• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A family member showed me his Winchester model 42 .410 pump action tonight. He bought it in pristine condition in about 1970 or so. There is no box or papers. I ran the SN 54,XXX to come up with the year. It was made in 1947. He told me he thinks it was called a "pigeon grade."

He sent it out after he bought it and had a professional engraving and gold inlay done to it. He also had a vented rib installed on it. He has never shot it since he had the work done on it about a year after he bought the gun.

It is still in magnificent condition. There are a few small nicks in the stock but that is it. The engraving is beautiful.

A friend of his asked if he still had the gun and said it is worth quite a bit. I checked Gunbroker and a few other sites. Prices range from $1,500 to over $15,000. The little research I did revealed the older the gun the more it's worth, pre 1964 models brining premiums.

I guess my question is would the vented rib and engraving hurt or help the value? Where could I go to get a better idea of what it's worth.

It is NOT for sale. He was just wondering.

I'll post a pic in a while.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Model 42 Shotguns | Winchester CollectorMy early 50's 42 is worth a decent amount. If the rib was done right it might help. Ribs were rare on early models. Can't speak to the engraving but he used the right person or company it might help. Everything about Winchesters are so well documented you can find the help you need. I can't think of it right now, but I recall crossing paths with a few 42 experts. Might have been through a family member that collects old Winchesters. I will ask him.

Last edited:

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    The wood is Standard Grade Wood, a Pigeon Grade has nicer wood . I do know one Gentleman in the Twin Lakes area of Marshall County that is a big Winchester Collector, he may be able to give you some information. But, I know a lot of them have the mind set that if it was not done by the Winchester Custom Shop it is not Winchester so therefore not good. It may depend on who done the work, but I would think you would have to find a collector that likes the engraving to pay a premium for it? It seems that some Winchesters can have Rust pits deep enough to use as soup pots and the wood can be growing mushrooms and they are still priceless!?

one more

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I am well traveled and see more 42s than most. From the picture and information I can see it is not original but nice engraving etc. I see them similar in the $1400 to $2700 range.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    On Shotgunworld.com, there is a Winchester firearm section. There is one guy in particular that collects Model 42's.

Being an aftermarket rib and engraving, that is a one of a kind gun. It is hard to put a value on.

I, personally, would send it off to Wenig custom stocks and have them put some nice wood on it. He would have something to hand down to his kids and grandkids.

It would probably be worth more to them than it would be on the open market as a done-up field grade Model 42.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's not a Factory upgrade, so not as pricey as one. How much did he spend on the upgrades? I had a Model 12, built up Trap Gun. Beautiful gun but lower value than a Factory made one.

The work was done 30-40 years ago. He has no idea how much he spent. The rib has a company and address of who did the work. Besides that there is no paperwork or reciepts.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Right, it is a Simmons rib, and I am sure they did the work. With how nice the gun is and being aftermarket, that is a $1,500 -$2,000 gun in my book. The wild card is the wood. Someone needs to put decent wood on this thing.

Here is the link for Simmons - Simmons Guns

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Simmons Rib for sure..not a bad addition,means fairly common. The engraving either kills it or makes it worth premium, depending on who you ask....for me it kills it, but some guys really go for it....a shame he didn't just leave it stock, would have been a great deal more valuable, imho

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Update:

It isn't worth anything anymore. My in-laws had a house fire today and lost about everything. We were able to dig out some of the guns that weren't in the brand new safe yet. The .410 was one of them. So was an 8" Colt Python.

My FIL had just bought the safe a few weeks ago. He was waiting to get it moved into a backroom before he filled it up.

The house is gone. Everyone is ok. A few dogs didn't make it though.

Here's the Colt.

Top Bottom