• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Has anybody had a problem with the Ruger scout not striking the primer on some ammo, I went to the range and was shooting my 308 Ruger scout and everything was going well, I was using American eagle ammo, then I switched to magtech and some other cheap target rounds from wal mart, and it would strike the primer but would not send the bullets down range, I tried about 5 shots with each ammunition, it happened every time. I switched back to American eagle and it ran fine. Do I need a stronger firing pin? How can I fix this? Any info would be appreciated
    thanks ahead of time

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I doubt that the headspacing would be off. That would be the last thing I would check. Start small and work up. Typically with steel cased ammo, a stiffer pin spring is required.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I doubt that the headspacing would be off. That would be the last thing I would check. Start small and work up. Typically with steel cased ammo, a stiffer pin spring is required.

I prefer to cut the the chase, but recognize that buying parts in hopes they address problems is in greater vogue.

If you are able to expound on the mechanics of steel cases ammo requiring stiffer pin springs, I would no doubt enjoy reading it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I know some of the steel cased Wolf and Tulammo seemed to have hard primers. At least the 9mm and 40 pistol ammo did. I had a Glock with a 4lb striker spring and sometimes got he occasional light strike. Only happened with the import Russian stuff.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Troubleshooting is a system of progressive steps. Always analyze and start with the least expensive fix first. If it works, the problem's resolved. If not, not much :spend: for a repair that didn't resolve the issue, and there's now a usable spare part on hand.

Agree with both Squirt239 and Vert, some ammo has a tendency toward hard primers. Try a stronger firing pin spring, and see if that resolves the issue.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I've shot steel cased herters ammo thru mine with no problem. Everthing I have shot went bang. I've used remington, Winchester, federal, and herters. I suggest getting a new spring or stop using the ammo that doesn't go bang.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'd go with the spring too. I've had to do the same on a couple of my Mausers. You could also check for any "crud" that might be in the firing pin channel once you take the bolt apart. If it's clean, then try a new spring.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is the Scout just a different version of another rifle like the 77? I was checking Numrich to see if they might have the firing pin spring, but they don't list the Gunsite Scout as one of Ruger's rifles. Presumably it would have the same bolt if it were just a special version of one of their other rifles.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Has anybody had a problem with the Ruger scout not striking the primer on some ammo, I went to the range and was shooting my 308 Ruger scout and everything was going well, I was using American eagle ammo, then I switched to magtech and some other cheap target rounds from wal mart, and it would strike the primer but would not send the bullets down range, I tried about 5 shots with each ammunition, it happened every time. I switched back to American eagle and it ran fine. Do I need a stronger firing pin? How can I fix this? Any info would be appreciated
    thanks ahead of time

Sounds like hard primers/bad primers. Did it put a good hit in the primer? Pictures would tell a lot.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    What do the brass cased look like? If you shoot brass cased and they are easily extracted and there is no flaring at the mouth, it's not a headspace issue. Again, I HIGHLY doubt it's a headspace issue. When you shoot steel cased ammo, they use a stronger primer in them. They have been notorious for misfires. An extra power firing pin spring will no doubt fix your problem. However, if you so choose to send it back, headspace it, whatever...your gun, your choice! Good luck to you.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Self explanatory..........."everything was going well, I was using American eagle ammo, then I switched to magtech and some other cheap target rounds from wal mart,". Cheap ammo is cheap for a reason.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This thread has gotten a little silly. Anybody who thinks that a Ruger RIFLE needs a stronger firing pin spring to fire any primer needs to step back and take a breath. Ruger springs are like three times stronger than what is needed for any primer.

Primers are not not armor plated for pete's sake.

OP, disassemble the bolt. Clean out whatever gunk is in there. Lube it properly and reassemble. I can say with absolute certainty, that is where your problem is. It might even be a broken firing pin. Or bad ammo.

At least check firng pin protrusion. That is always the first step.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    What do the brass cased look like? If you shoot brass cased and they are easily extracted and there is no flaring at the mouth, it's not a headspace issue.

Also hoping to read your treatise on how headspace woes result in difficult extraction and flared case mouths.

Top Bottom