• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leggdpms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    Who shoots steel case ammo through their AR-15? I have a Noveske Afghan 14.5 and just got a case of Tula .223 for $100 dollars lol. From my understanding it's a chopper bullet just in a steel case? All I'm worried about is my barrel.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    First of all the case doesn't go through the barrel, so no worries there. Some claim that the steel cases are hard on the extractor but the best opinion is that the steel used in steel-cased ammo is softer than the steel used in the chamber and the extractor so you're not going to do any damage.

Go for it!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Military Arms Channel did a Youtube video on this very subject.

[video=youtube_share;P5ZB3UfG960]http://youtu.be/P5ZB3UfG960[/video]

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    Read the article from lucky gunner that one shot posted. Not just the case is steel, but the bullet is also. They just have a very thin copper wash. Some will say the steel of the barrel is much harder than the mild steel of the bullets, but I don't buy into this 100%. I do believe they will wear a barrel out faster than a true copper bullet. The question is can the barrel be easily replaced for the amount of money you are saving shooting steel.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've shot about 15 rounds through my beater before, but I tend to stick to brass for that one.

I've shot more steel through my POF, mainly because I didn't feel like picking up brass in the snow and because POF says go for it

I'd tend to stay away from steel unless your manuf. says it's okay

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I read something once where they said shooting domestic ammo was better for the barrel. I don't remember the exact info but if I remember right, it was something like 10,000 rounds of the wolf or Tula stuff would have your barrel shot out. Let's see, the steel case stuff is something like $.35, while the stuff they are comparing it to was close to $1 a shot. After 10,000 rounds, that's $650 difference. I think I could buy a few AR barrels for that. That is if I could even afford to go burning thru 10,000 in the first place.

There is a LOT of that cheap stuff being used, because you get the most "bang for your buck", and that is eating into the market share pretty hard. I see these "studies" that demonise the steel cased ammo and marketing ploys. And little more.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I don't believe it will cause you any trouble, with the exception of getting your chamber dirtier due to the steel not expanding like brass, thus not making as nice of a seal. Worse case scenario and the softer steel case somehow damages rhe harder steel in your extractor, that's a very cheap part to replace.

That said, some rifles struggle or flat out refuse to shoot it. My recommendation would have been to try it in your particular rifle prior to buying a case. But you got a good deal on it, and I'm sure you could sell it if it does not work out.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    I have 4 ARs. 2 retros and 2 that I built for me and the wife. One of those is a model 1 sales upper and the other upper came from m&s in Clinton. All 4 eat it and like it. And like just mentioned, I too am not about to chase brass all over hell out of them.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I would be more worried about the rifle cycling the steel cased ammo than I would about the ammo wearing on the parts. I have owned five ARs in 5.56 and one in 5.45x39. Only one of the 5.56 rifles didn't like steel cased ammo and that would be my currently owned Ruger AR-556. The steel case ammo will not cycle the action properly, specifically it will fire and eject the spent round, but won't feed the next round. I attribute this to the rifle having less than 300 rounds through it so far and not broken in yet.

IMO, if it will reliably feed steel cased ammo, I say run the hell out of the stuff. I would also advise to run some brass cased stuff through it occasionally as well.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If you want a to meet a really good midway zone just shoot the hornady steel cased match ammo. should come out to around 22 bucks for 50 and that is some great stuff

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I personally would not shoot Tulammo steel through that nice of a barrel. Tulammo uses a bi-metal jacket (thin layer of copper over steel). If you had a sub $150 melonite treated barrel I'd say shoot it all day long. The cost savings would outweigh the cost of the barrel. If you want to shoot steel cased ammo, buy Wolf WPA which has a true copper FMJ bullet.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I personally would not shoot Tulammo steel through that nice of a barrel. Tulammo uses a bi-metal jacket (thin layer of copper over steel). If you had a sub $150 melonite treated barrel I'd say shoot it all day long. The cost savings would outweigh the cost of the barrel. If you want to shoot steel cased ammo, buy Wolf WPA which has a true copper FMJ bullet.
    I honestly did not know that. I think you just gave me something to research. Thanks!

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    Wolf WPA is a bi-metal bullet.
    Wolf gold is brass case copper bullet.
    Wolf copper jacketed is steel case copper bullet.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I read something once where they said shooting domestic ammo was better for the barrel. I don't remember the exact info but if I remember right, it was something like 10,000 rounds of the wolf or Tula stuff would have your barrel shot out. Let's see, the steel case stuff is something like $.35, while the stuff they are comparing it to was close to $1 a shot. After 10,000 rounds, that's $650 difference. I think I could buy a few AR barrels for that. That is if I could even afford to go burning thru 10,000 in the first place.

There is a LOT of that cheap stuff being used, because you get the most "bang for your buck", and that is eating into the market share pretty hard. I see these "studies" that demonise the steel cased ammo and marketing ploys. And little more.

+1 I use mainly steel cased stuff in all my AR's.With the cost savings barrel wear is a non issue imho.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Wolf WPA is a bi-metal bullet.
    Wolf gold is brass case copper bullet.
    Wolf copper jacketed is steel case copper bullet.

My mistake. Looked it up and unfortunately you're right. They were one of the last companies I used when everybody started going bi-metal.

I started reloading and didn't buy anymore steel so didn't know Wolf switched.

Last edited:

birdo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Lafayette, IN
    I have never had a problem with any steel case ammo, neither feeding nor wear and tear.

Just one note of caution, if you shoot competitively, just make sure that you aren't taking bimetal or other rounds to a match that may harm steel targets. Don't know if that applies to you, but just in case.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    My rifles eat what I feed them! That being said, I still tend to reserve more steel case ammo for rifles I care less about than others. I dont really know why honestly, more a sub-conscious thing maybe?
    I've shot a lot of steel cased stuff through AR's though and i've had one problem where an empty shell got caught in the chamber. It was a DSA upper that didnt like steel cased ammo though, never did.. everything else has been just fine!

Top Bottom