• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Just finished my AR build and am having a little issue. When I pull the CH and BCG back and let it drop, not at full speed it makes a ping noise when the bolt locks up. The sound seems to be amplified by the 15" free float handguard. I checked gas tube and gas key for proper alignment and the gas tube does not seem to be smacking. Any ideas on what it could be. Haven't shot the gun yet, I don't think it's going to be a unsafe matter but an annoying on anyway. Barrel is Spikes and BCG is PSA premium. Haven't checked headspace because of lack of tools and know how.

Any help appreciated!

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    Close the bolt (on a cleared and safe rifle) while holding on to your muzzle device (insert jokes) and see if it stops. I have two Smith Vortex flash suppressors that make a nice harmonic ping.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've had a sound I'd describe as pinging, result from interference between the carrier key and gas tube. Mark up the inside mouth of your gas key with a marker and close the bolt into battery (at 'full speed'). Pull the BCG and note whether or where the marker is removed. A little interference isn't bad but you don't want the key to eat the tube. Adjust the tube as necessary.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Probably just harmonics. What muzzle device are you using? Who's handguard?

+1 for free float harmonics. Its 'ringing' like a tuning fork or wind chime or ?. You've induced a harmonic ring by thumping the base with the BCG closing. Someone measure the frequency.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom