• ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi guys and girls;
    Does anyone have the newest current model of the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch or All-Weather rifle in 7.62x39 mm caliber?
    I have been looking for one in 6.8 mm SPC, but after reading up on it I have decided to pass and I'm not too excited about the 5.56, .223 version either. So that just leves the 7.62x39 mm version.
    I just cannot get interested in any of the AR-15 type rifles.
    If you have or have shot a Ruger Mini-14 in 7.62x39 mm, what is your opinion of the combo?
    I know, I could read the press reports but I'd like to hear from an average user.
    Have a great week everybody.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    mini -14 is 223.mini -30 is what youre talking about.correct me if i am wrong.i have a stainless mini-14,not accurate,3 in. group at 100 yards.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I had a mini 14 ranch rifle. I would have loved to have gotten a 3in group! Needless to say it was just an ammo burner and I traded it off. I am a ruger fan but I just didn't care for that rifle.......

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I've got a friend that has the new "current" All Weather model with the new front sight, among other things.

So far it shoots S&B into about 2.5", Wolf into about 3", and quality reloads using IMI or Winchester brass and Hornady 123's into 2" - with the rare group at 1.5".

I keep thinking I'll slug the bore, but never remember to bring the sinkers with me.

Its reliable with the factory Ruger mags. Not so much with the aftermarkets, but there hasn't been any work to fit them either.

I've bought a couple of the older ones over the years, never did get one that would shoot even fairly consistently less than 3". 5-6" groups were the norm for anything off the shelf. They had .308" groove barrels with a LONG .310 throat. The newer of the two had quite a taper to the throat, the older one was as straight as an arrow.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    To the original OP, Flightsimmer, the problem that most run into with the Mini-30 (the Mini-14 in the 7.62x39 caliber configuration) is that is is difficult to find magazines for the Mini-30. When they can be found they are usually quite expensive. Lastly, accuracy is usually no better than can be found in a decent AK47, which shoots the same round. On the other hand, until the recent political situation developed, an AK-47 clone could be found for around $400, and the magazines were almost always reliable, relatively cheap, and plentiful. A lot of people are hoping that the gun buying frenzy slows or stops so that prices start to approach those that we are used to seeing.
    To answer your original question, I have not personally shot one, and only know of one other friend who owned one. He liked it, but traded it off for reasons unknown.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    i am not really a fan of the Mini 14's either... they just feel cheap to me... not trying to **** anyone off... my uncle had one for less than a week when the rear peep sight FELL off.... not very accurate, not alot of aftermarket stuff available for them, and all sorts of bad press on them.... just my .02

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi Guys;

Yes, I guess it is called a Mini-thirty Ranch rifle when chambered in 7.62x39 mm isn't it?

I haven't considered an AK-47 type because it's not really my kind of rifle either. I'm not looking for a rifle to fire the 7.62x39 mm round in particular, I'm looking for a rifle that's if nothing else very much like the Ruger Mini because of it's size and design and handyness. It's not cheaply made but it is affordable and I'm sure that they have done there best to make it accurate because that's what sells rifles and handguns.

I'm a Garand/M1A kind of guy and have both but I'm looking for something smaller and lighter but just as accurate with similar design characteristics. But honestly I think I'm asking too much. I do have a Model 92' lever action in 45 Colt but that's not quit it either.

The Mini has had accuracy issues and that's apparently why they came out with the heavy tuneable barrel sleeve but from my experiance with the M1A it just might be partly a bedding issue.

My M1A shot 4"-5" groups at 100 yds. untill I glass bedded it and they shrank to 5/8"-3/4" consistantly.

From reading the press on the newest and latest Ruger Mini they seem to think the accuracy has improved but I wanted to check with actual owners to see if was true first.

The Mini is not like the 10/22 in that there are not a lot of aftermarket items for them. The 10/22 can be made very very accurate. Mine shoots dime size 10 shot groups at 75 yds. indoors, the longest range I've been too so far. But I haven't heard such things about the Mini yet.

Ah well, the search goes on. But then isn't that half the fun.

Have a great week guys.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I have both Mini 14 and 30 The 14 is a target model thumb hole stock, heavy barrel and a muzzle break I have only shot it one time and did not like the cheap scope it had on it I have since changed the scope but have not had it back to the range? I have not had the 30 for very long and have not shot it at all But it is very hard to find good hi capacity mags for it I like both of them & think I can get the 14 to be fairly accurate at 100 yards 30 on the other hand its just to waste ammo and have fun For what its worth My .02

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Flightsimmer, the biggest problem that the Mini-14 or Mini-30 has is that pencil thin barrel. That is what degrades the accuracy. Your first two or three shots will be fine, but just as soon as that barrel heats up, groups are all over the place. That is what the heavy "harmonic stabilizer" is supposed to cure. Ruger probably would have been better off by changing the barrel to a heavy barrel. But then you lose the lightness that most people get a carbine for.

It just dawned on me; maybe that is why Ruger resisted for so long to sell the 20rd factory magazines. Perhaps they were well aware of their design "flaw" (overheating barrel) and didn't want people to find out that their $600 new rifle was basically just an ammo burner.

Bottom line, if you are wanting a light carbine and only plan to shoot 2-3 rounds at a predator on a "ranch", either Mini would be OK. If you are looking for something to punch holes in a small area consistently for more than 5 rounds, look for something else.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    What about an M-1 Carbine? Not really a tack driver, but it would have similar operating charecteristics as the Garand and M1A. I know a few guys who can have pretty much wahtever rifle they want for a general defense rifle and they have chosen the M-1 Carbine. They are light, reliable, fairly accurate and the .30 carbine packs more of a punch on living creatures than the paper ballistics really show.

Doug K

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    What about an M-1 Carbine? Not really a tack driver, but it would have similar operating charecteristics as the Garand and M1A. I know a few guys who can have pretty much wahtever rifle they want for a general defense rifle and they have chosen the M-1 Carbine. They are light, reliable, fairly accurate and the .30 carbine packs more of a punch on living creatures than the paper ballistics really show.

Doug K

Yeah. The .30 carbine delivers more than a .357 magnum and I've never heard people saying the .357 is underpowered. Though, the .357 can be had in hollow point for expansion. You could go with .30 carbine soft point to get a better performing round.

Plus, the M1 Carbine is just cool. :D

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Quote: What about an M-1 Carbine? Not really a tack driver, but it would have similar operating charecteristics as the Garand and M1A.

OK, now why didn't I consider that? :dunno: Yeah, I'll have to look into the carbine. I'll have to read up on them because as I remember some manufacturers have had problems of their own.

Thanks guys.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Flightsimmer,

My first question reading this thread is what willth rifle be used for?

I had a series 80 Mini 14 which I sent to Chief AJ for a tune-up in the early 1990's. Trigger job, action, better rear sight, harmonic compensator. It would shoot inside 2" @ 100 yards, and the compensator let you double tap in 3"-4" groups. The mini 30's I have fired are much less accurate, and my Romanian AK is far more robust and accurate.

If the M1 carbine doesn't work out, you may think about a BLR takedown or a used Savage 99. Both of these lever guens are a little slimmer andhandier, and fire real rifle rounds. I have a '99 in .243; it is the best handling lever gun made IMHO. I have nothing but respect for the Mrlin and WInchester levers, but they point like a 2x4 compared to the Savage. My '99 shoots about 1.5" @ 100, but I have a HOLOsight on it and a real scope might make tighter groups. I used it as my dark woods deer/coyote rifle in GA.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a AR15 in 7.62x39. It is a good rifle. There is also the Robinson Arms XCR rifle that comes in 5.56/.223, 6.5x39 (Grendel), and 7.62x39.

Both rifles weigh around 7 pounds, if that is a concern.

There was a rumor going around that Ruger's machining equipment was getting old, and that was the reason for some of the older mini-14's, less than stellar performance.

With retooling and new equipment, I have heard that new mini-14 production is back to high standards, including improved accuracy.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi Guys;

This is just one of several articles I found on accurizing the Ruger Mini 14/30. It seems that others have found as I did with the M1A that the mini responds to glass bedding very well and there are other things you can do with them to make them MOA without spending a bundle on them.

Mini-14 RR Project Results - 06/23 - PerfectUnion BBS

It sounds to me like it would be a fun project for the summer.

I looked at the Robinson Arms XCR and it is definitely a fine rifle but more than I want at $1500 +.

The M1 carbine is great but I 'm looking for a more potent caliber.

I know, It sounds like I'm being picky and maybe I am.

DanO asked what the rifle would be used for? My best answer is a light weight (potential) urban CQB (close quarter battle) rifle is what I think I have in mind. An alternative to the M16/AR15, AK47. I don't hunt so that's not a concern and besides Indiana only allows shotgun and pistol calibers like for deer.

Now I can always strip down my M1A/M21 into a lighter configuration but it's still kind of heavy and long.

From what I've read, the only real gripe with the Ruger Mini 14/30 is poor accuracy and it sounds like that can probably/hopefully be fixed at low cost and I just love working on my guns.

Have a great week everybody.

Top Bottom