Best .308 under $500, or deals too good to ignore.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Looking to purchase a .308, was thinking about a Savage Axis II (with accu-trigger) with the rebate but also looking at the Trophy Hunter.
    Is there anything else out there I should consider with current deals offered?

Thanks in advance.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The rebate on savage rifles ends today, so you may want to hurry if that is the route you want to go.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Looking to purchase a .308, was thinking about a Savage Axis II (with accu-trigger) with the rebate but also looking at the Trophy Hunter.
    Is there anything else out there I should consider with current deals offered?

Thanks in advance.

The Axis II with accutrigger is a great introductory "out of box" rifle. Most people complained about the heavy trigger in the original Axis, the "II" version fixed that. I think this is one of the best rifles out there (for the money).

I have not shot one, but I have heard great things about the Ruger American as well.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The rebate on savage rifles ends today, so you may want to hurry if that is the route you want to go.

If I had seen this earlier, this is exactly what I would have suggested. Picked up a Model 11 for the wife in .223 for Christmas this year, after tax, and rebate, I walked out the door right under the $500 line, with a Bushnell scope mounted.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Of those two, I'd go with the Savage. They make a great rifle and while I'm sure yo'll eventually want to upgrade that scope, it will do the job for now while you keep your eyes open for a better one.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I had a ruger american in 308 when I lived in michigan,sold it but it shot excellent groups at 100 yards, it really liked federal gold medal ammo.Gander mountain is running 10% off sale, just bought ruger american in .223 for under 400.00 10 days ago, think sale is still on?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I have the Savage Edge, which is the Axis... and obviously doesn't have the accu-trigger. The only thing wrong with the rifle is the trigger. I had no idea they came out with a model that had the accu-trigger... might be time for an upgrade. Oh, I shoot under 1 MOA at 100 yards with handloads. The accuracy from Savage, even with their cheaper line is amazing.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    If you don't mind an older gun look into finding an Ishapore 2a1, you can find them sometimes for $350 and less, I found a sporterized one in Virginia for $219, muzzle brake, synthetic stock, and 4x scope.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Love my Savage Hog Hunter 308. Should be at or below $450. 20" heavy-ish threaded barrel, accutrigger.

^^THIS^^

The Hog Hunter series IMO is one of the highest value bolt action rifles available. You get the real Model 10 action, Medium Contour threaded barrel, an Accutrigger. All for less than $500 brand new in the box. They are most defiantly worth looking into.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    So, DR, what'd ya get? I know you'll have more time now to go to the range w/ some custom handloads ;)

HA, I wish. I went to order the Savage yesterday, started to check out & a message that they were out of inventory came up :(.

I don't have either press set up at the moment, still need to get some caliber conversions for the Dillon. The office move has consumed all my "free" time lately but that project is nearing its end :).

I look forward to you getting out here & doing some shooting.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I routinely see Savage 11's on gunbroker for $500... sometimes less.

That would be my choice... Ruger American and Savage Axis seem like tinkertoys by comparison... no offense to tinkertoys.I'm not fond of the Howa's either.

Marlin X7 would be my next choice.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    Savage axis box magazines are held in place by a bent plastic clip . I really love the gun but for some reason , I just can't get past that .

As soon as I find a way around this , I 'll be all over one ...

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Why does everyone overlooko the T/C Venture -- awesome gun for the price. 5R rifling, decent trigger, very accurate. I've shot them in 223, 243, and 30-06 and they were all excellent (for the money)!!!

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    HA, I wish. I went to order the Savage yesterday, started to check out & a message that they were out of inventory came up :(.

I don't have either press set up at the moment, still need to get some caliber conversions for the Dillon. The office move has consumed all my "free" time lately but that project is nearing its end :).

I look forward to you getting out here & doing some shooting.
    And you won't have me pestering you all the time! ;) A .308 is next on my list of calibres to get. I know the FNRA guys host Savage Arms reps every year on my buddy's farm. They bring a pallet of ammo for a 2 day shoot! By buddies tell me they LOVE shooting the Savages, and they're pretty accurate right out of the box.

No worries, I'm looking forward to getting to the range with ya! And eventually getting into reloading... in due course. Still need to get a Harley and some other 'toys' ;)

Top Bottom