• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    *EDIT: Im just going to include all the review vids as well as the rifles progress in this original thread so as to keep it all in one place and easier for others to find if they needed or wanted to* Just picked up the latest addition today. A Savage Mod12 VLP DBM in 243. This rifle will serve as starting point to getting back into 300yrd benchrest shooting. Like most of us I love to see how I can do the most without breaking the bank. Going to do a muilti part video series on each stage the rifle goes through. I plan on starting of with it as from the factory (an I have to say this is probably the first Savage I've owned were I haven't wanted to rip the factory stock off an hurl it into the trash). The factory laminated stock seems very nice an sturdy. I have an EGW base and steel Leupold rings coming for it an plan to use a no name 36x scope. Then as things progress I do plan on sticking a 36x Weaver T-series on it. Going to start out with just working up a nice starting load for it an take it out. Then do upgrades from there. Hope you guys enjoy!

12vlp_zps5d7d5c98.jpg

[video=youtube;zgOtHKL5lcs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgOtHKL5lcs[/video]

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea I have ran into "those" guys before when I shot benchrest. But Im here tell ya nothing will put a smile on your face quicker when you up the guy next to you with his 3-4k dollar rifle when you have a little over 1k in your own. They tend to get a little testy :dunno:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Outstanding. I want to do the exact thing with the same gun. I can't wait to follow this project!!!

Hoping to get some groups to post up here in a week or so of a few different loads Ive been working on thus far. My work schedule is hindering my play time ;). But so far Im pleased with groups so far but think there is a lot more left it in. Its currently shooting about 2.0-1.5" groups at 200yrds but still trying to find that "one" load. The rifle so far does seem to favor the lighter grain bullets. Im gonna do a little more testing with the 105gr bullets but it would not group them very well at all. I moved down to a 58gr Vmax an the magic started to happen. Im gonna try an get a box of 75gr vmax and or 87gr vmax an see how those fair.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Review Part #2

I've finally had the chance to get out with some different loads to see how the rifle was going to do. As you can see from the video an the group pic shown below I think the rifle has a lot of potential. I know I need a better scope bad The purchase of the Weaver T series is pretty much top priority as of right now. An I will probably invest in a HART ACCURACY ASSET for the forend of the rifle. I'm going to try an get to my local shop this weekend an pic up some projectiles in the 80gr range I think those are going to yield even better results. Although the rifle seems to like the 58gr projectiles I just think the rifle has more to give. I really do think it has the capability of a one hole group at 200yrds. But that's why its called load development, its most defiantly a process. ;)

[video=youtube;T4rWjnnM3Hs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4rWjnnM3Hs[/video]

This was shot using a 58gr Hornady Vmax over 41gr Varget 2.610 COL
    IMG_20141214_133711_984_zpsy0d3nkf7.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Got out for a little more load development today while I had a few minutes. I loaded up 9 different loads using IMR4064 ranging from 38.5gr - 42.5gr in .5gr increments, an 70gr Noslers. An I have to say the rifle seems to like the bullet. All these were loaded .010" off the lands for an OAL of 2.273". The best group out of the five different loads I had tiome to shoot today were done using 41.5gr 4064 topped with the 70gr Nosler BT. This was shot off bench at 200yrds. The gun I think is starting to come into its own maybe it just needed more of a break in or it just favors the medium weight projectiles i.e 60-80gr. But its shooting a lot better.

IMG_20150101_170119_284_zpsab113dc1.jpg

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    A couple of friends are getting very good results from Berger 80s (available from Powder Valley I hear) but I think they are shooting 12 twist barrels. Seems like the faster twist should handle them, though. They are shooting 6 Dasher and 6 BRX at much farther than 300 yards and in high dollar guns.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea from the guys Ive talked with over on Accurateshooter they say the Savages' stock twist of 1:9.25 does favor the 80gr stuff which is what a number of them use in 300yrd benchrest. Which is what I wanted to try but everywhere I looked the 80gr stuff is out of stock. So Im still on the hunt for a box. But so far the 70gr Nosler's are looking very promising. I'm hoping the weather will let up a little so I can get out for a full range session with them an the few different loads I have loaded with them.

Top Bottom