• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    I'm interested in acquiring a 50,with that being said a Barrett M107 isn't in the cards so asking for some input about the Armalite AR-50.Good or Bad?I have read a lot online that seems to be good for the most part with it being a 50 none of my buddies have one so asking here as sure there's some good input to be found will be a range toy so the single shot ain't a deal breaker and a left hand model is just icing on the cake Thanks in advance :ingo:

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    cant give any input but i would love to have a 50 bmg just cant justify paying that much money for a gun, let alone one im not gonna get to use daily

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Great rifles, especially the Barrett. Biggest issue is shooting them, the where and the how much. 50BMG goes through stuff and goes far so you need serious backstops. Ammo isn't cheap either.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    I've got a good place that can get close to a thousand yards and as an expense adding 50 to the bench is a given will it be shot daily no,it's something I've wanted for a long time.Lead eye a M99 ain't out of the realm of possibilities but unsure of the stock configuration as I'm a lefty.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I can't remember where the Barrett 82 I fired pitched the brass, I'm thinking i was forward and not very far, that was back in the 80s. I use not very far as a relative term compared to HK stuff that puts the brass in orbit.:)

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    What's your reason for choosing the 50? Cool factor? If it's cool factor I get it, but as far ballistics goes, there are better calibers out there. If you're "only" going to a thousand, there's definitely better calibers for that. .300WM, 6.5Creedmoor, .260Rem, 338LM.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Part of it is the cool factor,and wanting a 50 in the safe my 300 is a good shooter but the 50 is a different animal

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    1911ly on here has one I think. He will be by later for some input.

I'm here :rockwoot:

Isn't his an AR conversion(upper)? Not an Armalite. :dunno:

And nope. It's an Armalite AR50 rifle. I "love" it. Glad to answer any questions. I looked at the Grizzle, Serbu and the Barrett. I opted for the AR50. The Barrett was out of budget, the grizzle seemed a bit cheesy and the wait time was to long on the Serbu. I have no complaints about the AR50.

This never gets old :cool:

[video=youtube;bGMjPHDdc8s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMjPHDdc8s[/video]

OP, where are you located??

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    1911ly your second comment is about where I'm at the Barrett ain't totally out of Budget part of my issue with the M99 is the stock configuration,being a lefty the Armalite is a dream come true being left handed.You loading your own rounds for yours?im thinking with it being the Armalite just more funds for a good optic from the get go.Im in Bloomington the reviews on the AR50 are more good than bad and the videos on YouTube seem to back up the idea

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I have shot several fifties and would definitely recommend the AR 50 over any of the others. Never shot the m107 though.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I also own a Armalite 50 and a AMAC 50.......The AR50 is so much more comfortable than the AMAC to shoot. Mine is a first gen model and its right handed, I like you am left handed but at that time all they made was a right handed model.
    Both of mine tend to be safe queens unless my kid wants to shoot one.
    When you haul one to the range everyone will gather around and want to shoot it.
    I shoot in north Madison county, I did not look and see where you live but if the OP would like to shoot a Armalite we could work something out.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    1911ly your second comment is about where I'm at the Barrett ain't totally out of Budget part of my issue with the M99 is the stock configuration,being a lefty the Armalite is a dream come true being left handed.You loading your own rounds for yours?im thinking with it being the Armalite just more funds for a good optic from the get go.Im in Bloomington the reviews on the AR50 are more good than bad and the videos on YouTube seem to back up the idea

Mine is the early model. Right hand. I have zero regrets. I am saving my brass to reload. I haven't reloaded yet.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    cant give any input but i would love to have a 50 bmg just cant justify paying that much money for a gun, let alone one im not gonna get to use daily

Why would would you want a Camaro SS?, a Kia can take you around the same way for a lot less money. OP was asking for feedback from owners not opinions about getting I don't get this kind of post.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have had the AR50 and the BOHICA and currently own the Ferret50 and the LAR Grizzly. I have shot the Barret M82 when Jason Lee got one.

The AR50 is a beast to carry around, it fit diagonally across the 6' bed of my compact truck, and I had a right hand model when I really needed a left hand (I got a good price and thought I could adapt) and there is no way to convert it because of the way bolt goes under the cheek rest. It was fun to shoot and looked awesome.

The BOHICA is an upper and is ok but the only thing going for it is they were cheapish. After Chris's business imploded they became less desireable.

The Ferret50 is an upper and of the 4 I have owned by far my favorite. I got it custom made in left hand and it shoots like a dream.

The LAR Grizzly is an older design and very heavy, but relatively soft shooting (for a 50) and they can be had relatively cheap. They are built like a tank and very portable.

The M82 is fun to shoot, very soft shooting (for a 50) and very expensive. I would have the M107 over the M82 if I ever got that much money for one.

I probably have a couple thousand rounds through all of the 50s I have owned over the years.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

This thread isn't about what you would or wouldn't own. Why even comment? Trolling??

Why would would you want a Camaro SS?, a Kia can take you around the same way for a lot less money. OP was asking for feedback from owners not opinions about getting I don't get this kind of post.

His comment should have read 'I can't afford it so there for know one needs one" If I only bought what was practical my life would been dull and boring. I wish the OP was closer. We'd make a range trip. The 50 bmg is a rush! I can understand his "want" to own one. I could have bought a 338 or anything else. I wanted a 50. And It was my 50th birthday and I doubt I'll live to 338 :laugh:

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Guys thanks for all your input,I'm sure we could all look around and see stuff we don't need?Its a want for me and was asking the INGO crowd for some trusted feedback with the way things are nowadays I think a lot of reviews are BS and probably not even an actual owner

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Guys thanks for all your input,I'm sure we could all look around and see stuff we don't need?Its a want for me and was asking the INGO crowd for some trusted feedback with the way things are nowadays I think a lot of reviews are BS and probably not even an actual owner

There's a lot of "I heard it from a friend who's" Those reviews are worthless. If you have your heart set on a 50bmg I don't think you will be disappointed. There was one in the want adds a while back. It came with ammo and the die's If I remember correctly. You might search for it. I am not up to date on the currant prices. I can suggest getting the rear mono pod if it doesn't come with it. I think the new ones come with it standard.

You can save a few bucks by getting the earlier model. There is a change on the locking lugs. For the average plinker the older is fine. My gun was either well cared for or a low round count. Mine looks great. Look the bolt and receiver over well. And check out the muzzle brake. Early early one's were riveted panels on the top and bottom. Replace it! They were noted for coming apart! Mine is a newer solid. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Top Bottom