Anyone have experience with James River Armory s 1903A4?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I'm interested in one, but would like to hear from any Ingo members that have one, and their experiences with them.
    I want to try Vintage sniper, but my M1D is simply not competitive against the bolt guns.

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I don't own one, and don't know anything about them but I would like to see a review from some one who bought one.
    I've been looking at 1903's for a while but all the nice ones are out of my price range. This seems like a cheaper way of getting one in good condition, but I bet the performance varies from rifle to rifle since they are just restoring them. Or do they do more such as re-barreling them?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    There are not a lot of choices for new production scoped 1903 rifles. Or a lot of interest or actual owners for them. If you buy one, you will be a member in a very small club.

Here is my opinion: CMP has succeeded in getting guys interested in obsolete guns with no practical purpose to shoot games matches for no practical benefit. Or even any money or meaningful prizes.

Buy one and be the best using an antique rifle that you can be.

Have fun. It is only for fun.

I can't think of a single reason to not buy one. If your interest is in sniper rifles used in like 1944....

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    There are not a lot of choices for new production scoped 1903 rifles. Or a lot of interest or actual owners for them. If you buy one, you will be a member in a very small club.

Here is my opinion: CMP has succeeded in getting guys interested in obsolete guns with no practical purpose to shoot games matches for no practical benefit. Or even any money or meaningful prizes.

Buy one and be the best using an antique rifle that you can be.

Have fun. It is only for fun.

I can't think of a single reason to not buy one. If your interest is in sniper rifles used in like 1944....

Emphasis on slough's statement to have fun.

I went and looked at the offerings on the James River site. The 1903s they offer ARE neat, but that is a lot of money for a 112 yr old technology (yes, it's a Mauser and they've been around for 141 years but it's still a lot of money).

I have a 1903 with a C Stock. The receiver was cast in 1929 & it was rebuilt with a new barrel in 1942. It is fun to shoot, groups at 100 yds are inside of 6" with .30 M1 Ball ammo. I'm very fortunate. It does not have a scope.

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    I'm interested in trying to do my best in the CMP games. I love shooting my 82A1, but practical, no. I have a little over 300 yards that I can shoot about anything on.
    Bowling ball mortar, 50s whatever. Who needs a big house, a fast car, or many other things? It's what you want to do to be happy.
    My health is what will be limiting what I do soon. I want to go back to Camp Perry and shoot again. And be competitive!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm interested in trying to do my best in the CMP games. I love shooting my 82A1, but practical, no. I have a little over 300 yards that I can shoot about anything on.
    Bowling ball mortar, 50s whatever. Who needs a big house, a fast car, or many other things? It's what you want to do to be happy.
    My health is what will be limiting what I do soon. I want to go back to Camp Perry and shoot again. And be competitive!

The last time I competed at Perry was 2001. I would love to go back again. I don't have to tell you that you are the determining factor of your competitiveness. Find how to do that.

Good luck sir.

Top Bottom