Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Remington 870 Wingmaster for home defense

Does anyone have suggestions for converting an 870 Wingmaster with a 20" rifled barrel to a home defense shotgun? I am a definite noob when it comes to shotguns. It's rather difficult to find a smooth bore barrel around 18-20" for a reasonable price. Also, would anyone recommend a tube extension or is 4+1 sufficient. Thanks for your input.

User Info Menu

Master

User Info Menu

Mossburg makes rem 870 barrels and sells the cheap. Look at the 18 inch a smooth bore with whatever sight arrangement you like.

i have always felt 4+1 was fine as you can top them off as you go.

User Info Menu

Wouldn't buckshot in a rifled barrel tear up the rifling essentially ruining the barrel?
    LT6 ^ UA 440 ^ #514, F. & A.M.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitNaBasket View Post
    Wouldn't buckshot in a rifled barrel tear up the rifling essentially ruining the barrel?
    Maybe - but there's still probably a wad cup holding everything together. Plus - most of the buck shot is still lead - which is considerably softer than the steel. (Granted, the steel is thin...)

But the main issue is fouling with the plastics from the wads.

-J-

User Info Menu

I don't think it would "tear up" the barrel, but I would expect leading in the grooves that would be a PITA to clean.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Same as using rat-shot in a pistol, I wouldn't make it a habit but in a HD situation how many times are you going to fire? Hopefully only twice.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

No but there is excessive fouling with plastic and lead in the large rifling making it fun to clean. In general the WORST thing you can ever do to a column of shot is put a spin on it. So absolutely horrendous patterns coupled with the need to clean it better makes using the barrel for defense or even practice with it a bad idea.

I tested this concept myself 30 years ago with my Hastings barrel and the holes in the pattern even at short distances was astounding.

To the OP an 18-18.5 barrel with a +2 Nordic mag extension will get you up and running. You can even add a small section of rail to the Nordic mag clamp to hang a light on it. Not the best light configuration, not the worst. It is pretty slick with a light like a TLR.
    Last edited by Zoub; 08-07-2014 at 12:11.
    Molon Labe, its more than just a T-shirt.

Shooter

User Info Menu

I have a 30" Hastings barrel for my Remington 870 Wingmaster I used to use for Trap. It has straight rifling. The concept is that it prevents the wad from spinning, thereby achieving more consistent patterns. Is it a marketing ploy? Perhaps, but it has been no trouble as far as cleaning any fouling from it. Be it plastic or lead. And that is shooting several rounds on a fast squad, where barrel temps were high enough to cause mirage problems on handicap targets. The barrel cleaned right up, just like any other.

User Info Menu

Yeah, but it's straight and maybe even of different groove design.
    That used for imparting spin I bet sees a much greater load.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast