• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    I have never really shot pass the 200-300 yard mark and I'm wanting to get a new set up to go past that. My initial thought is to go ahead and set up a weapon system that has the capability of the 1000yd mark, knowing good well that the system will be better than the shooter. However that gives me room to improve and grow into my rifle.

I am currently leaning towards the Remington 700 AAC-SD 20" 1/10 Twist Chambered in .308. However feed back both good or bad would be appreciated on the rifle. I like the upgrade to the 1/10 twist compared to the traditional 1/12 on the majority of the 700 models. And the ability to add a flash suppressor to improve weapon stability is an attractive feature to reduce time between shots in a long range tactical scenario.

It is also my understanding that once one begins shooting those distances there are different styles and applicants of scopes pending what the intended purpose is. And to answer that question I am ideally thinking of a tactical mind set. My little research is indicating to me that I want uncapped turrets so that I can continually adjust as needed.

Scope recommendations are encouraged. I am a huge fan and supporter of Vortex Optics, but as I have nothing to compare them too, and seeing as I have never shot those distances I would like to hear feedback on optics as well. Currently, I am thinking the Vortex Viper PST 6x24x50.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Everything you have mentioned would make a very nice set up. Sounds like you have it all pretty well figured out. DO NOT underestimate the importance of rangetime. It truly is MORE important than the hardware.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It sounds like you have a fairly good idea of what you are looking for. The barrel twist, and flash suppressor arent big of an issue for the type of shooting that you seem to want to be geared for, but I dont think it will hinder you if that is what strikes your fancy.

My rifle is a bit lower budget than what you are talking about. I went with a Remington ADL Varminter in .308. I topped it off with a Millett tactical scope, and havent looked back. The entire settup was under $1K(found a few really good sales) and it is capable beyond my current abilities to shoot.

When I do my part, feeding it handloads, it will hold groups at 200 yards that can be covered with a quarter. I have only had on opportunity to stretch its legs past that, and it was more than impressive enough to keep me interested.

As Indy stated, the time at the range will be more productive to you than the equipment. My dad has an old Remington BDL in 30-06 that I have seen shoot out to 4-500 yards with great effect, and it isnt anything more than a typical hunting rifle.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Everything you have mentioned would make a very nice set up. Sounds like you have it all pretty well figured out. DO NOT underestimate the importance of rangetime. It truly is MORE important than the hardware.

Range time is most important. I know a couple of guys who shoot 1K yards and more competitively. You could buy a nice car with the money they have invested in each rifle/scope rig. Here's an example of the scope they use Tactical 8-80 x 56 They will still tell you practice is the key.

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Thank you all for your feedback. Is there any range or organization that has courses and/or classes available for someone willing to learn within the state?

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Thank you all for your feedback. Is there any range or organization that has courses and/or classes available for someone willing to learn within the state?

Check out Panther Ridge down around Bloomington. I've never been there but I think they've got a range that goes out to 700 and they offer long range courses last time I checked.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Also, I've got two buddies that spent a couple years and a lot of money researching and building a .308 bolt gun with a 700 action. It's a dedicated 1,000 yd. gun. They bought all the parts and pieces and had a 'Smith bed it and finish the build. They only use hand loads in them, but they went with an 11 1/4" twist. For what they wanted to do, it was the best option. Bullet weight (length) is gonna decide what twist you need. They went with a Leupold Mark 4 for their glass. Get a hold of 42769vette, he'll have exactly what you want.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN

Being from Marion, you might want to look into this one Youngs Long Shot Range , it would be a lot closer than Bloomington.

You might try asking around, too, as there is a good bit of farm land up that way, always a possibility that you will find someone that has a private range that they are willing to share that will let you get out as far as you are looking.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Remington 700 is a great choice in .308 but how about raising the ante a bit -

Remington 700P .338 Lapua Magnum

Very Fun Gun.
    Already has a threaded barrel for suppressing.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive shot that exact setup many times. Its a fine weapon, and as you know if you miss, it wont be the rifles fault.

Kudo's to you sir. When I started LR shooting I did not have the for sight to plan for the future. I bought equipment that would barely (if at all) do what I needed now. This line of thinking cost me thousands of dollars (literately) in buying things, and either out growing them, or them not working at all. You will save a small fortune because you are doing it right the first time.

Ive compared the PST in person to nearly all (if not all) options out there. Its the hands down winner in its price range. I have all 4 versions in stock (even the 6-24 SFP/MOA) so let me know when your ready to pull the trigger. Ive got rings and base's as well if you need those.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Are you dead set on .308? Some of the 6-7 mill rifles will get you there a little easier. I'm not saying a .308 won't do the job by any means just a little faster and a little flatter goes a long way. That being said I'll go ahead and contradict myself some I just finished a build of a 700P in .300win I topped it with a Vortex PST 6-24 sfp really happy with the scope but does get a little blurry around the edges past 20X. I built mine with 1000 yard capability but realistic 500 yard work. Plus I wanted something I could hunt large game with

Top Bottom