• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I bought a 450 Bushmaster to hunt with, it has flip up sights.
    I saw an article about a guy who used a Leupold ultimate slam scope for a muzzleloader, and said it worked fine on his 450BM .
    I want some type of optic, and am torn between this scope and an Eotech .
    This is for shots that won't exceed 100 yards , mainly out to about 70 on average.
    Anyone have any good advice that might help me choose, the only reason I like the Eotech, is because if it doesn't work for me on this rifle I can put it on one of my other AR rifles.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If you are comfortable at 1x, the EOTech could be a great option. For me, I have a hard time checking the rack count without magnification (particularly near dawn & dusk) and use either a 2-7x or a 2.5-10x. As for the SABR or other holdover reticle, I doubt you will need them inside of 150yds.

For not a lot of money, the Vortex CFii 2-7x and the Nikon PS 2-7x shotgun scope both held up OK on my MLs but a 2-7x Diamondback, 2-8x Diamondback HP, or 2.5-10x Viper HS (my current scope) would likely work out better in the long run. They also make a 1-4x CFii that might be a good option as a multipurpose scope and the 1-4x PST is a significant upgrade, if your budget allows.

FWIW, I would expect the Leupold to hold up just fine and the ballistics of the .450BM should fall within the "sweet spot" for the SABR, if you find yourself reaching out further. I do feel Vortex, Sightron, and others offer better value for the money, but ...

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It depends on your budget. There is nothing special about the ultimate slam scope that makes it work well with 458 ballistics'. Any scope with a measuring reticle, or BDC reticle will work well with 458 ballistics'.

If budget allow's the PST 1-4 is my go to scope for such application, and caliber. Most folks who don't get a PST 1-4 end up going that route eventually.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a .458 AR that is currently wearing a 2-7 shotgun scope that has held up really well. I have zero issues with it and several deer to its credit. On my Savage .458 build, it wears a Vortex PST 1-4 and I'm really happy with it. Either one will work really well, just depends on personal preference.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    It depends on your budget. There is nothing special about the ultimate slam scope that makes it work well with 458 ballistics'. Any scope with a measuring reticle, or BDC reticle will work well with 458 ballistics'.

If budget allow's the PST 1-4 is my go to scope for such application, and caliber. Most folks who don't get a PST 1-4 end up going that route eventually.

Hahaha...I went the exact opposite... Sold the 1-4 to get a higher power from you :)

Top Bottom