• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    So I bought a Stoeger M3000 earlier this year for multigun and various shotgunning opportunities perhaps including hunting. It has the 26 or 28" barrel and a great big long stock. While great for adding a long tube and having 8+1 capacity it is way too big to clear a room or swing around a hallway.

First issue was the barrel: I went looking for an alternate barrel that could be purchased at 18-20" and came up with zilch. My next search has been for ANY barrel that then could be cut down to the needed length- also zilch. Is there a possible match found in another Stoeger (M2000 or M3500?) or possibly the Benelli M2 that it is a clone of?

Second the enormous stock: It is no issue and in fact is properly sized for hunting/trap/skeet/3gun etc but could be cut down substantially shorter when used indoors. The gun has a Benelli inertia action and the recoil spring is in the forend so no issue with a shorter stock unlike many other semi autos. The problem is availability. I can't find even a stock replacement even though the website lists one it is out of stock (pardon the pun).

Any suggestions other than buying a brand new or used gun to cut it up?

Webster-dl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    United States
    I'm no expert, but as far as the stock...for very close range (like inside a house...like under 10 feet), you can hold the shotgun under your arm and across the front of your chest, turning your body "edge-wise" toward your target and use your shoulder to "index" the barrel (point your shoulder toward the target...if the shotgun is lying across your chest, your shoulder shouldn't be too far off). I think perhaps it's easier to understand if seen (google: Center Axis Relock). It's not terribly accurate (can't use the sights), and isn't wonderful for recoil control, but it does shorten the effective length of the shotgun by maybe 12 inches and negates the problem of the long stock and saves you any potential problems from altering the stock. As far as targets within about 10 feet (maybe even as far as 15 or 20?), the indexing method is good enough for "minute of man" with not too much getting-used-to time. As far as the long barrel...sorry, if the Stoeger website doesn't have a shorter barrel, I am out of ideas...maybe check Brownells?

One more thing about the "indexing" method -- since the M3000 is recoil-operated, I don't know if you'll have problems with cycling since you are holding it so differently than it was designed.

One final option: Maybe pick up a Mossy 500 or 870 for a few hundred dollars, and use the M3000 for skeet/trap/hunting and other worthy pursuits. =) Might end up cheaper and less problematic than altering the M3000.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    the stoeger m3000 is getting a large following for entry level 3 gun. I have held off buying one for the for the very reasons you started this thread. I want to be able to use for hunting, skeet shooting and home defense, but lack of interfchangable parts appears to be a deal killer.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    the stoeger m3000 is getting a large following for entry level 3 gun. I have held off buying one for the for the very reasons you started this thread. I want to be able to use for hunting, skeet shooting and home defense, but lack of interfchangable parts appears to be a deal killer.

It works awesome for 3 gun, I was only able to make a couple matches this year though.

As far as "getting a 500 or 870" I like going against the grain sometimes and I wanted to see if I could make this shotgun work in this role because I am very impressed with its performance and it seems to have a lot of potential. An AR or 1911 is filling the role currently.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    M3000 isn't only entry level and they can be all done up for the price of a new M2. I shoot a M2 but only cause I got a really good deal on it, but Jesse from Team StagArms shoots a M3000 as well as an M2. If he trusts it enough to use it at a pro level, its good for anything around the Midwest.

Top Bottom