How does a mauser compare to modern rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    Hello,
    I am interested into getting a mauser for a lot of reasons, but the main ones is the bayonet lug, bolt action, stripper clip guide, and just because its an awesome rifle to have! I already have a ruger Gunsite scout rifle and have owned various other rifles including precision bolt actions, and ar15s. I was wondering how the mauser compared to the a modern bolt action like the Gunsite scout? What the thoughts are behind the rifle and the cartridge comparison? Thank you again and be merciful I am new to firearms.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've heard of people using Mausers and Enfields as base rifles for a scout type rifle projects. I've owned most of the WW2 era bolt rifles and the mausers are built like a tank. I can't really say anything related to the accuracy as compared to modern 308 bolt rifles though. I'd like to see people's projects.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    oh no I wont use it for a scout concept I will jus the using iron sights. That is how I use the Gunsite scout rifle I own now

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Assuming good condition, with iron sights, it will outshoot you. If you want to get super fancy, you should be able to find an aftermarket aperture that will help through being easier on your eyes.

Williams Sights | Brownells

Fits Mauser 98 : APERTURE REAR SIGHTS | Brownells

As for comparative quality, most modern bolt actions are based on the Mauser with modifications generally geared toward reducing the cost of manufacture rather than product improvement, with some allowance for improvements in metallurgy and CNC machining.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree with everything IndyDave said, and I will add that as with any milsurp rifle, bore condition is everything. I love all my Mausers. And you can go broke in a hurry collecting all the variations! :):

Any K98 variant (Yugo M48, 24/47, or Czech VZ24, or of course German K98) would be good to start with. Yugos can be found in pretty good condition pretty easily. Then there are your "long" rifles like the Turk Model 38, Swedish M96 (6.5x55), various Spanish and South American rifles... on and on!

And then, if you really want a scout type rifle, you can get one of these... a Spanish FR 8. :)

RightSideAfter_zpsf40ec5ce.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What Mauser are you talking about specifically? There are several different versions, in several different calibers. That said, the Mauser action is one of the strongest out there, and is what the US Springfield 1903 design was based on, and later the Remington 700 action.

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    You won't be able to find a mauser in Indiana. Doggy Daddy and Indy 1919A4 have bought them all up.

As DD said, look for a Yugo mauser. Most all that you find have been arsenal refurbed with new or like new barrels, so much so that they need to be broken in by firing 100+ rounds. All the Yugos are 8mm.

The FR8 that Doggy Daddy showed is in .308. Several other models are in .308 as well. There are also several South American models that were re-arsenalled to .30-06, and some that were made that way.

Plus there are tons that have been sporterized into any caliber from .22-250 up to .45/70.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You won't be able to find a mauser in Indiana. Doggy Daddy and Indy 1919A4 have bought them all up.

As DD said, look for a Yugo mauser. Most all that you find have been arsenal refurbed with new or like new barrels, so much so that they need to be broken in by firing 100+ rounds. All the Yugos are 8mm.

The FR8 that Doggy Daddy showed is in .308. Several other models are in .308 as well. There are also several South American models that were re-arsenalled to .30-06, and some that were made that way.

Plus there are tons that have been sporterized into any caliber from .22-250 up to .45/70.
    Hey now! We've left plenty out there! (for now) :):

Speaking of 308 Mausers, I'll be putting up some pics of my 1895 Chilean soon. I've got it taken apart at the moment to clean it up a little. :)

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Mauser actions are pretty dependable. The down side is that those robust parts also make the lock time very slow. Slow lock time is not much problem in combat or if you ride a bench to shoot a rifle, but precision shooting while standing erect is more difficult. Even in military trim, many (not all) have excellent bolt to body fit. The process they use to harden is can cause some problems, both if you are hot bluing the action and if you are mounting a scope. Some of the K98 (large front ring german actions) are so hard they are almost impossible to drill and tap for scope mounts. Trying to spot anneal the metal can be really tricky.

People have been playing with surplus Mauser actions for about 100 years, so almost any gunsmith is well versed on re barreling them. Timney as well as others have made multiple levels of drop in triggers to upgrade the combat trigger.

I have owned several small ring model '98 Swedish Mausers. I have used them in stock form with ammo made to spec. I would not trust a small ring Mauser, especially those made in less industrialized nations if I were going to build a modern higher pressure cartridge, like pretty much anything from 30-06 forward. The Large ring, K98 is the way to go.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    What I find amazing as a machinist who has spent my entire life in the metal working industry, is how dimensionally consistent and smooth all of these older Mauser action were. This in spite of the fact they were all produced long before there were any type of computer controlled machines, (CNC or NC). The bulk of them were produced without any digital readouts or ball screws. Which means the people who made them relied on dials and had to account for lead screw backlash, and could not even climb mill. Today a comparable action with the overall smoothness and quality would cost well into 4 digits.

Also, there were no such things as CMM's to provide computerized checks. All inspection had to be done with manual tools at the machine. All radii and angles had to be calculated longhand. Trig function calculators were unheard of. The machinist knew the part was correct before it left the vise on his table. Modern inserted tooth carbide tooling was yet to be invented. Most all machining was done with high speed tooling. Yet in spite of all of this, these actions were some of the finest ever produced to this day, from an overall consistency and quality standpoint, with few if any tooling marks. Pretty amazing stuff when you think about it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have a Model 1895 Chilean Mauser (7mm) that I found was built IN 1895. The action on it is as smoooth as glass.

Nice! Since mine was made by DWM (as opposed to Loewe Berlin), it was made between 1896 and 1901. I haven't narrowed it down any more than that. The serial number is L719, but I haven't been able to find serial number/date of manufacture data for the Chileans. I just know that DWM took over making them in 1896. Of course the re-barreling to 7.62x51 took place much later.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    I took the ingo members advice and got myself a Yugo 24/47 today at my local store, where do I get accessories like a bayonet, stripper clips, or a sling?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Also, if you need ammo, Palmetto State has free shipping on orders of $100 or more through midnight tonight. This Romanian surplus is very nice ammo and it comes on stripper clips too. If you're going the surplus route, just beware of Iranian and Egyptian ammo. The both have a reputation for duds and hangfires. Turk, Yugo or Romanian should be good to go though.

8mm Mauser (8 x 57JR) - Rifle Ammunition - Ammunition

Phipps

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I have a 1944 Mauser 98, at 200 yards and open sights with surp ammo I was getting tight groupings out of at 200 yards. The 6.5 Swede I had was even tighter groups.

theres a few videos on YouTube of a K98 tagging steel at 900+ yards with open sights and hand load ammo. If I can find the video I'll post it up in here.

Top Bottom