuss loaded) 1100, steel wool the bluing off the mag tube.
    DONT DO IT.

They are idiots. Proly ran WD40 or 3 in 1 oil.

Remoil is thin. And when you wipe it off w a paper towel it leaves just enough to protect, and not gum.
    Ran my magnums for years w reg loads w Remoil.

It should work on an LT.
    Only had one LT, a non magnum deer model.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Reportedly, some places used to add a 2nd gas port to a magnum bbl and thread the added port for a set screw.
    Read where Cabela's used to offer that service (dunno if true).

1 port for mags (set screw in other port), 2 ports for non magnum loads (set screw removed).

Of course somebody gets the gun, doesn't know what's what and could run 3" mag with both ports open.
    That would beat the crap out of the receiver.
    And they'd no doubt say "but it says 3" on the bbl".
    Proly why the service stopped LOL

Top Bottom