• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I collect semi-auto handguns and old (full length) milsurp mausers. Now I'm thinking about getting a black rifle so I'm beginning to research a subject I don't know that much about. i probably won't actually take the plunge for a few months, but in light of the high level of knowledge i've seen in posts from INGOers I was hoping some would share some basic knowledge with me. My purpose is to have a firearm to control out to 200-250 yards that would be accurate and not too unpleasant for my wife to shoot. I would like advice/info on all customizable aspects (ie barrel length, types of lower and bcg etc ). I haven't decided between 5.56 and 7.62 (although I expect 7.62 might make achieving a comfortable shoot for the wife more difficult) and would also appreciate links to recommended reading (keeping in mind I'm quite new to this) That said I'm also an admirer of Eugene Stoner and really like the looks of the old AR-10's with the weird brick red bakelite. I don't really know why.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Take your time and read. Read some more. Get a basic understanding of the rifle. Then ask questions.

Asking now without a basic knowledge is going to be confusing, especially when you will get 100's of different answers on a forum.
    This guy likes this, that guy likes that...ect.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    Take your time and read. Read some more. Get a basic understanding of the rifle. Then ask questions.

Asking now without a basic knowledge is going to be confusing, especially when you will get 100's of different answers on a forum.
    This guy likes this, that guy likes that...ect.
    I agree with this

Brassman65

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    anderson
    The good thing about anything AR is that its like legos; end up not liking something its as easy as changing a colored brick. But what works good for everyone else might not be the best fit for you and vice versa.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Safe bet is a colt 6920/6720. M4carbine.net for tons of info, read but don't post. DD, Lmt, BCM are top notch as well. light weight profile and mid length gas systems are, IMO, nice touches. iWC for mounts/lights, LMT rear fixed sight.

there is a nice 6920 and a LMT in the classifieds right now.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Safe bet is a colt 6920/6720.

This is one of those "this guy likes this" statements.

If you're looking for a softer shooter, look into something Colt doesn't know how to make, which is a midlength gas system on a carbine

And that statement, was another one of those "this guy [me] likes this" statement

First ARs can be confusing, lots of little info, parts, accessories, brands, and prices all over the board.

M4 carbine is a good site, and some threads before they turn into mothaf****ng someone or some product on AR15.com are good, and even if the thread turns out that way, they still can be entertaining

As for 7.62 being comfortable to shoot. I rebuilt my 308 AR recently and built another for a friend out of my spare parts. The one for my friend is about 2 pounds lighter than mine, but recoils less than my heavier one. Same barrel length, same weight buffer, but his barrel is a midlength while mine is a carbine gas system....

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    If you're looking for a softer shooter, look into something Colt doesn't know how to make, which is a midlength gas system on a carbine

Set up properly you'd be hard pressed to actually tell the difference shooting a carbine length gas system versus a midlength system.

Colt made a intermediate gas system many moons ago.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Set up properly you'd be hard pressed to actually tell the difference shooting a carbine length gas system versus a midlength system.

Colt made a intermediate gas system many moons ago.
    You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between my properly set up midlength and a dedicated 22lr upper. That's not the norm, with off the shelf ARs midlength is going to be softer shooting than carbine. And I think that info will be more useful to OP.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    FWIW, I recently built a retro AR-15, using an M-16A1 parts kit. I let another guy shoot it who had never fired an actual rifle before, his only experience was with AR-15 carbines. He was blown away by how much more comfortable it was to shoot, how much easier it was to hit the target, and how it went bang every time he pulled the trigger. If you are a fan of the early Stoner rifles and want something your wife will enjoy shooting you might want to consider a full-length rifle.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    let's start right here:

What is your budget?
    Probably (not)knowing what I know now, about $2000 completed. If I find something I really want pushes it beyond that it won't be a big problem but AR's are so personal/customized I'd like to keep what I have wrapped up in the thing at or below that (thinking that if I get something wrong about it for me that I could get some of my investment back out in order to attempt a build 2.0). I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all who have posted thus far and especially appreciate the links and reading recommendations as the sheer amount of information out there about this subject can seem daunting to make sense of.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I have a Armalite AR10 and as long as your wearing ear protection it is very pleasant to shoot. Not much more than a 5.56

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    the very first thing is separate the cost of the rifle itself, accessories and optics in your budget.

a nice set of iron sights is $200, red dot is between $400-600, scope and mount can be north of $1000. for targets out to 200-300 yrds, you will probably gonna need some good glass and preferably 1-piece mount. if you already have the optics, then you can adjust your rifle purchase accordingly.

accessories, I'd go for a Geissele trigger first($200), next, some good mags, such as Pmag and Lancer(my choice), a good sling wouldn't hurt. nicer stock is good, too.

now, just say you got $1500 on the rifle, you can buy a Daniel Defense, out of the box it can be as accurate as any can be.

to build yourself, there's something you can go cheap on, i.e. the receivers, $8 flash hidder. and something you can't, i.e. the barrel, BCG, gas block.

as to help your wife shooting it, with a fully adjustable gas block, i.e. Syrac Gen2($100), you can fine tune it to the point of having a reliable rifle with minimal recoil.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There is a 800 dollar RRA 16inch AR in the classifieds right now. Buy it, shoot it a lot and forego all the angst.

Problem solved. You are welcome.

Edit to add: you are in Columbus Ohio? Are not AR rifles banned there?

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Please do yourself a favor and stick with one man and bypass all the BS of everyone wanting to give you there two cents and you will be alot better off, Im sure he will help you with your questions .... mvician is the go to man about anything AR related - PERIOD !!!!!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Please do yourself a favor and stick with one man and bypass all the BS of everyone wanting to give you there two cents and you will be alot better off, Im sure he will help you with your questions .... mvician is the go to man about anything AR related - PERIOD !!!!!

I have nothing useful to say. The AR questions must now be routed directly to the expert. All you guys must now shut up and learn from the master. Mvician rules!!!!!

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    the very first thing is separate the cost of the rifle itself, accessories and optics in your budget.

a nice set of iron sights is $200, red dot is between $400-600, scope and mount can be north of $1000. for targets out to 200-300 yrds, you will probably gonna need some good glass and preferably 1-piece mount. if you already have the optics, then you can adjust your rifle purchase accordingly.

accessories, I'd go for a Geissele trigger first($200), next, some good mags, such as Pmag and Lancer(my choice), a good sling wouldn't hurt. nicer stock is good, too.

now, just say you got $1500 on the rifle, you can buy a Daniel Defense, out of the box it can be as accurate as any can be.

to build yourself, there's something you can go cheap on, i.e. the receivers, $8 flash hidder. and something you can't, i.e. the barrel, BCG, gas block.

as to help your wife shooting it, with a fully adjustable gas block, i.e. Syrac Gen2($100), you can fine tune it to the point of having a reliable rifle with minimal recoil.
    Not this! Unless you're rich.

Top Bottom