• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I know this question probably goes without need for asking. But... Is there really any good non-AK rifle out there that can reliably feed and shoot 7.62x39 ammo? And by 7.62x39 ammo, I am mainly looking at the steel cased stuff like the Wolf and Tula. The brass cased rounds are simply too expensive and defeat the purpose for buying a gun chambered in this round. I could shoot the 7.62.51 cheaper than brass cased 7.62x39. I've looked at the AK's and come to the conclusion that the Arsenal's are probably amongst the best sold here in the US. But I was curious about some of the others like the Sig 556xi, Rock River LAR-47 and Ruger Mini-30. The AK's just don;t have the same fit and finish as the others. I realize the AK is rugged, dependable and all that. But I am curious if there really is any good alternative(s) or if an AK is really the only way to go with this round?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Just bought a VZ 2008 that I love. On the other hand, if you want accuracy with steel-cased Wolf ammo, go with a CZ 527, which I also have, and love. There ya' go.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    The SKS is a great choice. They can be found around the $350 range. My is very accurate with the wolf I mostly use, and I've never had a malfunction in it. I would recommend using surplus stripper clips with it if you stick with a stock mag.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    The SKS is a great choice. They can be found around the $350 range. My is very accurate with the wolf I mostly use, and I've never had a malfunction in it. I would recommend using surplus stripper clips with it if you stick with a stock mag.

SKS is a fine gun. Careful some people think they are gold these days...but the 300-350 range shoudl be good for a Chinese.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Had a VZ2008, cool rifle, but my faith in Century disappeared quickly and sold it. The VZ platform is nice but typical commie rifle and the handguards heat up like a SOB. That being said, a CZ VZ58 or another type of VZ platform would be interesting.

Had a SKS, cool gun, just never shot it, sold it.

I'm curious how well these will work after heavy abuse

Mk47 MUTANT (7.62x39)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I like the SKS. If you get one, buy something chrome lined like a Russian or Chinese. Corrosive ammo was plentiful, and some have a pretty rotten bore if they are not.
    The CZ 58 rifles are nice, although I am always suspect of anything Century builds including g the 2008 clone thing. Plus the Century barrels aren't chrome lined, which would bug me. The CZ / D Technik ones are probably the nicest, as well as a Czech Point or Ohio Ordnance. Be forewarned though, just because they look mildly AK'ish, they are a totally different animal and even use different mags.
    The first generation Sig 556R was a POS, second generation is much nicer. They are not ((10)) or US Palm compatible so that might be an issue if you already have any mags. The verdict is still out on the 556XI, but I personally wouldn't spend my own money on one yet.
    Love the Mini 30, I bet the one I grew up on has at least 10 thousand rounds through it and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it were double that. Chinese ammo was cheap, and we sure went through a lot of it. Not particularly accurate though, especially once they heat up. The newer heavier barreled Tactical model should out shoot my old Ranch rifle though.
    The new IWI Galil is soon to come out, and also looks extremely promising. IWI makes an awesome weapon, and I wouldn't expect the Galil to be anything short of amazing.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    The Mini-30 is notorious for problems with primers on the cheap steel-case ammo. Some may shoot them OK, but I would consider that a plus.

Have you thought about the bolt action cz-527 carbine?

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I actually did call Ruger a while back for another question. But while I had them on the phone, I asked about shooting steel cased ammo in the Mini-14 and Mini-30. They specifically said neither was designed to shoot it and it is not recommended. Yet I see posts online where some swear by having no issues with it. But there are others who say otherwise too. I guess it is best not to consider the Mini-30 then for steel cased ammo. Too bad really. I love the look and feel of the Mini's. Not sure why Ruger would build one chambered in 7.62x39 and not make it so it can feed/shoot the steel cased rounds.

I have read that the Sig 556R had a lot of problems. But it looks like the newer 556xi is a whole new animal. But right now there isn't a whole lot of feedback out there on it.

The Rock River LAR-47 looks promising. It seems that they paid a lot of attention to detail in making this thing reliable and functional. They openly market it as reliable with steel cased rounds. And they went so far as to chrome line the barrel and internals. And it accepts most AK magazines. They only drawback is the direct impingement design on this particular gun. One would think it would make more sense to go with a gas piston on a 7.62x39 gun. It probably would help keep it cleaner and feed more reliably.

As far as AK's... I have read a lot online and talked to a few "experts". It seems the majority feel the Arsenals are the best available option here. Unfortunately none of the AK's really match the quality feel of the others or an AR. They may be reliable shooters. But they look and feel so crude and sloppy. And this even goes for the Arsenals. They might be great guns. But looking at one, you don;t see anything stellar that makes it leaps and bounds better than any of the cheaper offerings.

The Galil definitely shows promise. I would think if anyone could build a good, reliable gun, it would be the Israelis.

I don't mind paying more for a good, reliable, rugged gun. I often see where some knock a $500 AK for not being so great and not so accurate vs their $1000+ AR. And I don;t see where that is a fair comparison.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I've heard lots of good stuff about the CZ, although I have no idea what it cost. I have 2 SKS's and am very pleased with both for their intended use(plinking,varmint extermination and deer). Also have a NPAP AK.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    VZ2008 from Century arms is a rock solid rifle. Of all of them i have handled...not a one has failed. No issues with them on a whole as i know it. It was one of centurys decent builds. also look into the Sig556R. Get the Gen2. they are ar like with top rails, and add on tacti-cool accessories, yet take ak47 magazines. Also there is the MGI Hydra. Takes ak47 magazines but is an ar15 in every other way. Only thing proprietary is the lower. which allows the magazine wells to be changed and can take .22 up to 308 on a standard lower. MGI runs 1100 or so, SIG runs 1100 or so, and the vz2008 can be had for 500. Warning on the vz2008. If you want an ak47 like rifle understand it is just that. adding scopes, rails, and other stuff gets pricy FAST! I have one and very few companies make accessories....except the israelis...and they charge out the arse for stuff. Mags are harder to find for the VZ, but are usually a few dollars more than an AK47 magazine when u find them. i have 10 mags and paid about 120 for them..plus a little shipping. they are nice magazines and give you a bolt hold open...which the sig, ak47, and HYDRA do not.
    My 2 cents.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's always stock Saiga, though not as good of a value as in yesteryear. Also, the Vepr's in wood stocks look fancy.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had stainless Mini-30. Thing was a lot of fun to shoot but it did have problems with the steel cased stuff. I changed out the springs to the higher power Wolff springs and that helped quite a bit, but still couldn't call it 100%.

whatwehavehere

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    Indiana
    Just picked up a new mini thirty, i.e. brand new. After only 4 shots, it's on it's way back to ruger because the recoil caused the trigger assembly to pop free from the gun every shot. That was disappointing, but it did fire 4 for 4 with Russian made Red Army Standard ammo.

RustyNail

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    I have a RRA LAR-47 X-1.....Love shooting it. It does not take all AK mags but, will shoot every brand of ammo I have fed it. I did have some hang ups with 154gr soft points. I used a mag lula and the problems went away. I use thurmold mags from Buds for 8 bucks each and its all good, never found another mag that will work in the gun. If you can get past the mag issue the rest of the gun is awesome

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom