Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

A revisit to an old thread. Was looking to buy a case of Rio 3in steel 4 shot from a guy who can get it cheap.

Got to looking at my LT with the full fixed choke and the consensus of not shooting steel through a full choke and was looking for another barrel. My LT is a true Magnum reciever, so not looking to mess with any smithing.

Tried looking for barrels and have found none even using google and custom makers. Anyone know of a place who makes 1100 lt20 3in removable choke barrels?
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

User Info Menu

I have a LT20 magnum. I bought a like new vent rib barrel for 2 3/4 shells off Ebay You might look on there for one with removable chokes.

User Info Menu

Hastings made some.

FWIW.....on a 12 ga 1100 the magnum and standard have the same receiver. Bbl and action sleeve the difference. Strongly suspect the LT the same.
    Just because a receiver says " magnum" that doesnt mean the difference is there.

User Info Menu

The old Hastings VR stuff is long gone it seems.
    Id checkbto see if your bbl could be modified for Remchokes.
    Last edited by Hookeye; 1 Week Ago at 08:15.

User Info Menu

Roger.... I'll have to remove the barrel as its been awhile since I last shot her. I know the barrel has one port. Would be nice to shoot some more common 20 and leave the 3in for turkey season. Of which it performed fantastic at roughly 30yds with no prior testing to see which ammo would perform the best.
    Last edited by 1775usmarine; 1 Week Ago at 08:37. Reason: Rookie mistake
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

User Info Menu

1000 photo download

1000 photo download

1000 photo download

So from my reading and trying to finally after all these years get my head straight on this. The magnum reciever is a beefed up reciever capable of shooting 3in all day. The barrel on the shotgun now with its one port will only cycle 3in shells reliably. If I can find a used 2 3/4 barrel it should have 2 gas ports which will allow it to function as intended.

From looking online at tons of barrels im assuming there never was a 2 3/4in & 3in barrel for the 1100 unless you got one made custom.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Have you tried this site? shotgun barrels for sale

User Info Menu

Try the shop I used to work at in MI called Guns Galore 810-629-5325, ask for Mike. They typically have a decent selection of used barrels and had quite a few new/old stock Remington and Hastings barrels as well. It's a busy shop so don't be in a hurry, you might be on hold for a few minutes.

User Info Menu

FWIW, WW Sporting Clays or Superhandicap Trap loads worked fine in my magnum 12ga 1100s w magnum 26 and 30" bbls.
    They would not run steel dove loads (not enough pressure).

Killed a lot of doves at Winamac w my magnum 1100's w magnum bbls running heavier lead target loads back when they didn't mandate non toxic.

Try running a 1 oz 20 ga hunting load (non magnum) in lead in the LT magnum bbl and see if it cycles.
    I'd be surprised if it didn't.

If you want to run steel dove loads (or wimp lead target stuff), yes, you will need a non magnum bbl

I think the LT 20 got beefed up around the ejection port. That's how you can easily tell an 1100LW vs an LT at a distance.
    LT has a hump along top edge of ejection port.
    Magnum to standard within model, I don't think there's any difference in receiver.
    There isn't on 12 gauges.
    They do stamp em "Magnum" as they were sold w magnum bbls and action sleeves.

You have to run the mag tubes clean. Over oiling them will allow powder residue to gum up.
    This can turn em into single shots with magnum loads, but proly even more picky when running non magnum loads in a magnum bbl.

Too many over oil. Then after gumming up, decide to not oil. Then the mag tube rusts.
    Hence the 1187 stainless mag tubes.

Some folks said to smooth a problematic (wuss loaded) 1100, steel wool the bluing off the mag tube.
    DONT DO IT.

They are idiots. Proly ran WD40 or 3 in 1 oil.

Remoil is thin. And when you wipe it off w a paper towel it leaves just enough to protect, and not gum.
    Ran my magnums for years w reg loads w Remoil.

It should work on an LT.
    Only had one LT, a non magnum deer model.
    Last edited by Hookeye; 1 Week Ago at 22:50.

User Info Menu

Reportedly, some places used to add a 2nd gas port to a magnum bbl and thread the added port for a set screw.
    Read where Cabela's used to offer that service (dunno if true).

1 port for mags (set screw in other port), 2 ports for non magnum loads (set screw removed).

Of course somebody gets the gun, doesn't know what's what and could run 3" mag with both ports open.
    That would beat the crap out of the receiver.
    And they'd no doubt say "but it says 3" on the bbl".
    Proly why the service stopped LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast