• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Looking for folks opinions/thoughts/experiences of comparative quality of these uppers - broadly/generally speaking. What do you think?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I prefer Spike's Tactical. No specific reasoning, just do.

That said, I would love to build a BCM identical to my ST and test them side by side, but I want to buy a stripped lower and use all of the exact same parts. Too bad BCM does sell stripped lowers. :(

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That is a tough call IMHO. Both are good manufacturers but I would go with Spike's. I've heard nothing but good about them.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a Spikes 16" upper with a Seekins 13.2" rail on it, 1:7 twist mid length, government profile. It's ran great and never had an issue out of it that wasn't ammo or magazine related. Fit and finish were very nice, and the Spikes BCG was very clean and the "Made in USA" on the backside was a nice touch.

Just using some plinking loads I've handloaded for shooting steel (which means if they cycle and are reliable I'm good with it) it has 1.5" MOA with a 1.5 power scope at 60 yards

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I prefer Spike's Tactical. No specific reasoning, just do.

That said, I would love to build a BCM identical to my ST and test them side by side, but I want to buy a stripped lower and use all of the exact same parts. Too bad BCM does sell stripped lowers. :(

Well you can buy complete BCM lowers Rainer usually has them. That's about the only way to go if you want BCM.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I have a BCM 14.5 w/ pinned comp & similar Spikes. Differences:
    BCM has fancy FF rail & looks sweet.
    Spikes has Magpul non FF rail & looks run of mill (also has NIBN bcg).

Friends that have fired both, and I agree:
    BCM has the looks, Spikes is sweeter shooting. Price wasn't even close, I paid more for BCM upper w/o BCG, than I did for Spikes w/ NIBN bcg.

Yes, I likely have acronym wrong for Nickel Boron, meh!

If I could only buy one, Spikes hands down.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    BCM has the higher reputation as being the most "milspec" of the two if that makes a difference to you.

This shouldn't make a difference to anyone because.. Basically there is no such thing as "most mil spec".

I don't want to sound like a know it all, but what a lot of AR15 people seem to not understand is that "mil spec" isn't necessarily as great as some perceive it to be. AR15's aren't "mil spec", their copies of. ALL mil spec or mil-std is, is a specified set of tolerances that production models need to fall into. And from my experience with mil-std's (I produce parts for the DoD), those tolerances are pretty vague and vast, NOT AT ALL hard to adhere to. You can get a "mil spec" rifle that rattles to kingdom come and doesn't shoot for $#!t. Or just the opposite. Likewise, you can get a commercial rifle that can't miss at 500 yds (<actually more likely to find this in commercial then mil spec).

All mil spec really means is the holes will fall into X tolerances, materials used for production will be X, anodizing will be X... Etc. And again, these tolerances are not as "tight" as one might think, nor are the required materials "the best on the market". If one manufacturer using the widest tolerances and the rifle rattles to hell and another uses the closest and it's super tight, but they both fall into the spec, then neither one is "more spec" then the other.

OP, both companies make great rifles, you'll be fine either way. Unless your a dead nuts ringer/expert, neither will likely shoot better for you then an OLY or a Stag. If you want to buy the more expensive brand, go for it, you'll get a good rifle. Then, unless you're already able, hold off on your red dot and become proficient with your iron sights and decide for yourself if you made the right choice in a rifle!

Last edited:

Shroom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Middletown, IN
    +1 for Spikes...I couldn't be happier with the quality, never tried BCM.

Side note I have one and a half PSA AR's and am just as happy with them as my spikes and they cost a lot less. The half sits on on a Spikes lower with a PSA parts kit.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    BCM started making their own upper receivers because they were rejecting about 50% of the uppers they were getting. What does that tell you about BCM's QC? Says a lot to me. I wonder who is getting BCM's rejects?? This also holds true for the barrels they receive as well. I own more Spike's stuff than BCM, but BCM wins hands down. YMMV

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    BCM mid length light weight 16". I've had one spikes and two BCM. I wouldn't bother with.the cold hammer forged barrels, but I would definitely get a light wright profile (.625 outer diameter) again. Handles fast.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have 2 BCMs right now. I run them as hard as I can and plan to give them a much harder workout this summer in the neighborhood of at least 5k rounds. BCM holds the upmost reputation for quality. They are a no BS company that makes rifles I would risk my life on. It's the little things too: like the castle nuts on the receiver extension being well staked, the carrier key being properly staked, the brass on the bolt face of every BCM BCG I've bought (~20), the ground fit of the gas blocks to the gas port diameters, etc. They get my vote hands down.

Top Bottom