• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I seem to be having issues with my Tavor cycling through to pick up the next round. I'm using pmags but it also had the same issue with the magazine provided by IWI. I've shot it on two different occasions and cleaned it both times. I've seen people filing down the back of the pmags and they say it helps with the bolt picking up the next round. I guess before doing the filing the pmag would actually bump and hold open/move the bolt open device. Just seeing if someone has experienced this or has advice. I really don't want to start filing down pmags. I'm going to use a GI mag next time and see if it also has this issue. After 100 to 150 rounds, it just seems to have issues. I even cleared a jam today but another person was shooting it. I don't recall another jam. I'm using Winchester, American Eagle, and I actually need to do a better job writing down or keeping track of what is showing the most issues. Everything is brass. Thanks!

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I seem to be having issues with my Tavor cycling through to pick up the next round. I'm using pmags but it also had the same issue with the magazine provided by IWI. I've shot it on two different occasions and cleaned it both times. I've seen people filing down the back of the pmags and they say it helps with the bolt picking up the next round. I guess before doing the filing the pmag would actually bump and hold open/move the bolt open device. Just seeing if someone has experienced this or has advice. I really don't want to start filing down pmags. I'm going to use a GI mag next time and see if it also has this issue. After 100 to 150 rounds, it just seems to have issues. I even cleared a jam today but another person was shooting it. I don't recall another jam. I'm using Winchester, American Eagle, and I actually need to do a better job writing down or keeping track of what is showing the most issues. Everything is brass. Thanks!

The people filing down the pmags are generally canadians because the canadian model bolt hold open is getting pushed up just a touch to where it wont engage the bolt but its damaging the bolt hold open. Or something like that. But you shouldn't have any problems feeding out of any magazine with your tavor. I've got almost 1000 flawless rounds through mine without a single cleaning with a bunch of different magazines but mainly gen 3 pmags. Sounds like your tavor may have been over looked in the QC department. I'd give IWI a holler and see what they say. They supposedly have really good customer service and they should make it right for you. Tel: +1 (717) 695-2081 keep us updated and good luck!

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Also since its a long holiday weekend if you're not too far away we could meet up somewhere on Monday and I could let you try out all of my mags to see if you truly do have a magazine issue, but it really seems like your rifle needs to make a trip to Pennsylvania. Let me know!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have had my bolt fail to hold open on a PMAG. But it only happened one time. I have since seen that they may have that issue with PMAGS. I'm talking about the bolt not holding open on the last round.
    I have to agree with strokin7.3, I would give IWI a call and see what they have to say.
    Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    The people filing down the pmags are generally canadians because the canadian model bolt hold open is getting pushed up just a touch to where it wont engage the bolt but its damaging the bolt hold open. Or something like that. But you shouldn't have any problems feeding out of any magazine with your tavor. I've got almost 1000 flawless rounds through mine without a single cleaning with a bunch of different magazines but mainly gen 3 pmags. Sounds like your tavor may have been over looked in the QC department. I'd give IWI a holler and see what they say. They supposedly have really good customer service and they should make it right for you. Tel: +1 (717) 695-2081 keep us updated and good luck!

I have similar experience with mine. Multiple types of mags including gen2 and gen3 pmags (30 round and 20 round) and various different types of ammo. Never a failure. Only cleaned once thoroughly after about 200 rounds and have about 1600-1700 through it now.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Also since its a long holiday weekend if you're not too far away we could meet up somewhere on Monday and I could let you try out all of my mags to see if you truly do have a magazine issue, but it really seems like your rifle needs to make a trip to Pennsylvania. Let me know!

Thanks for the offer! I'm going to shoot with family on Monday and will try different mags. Let you guys know what happens.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've never had an issue out of my tavor, but I am using lancer L5AWM magazines if that is of any use for you.

If it doesn't work with every in spec stanag magazine, I would recommend sending it in to be serviced. Reports are that IWI are some of the best to deal with CS wise of anyone.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    So whats the verdict on your rifle?

I tried PMAG G1, G2, and G3 with 0 issues. Also, I used GI and the Tavor mag with 0 issues. I'll take it out again this week and run fully loaded magazines through them. I just ran 5-10 rounds in each last time.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    I know this is a old thread but it maybe what's going on with mine. I've tried several different mags and 3 different kinds of ammo and I can't get more than two rounds out of it without having to rack the bolt. It's going back far enough to reset the trigger but not enough to pick up the next round. I bought this second hand at a show so I don't have good history on it. I took it apart before firing it and replaced the 18 with 16.5 barrel and installed a lightning bow trigger. I don't know if it had issues before or if I created them. Is there anything else I need to look at other than mags.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I know this is a old thread but it maybe what's going on with mine. I've tried several different mags and 3 different kinds of ammo and I can't get more than two rounds out of it without having to rack the bolt. It's going back far enough to reset the trigger but not enough to pick up the next round. I bought this second hand at a show so I don't have good history on it. I took it apart before firing it and replaced the 18 with 16.5 barrel and installed a lightning bow trigger. I don't know if it had issues before or if I created them. Is there anything else I need to look at other than mags.

So the failure mode is bolt closed, no round chambered?
    SAR or X95? not that there's much difference internally.

First step in good troubleshooting, other than having someone else nearby watching it cycle, would be to reinstall the factory parts and see if it works. If not, call IWI, if yes, reinstall mods one at a time until it stops working again. Not an expert but I'll volunteer as a second set of mechanically inclined eyes for ya. I'm in the Taylorsville area, not too far from Morgantown.

My X95's only had a problem with 2 in over 1k rounds (light primer strike/hard primer on unknown history/brand steel case ammo-loaded in the next mag and it went off fine) I've used IWI, Magpul, Thermold, and unkown steel mags without issue.

Top Bottom