• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    i know sad especially because i used that as justification to get all those nice pmags, but i recently started saving for something better a Scar17 to be my close-midrange weapon of choice now i know i know you can reach out and touch someone with both of these rifles however for my mid to long range i want an m14 or m1a ive always wanted one but ive always wanted a AR so little time so little money INGO help me!
    Pros to Scar and M1a:
    only have to buy one type of round
    when i get my suppressor i only need one size
    cons:
    heavy
    i have to get rid of my first ar
    pretty sure you need two different types of mags

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Ok I'm down with changing around firearms just for fun. I'm a full blown gun trader but lets talk about your choices, Both are great choices

M1a got one, love it, Just don't shoot it much because it's so expensive to feed, even reloading for it 30 cal stuff is through the roof right now. A good M1a needs good ammo, If you don't reload your talking at least a couple boxes of Federal 168 match to go along with the cheaper stuff, Ugly prices, Mags are high, Quality mags are great but there are so many knockoff's and counterfiet mags out there its hard to tell the good from the bad until they deform and rust on you. m1a is reliable and accurate, Putting a scope on them is just a little bit wrong, Yes in theory there are good $300 mounts our there and they hold zero but you've still put a western saddle on a Kentucky derby thoroughbred. Yes the horse runs and the rider is more comfortable but it's just wrong.

OK, Scar, Nothing wrong with it BUT why is it better than an AR (quality), AR's run for thousands and thousands of rounds, without a piston system just the way they are, They are the lego of the gun world there is nothing you can't do to them, you can pick up parts almost any medium to large gunshop or online. The scar has some cool factor, but will it run longer than an AR, who knows not too many wore out AR's out there, There are less toys for the Scar, Less parts support for the Scar, and accuracy is a subjective thing, If you shoot crap ammo you will never know the difference.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to talk you out of trading, I'm just asking are we always honest with ourselves. If you want something cooler than an AR then go for it but don't trade because of some armchair deficiency with the AR.

FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    Ok I'm down with changing around firearms just for fun. I'm a full blown gun trader but lets talk about your choices, Both are great choices

M1a got one, love it, Just don't shoot it much because it's so expensive to feed, even reloading for it 30 cal stuff is through the roof right now. A good M1a needs good ammo, If you don't reload your talking at least a couple boxes of Federal 168 match to go along with the cheaper stuff, Ugly prices, Mags are high, Quality mags are great but there are so many knockoff's and counterfiet mags out there its hard to tell the good from the bad until they deform and rust on you. m1a is reliable and accurate, Putting a scope on them is just a little bit wrong, Yes in theory there are good $300 mounts our there and they hold zero but you've still put a western saddle on a Kentucky derby thoroughbred. Yes the horse runs and the rider is more comfortable but it's just wrong.

OK, Scar, Nothing wrong with it BUT why is it better than an AR (quality), AR's run for thousands and thousands of rounds, without a piston system just the way they are, They are the lego of the gun world there is nothing you can't do to them, you can pick up parts almost any medium to large gunshop or online. The scar has some cool factor, but will it run longer than an AR, who knows not too many wore out AR's out there, There are less toys for the Scar, Less parts support for the Scar, and accuracy is a subjective thing, If you shoot crap ammo you will never know the difference.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to talk you out of trading, I'm just asking are we always honest with ourselves. If you want something cooler than an AR then go for it but don't trade because of some armchair deficiency with the AR.
    THANK YOU what im looking for currently military so i dont get to come home and shoot often so when i do i save money for ammo and go all out just waiting on my reenlistment to go through 5 more years...so although they are all expensive to feed and run its not too big an issue, and dont get me wrong i love to versatility of my ar and the set up i have now and the familiarity i have with it however its in 5.56 and like i said i like to keep my weapons as similar in caliber as possible i carry a compact and subcompact 45 and 5.56 now you know what im saying? As for the normality of the scar ill run with an eotch peq and grip simple cbq set up

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    THANK YOU what im looking for currently military so i dont get to come home and shoot often so when i do i save money for ammo and go all out just waiting on my reenlistment to go through 5 more years...so although they are all expensive to feed and run its not too big an issue, and dont get me wrong i love to versatility of my ar and the set up i have now and the familiarity i have with it however its in 5.56 and like i said i like to keep my weapons as similar in caliber as possible i carry a compact and subcompact 45 and 5.56 now you know what im saying? As for the normality of the scar ill run with an eotch peq and grip simple cbq set up

my eyes hurt trying to read that not enough puntuation or commas or other stuff that seperates the sentences can you please reprase

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    m1a: I love mine, but some things to consider.

harder to mount a scope on reliably, mounts are pricey, and then you have cheek weld issues, etc. Obviously not impossible.
    more work to make really accurate.

you can get a silencer that works on both 5.56 and .308. Lots of options out there to accomplish this these days (SF, AAC, YH, etc). Mounting a can on a m1a is a little more hassle than an AR. Can't just pull the FH and put on a quick attach FH from AAC or SF for instance, at least not if you want irons.

If you want .308, have you considered a .308 AR?

I love my m1a, but I'm partial to the AR.

-rvb

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    my eyes hurt trying to read that not enough puntuation or commas or other stuff that seperates the sentences can you please reprase

Haha! I was about to compose a similar comment, but you beat me to it. Besides, if he's really over in the Sand Box, he deserves a little slack.

You have the makings of an INGO Grammar Nazi ... except that you misspelled "separates." Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. :):

FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    Haha! I was about to compose a similar comment, but you beat me to it. Besides, if he's really over in the Sand Box, he deserves a little slack.

You have the makings of an INGO Grammar Nazi ... except that you misspelled "separates." Do not pass GO, do not collect $200. :):

if by sand box you mean california desert then yes i apologize for the terrible grammar and punctuation never was my strong point

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Don't sell one gun just to get another. You will regret it. Be patient. Keep your AR and enjoy it. In the mean time save your money and wait till you can afford the next one. You will get there.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    if by sand box you mean california desert then yes i apologize for the terrible grammar and punctuation never was my strong point

No, from your avatar and your comments about being in the military, I meant the Sand Box far, far away. If you're in California, that's even WORSE! You're surrounded out there. At least with Haji, you know where he is and that somebody's got your back. Not so in Cali. Sorry for you, bud. :(

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I purchased and sold some guns only because I knew I didn't like them after owning it. Personally the AR will always stay in the collection and wouldn't be one to sell to own another rifle. I say hang on to it and be patient. Use your tax return (if any) of some other way.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I sold a newly built AR during the panic. Now I am building another one. For me, I want to own at least one AR. Ideally I would like to build several so I could sell a few during the next panic and still have one for me.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    My thing was the scar is such and expensive platform. Not to mention the triggers sucks fn mags only and the ammo cost. I too was tired of the ar platform then i did my SPR build!

The SPR build was a blast you can build it like the actual mk11 series or put your own twist on it. Not to mention 77gr blackhills at 600 yrds is deadly! Also i get to keep all my ar stuff. Try different calibers man different builds or if you really want 308 try a good bolt gun or .308 in ar platform.

The scar is just a overly priced boring platform that to be honest really isnt that awesome. I too was struck by the scar bug but, after researching and really thinkin about it, its to much of a hassel. For that money build a bad .308 bolt or ar platform. Id love a .458 socom SBR lol

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    An AR 15 set up properly, with the right twist barrel and the correct bullet selection can accomplish mid to longer range work. My friend and I have Mk12 SPR clones that we use to reliably hit at 600+ yards with Mk262 ammunition (Black Hills 5.56 77gr OTM). The Mk12 was specifically designed for mid to longer range work. Setting up an AR with a 1/7 twist, 16+ inch barrel would truly keep you uniform with your gear. Look at the employment of the Mk18 and Mk12, and how they were used to have modularity within a fire team; same mags, same suppressors, same ammo, etc. If you really don’t play past 700 yards and don’t need to defeat intermediate barriers, the AR platform with proper ammo can fill all your needs.

Here is some proof. As you can see the wind was having fun with us, gusting to 10+:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4uFv80TaBo&feature=youtu.be

Also with regard to suppressors, just get a .30 cal can. You can run it on 5.56 or 7.62

Last edited:

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    No, from your avatar and your comments about being in the military, I meant the Sand Box far, far away. If you're in California, that's even WORSE! You're surrounded out there. At least with Haji, you know where he is and that somebody's got your back. Not so in Cali. Sorry for you, bud. :(

:+1: repped.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    AR.............had a few, now own zero. Am just as happy if not happier without one.

And why would you want to shoot a dangerous enemy with a round you wouldn't use on a deer? Like the hot rod folks say, there's no replacement for displacement. 7.62 NATO is mo betta than 5.56 varmint.

I like my .45-70 lever gun. Sure the AR cyclic rate is higher but I'm throwing like a third of the AR platforms' mag with every round. Don't even think about hiding behind a tree...silly trees.

Top Bottom