• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    So before I moved from Virginia, I managed to acquire an old school AR, A1 tri-angle fore grip, and fixed stock, and I love it! I understand the need for the "tommy-tactical" AR, but I'm revisiting my Air Force Basic days and love shooting old school, anyone out there like these as well? Alas no Pictures yet!

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I plan on building on sometime. Thought about buying one of the Vietnam parts kits. But I'll just pick up the pieces separately.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Mine has an Anderson lower, and a Bushmaster upper, not a true A1, because the sights are easily adjustable, not the old type that need a bullet to adjust. For open sights it shoots nice! Now for an original bayonet!!

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I Didn't plan on building a true one. I would like an easy to adjust sight. I'll probably go with redxarms upper. And thought about wood furniture even. But will probably just stick with polymer.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    A couple of years ago, I bought a complete USGI Colt 603 upper made in 1966. I found the correct furniture, and built a nice retro rifle like I had in Vietnam.

Dave

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have two, a 603 that is almost all correct. All parts are period correct except the lower, will some day get a nodak lower for it. The other is an xm177. That one is all period correct and a nodak lower. They are my two favorite ARs. Just clean and simple.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I got myself an A2 style.

m16.JPG

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There is something about having a rig just like the one Uncle Sam put in your hands. Personally, I had an M16A4 which is just a regular 20" with more junk mounted on it. I missed the boat recently, but PSA had 20" kits for sale on black friday for $420 with everything minus the stripped lower and rear sight. There is something more relaxing about shooting a full size 20" AR.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have always like the look of the "original" better than the newer ones. The triangle hand guards are cool. I was thinking about building one that way but alas, I wanted to float the hand guard so I didn't.

My next build is going to be more of a 3-gun style rifle. Maybe I'll build a third that is retro.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Glad to hear about this build. I also carried an M-16 in Nam and am building a replica. I have the lower parts but haven't started the upper yet so I'll keep watching posts here for additional info from you guys. Thanks

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The complete uppers were a lot cheaper ten years ago ($200).

Colt M16A1 AR15 Parts Kit with 20" Barrel ( no lower receiver) $590

https://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30665

Colt M16A1 Parts Kit Less Barrel and Lower Receiver $496

Colt M16A1 Parts Kit

I had no idea I could have one of these. I have a lower and was planning to head to the gun show this month to shop for the other parts. I think I may order the Colt parts kit and practice some butt strokes.

Top Bottom