• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Sent in my paperwork today for a CMP Special grade M1 in '06. I joined the Garand Collectors Association to qualify for the club affiliation, but they won't have my membership card for a few weeks. I sent the email receipt, hopefully they will take that. I'm a CMP virgin, but very excited. Not my first Garand, but my first from the CMP.

Anyone have first hand experience about how the Specials shoot?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    They shoot about the same as any other Garand. Until someone like Jerry Johnson does his magic and cuts groups at 200 yards in half.

Does the CMP advertise the Special Grades as being more accurate? I thought they were matching parts....

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    They shoot about the same as any other Garand. Until someone like Jerry Johnson does his magic and cuts groups at 200 yards in half.

Does the CMP advertise the Special Grades as being more accurate? I thought they were matching parts....

No, they don't say they're more accurate, just that the barrel is new. Do you have a website for Jerry Johnson? I tried to google, but didn't find a link. I'm looking for a good garand gunsmith.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    No, they don't say they're more accurate, just that the barrel is new. Do you have a website for Jerry Johnson? I tried to google, but didn't find a link. I'm looking for a good garand gunsmith.
    I got his name from JetGirl while I was visiting her gunshop but I no longer have the contact info. Send her a PM and I bet she can help you find him.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    sloughfoot, The CMP Service Grade Special is what you're thinking of ... this rifle configuration isn't currently available. When it was, it had matching collector grade parts, but had been outfitted with a new manufactured stock. The current CMP Special uses mostly USGI refurbished parts and is outfitted with a new barrel and stock.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I have handled them at the South store. They sure are pretty. There was one in the rack last May that caught my eye. It was a 5 digit SA receiver, new criterion barrel, new dark walnut CMP stock, beautiful reparked finish. Leon talked me out of it in favor of a correct grade HRA; but, I kinda wish I had bought it. I thought the low serial number was neat.

You'll enjoy your GCA membership. I'm going on 6 years. I look forward to the quarterly magazine. They just made a great documentary of the M1 on DVD. You'll want to buy the video!

There is a trailer here: The Garand Collectors Association » Blog Archive » GCA?s DVD ?America?s Rifle ? The M1 Garand?

I look forward to seeing your pictures!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    sloughfoot, The CMP Service Grade Special is what you're thinking of ... this rifle configuration isn't currently available. When it was, it had matching collector grade parts, but had been outfitted with a new manufactured stock. The current CMP Special uses mostly USGI refurbished parts and is outfitted with a new barrel and stock.

Thank you for the information. CMP makes me dizzy with the various configurations they put out for sale.

I do know that until Jerry did his thing, which included op-rod work and some trimming of the stock and other things that he did not divulge, my brand new rifle, with a brand new barrel and stock was a mediocre shooter. After his work, I easily held the 10 ring or better. Good enough to be 7th of 1500 a few years ago.

Top Bottom