• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hi folks:

I've been tasked with cleaning up my mother-in-law's Mossberg 51m .22 rifle... (semi-auto)

I got it apart, cleaned it, and everything back together just fine. The only left-over parts I have are the 2 screws that hold the barreled action to the stock and the two screws that hold the plastic trigger guard in the stock.

What I can't figure out is how to keep the bolt charging handle from coming out of the bolt?!

It's one of those dealios that if you push the handle IN at a certain spot of the bolt travel, the charging handle will enter a slight recess and act as a "safety". Pull it out = free bolt travel.

Only now, the thing'll come right on out.

Just wondering if anyone else had experience with this type of Mossberg semi-auto action and could give me a tip or two on what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

-J-

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Remove the stock...

Make sure the rifle is not cocked....

Unscrew the knurled cap at the rear of the receiver... there is a bit of residual spring pressure here, but not a whole bunch.. remove the cap and operating spring.

Slide the bolt to the rear until you can insert the bolt handle through the REARMOST hole in the receiver, into the bolt ... that hole is larger than the others and will allow the bolt handle to be inserted further, and then retained....

Slide the bolt forward to retain the handle, and replace the operating spring, and end cap.

Replace the stock, and you're good to go.

I have documentation, and detailed info on that series rifle. If you're interested, PM me your mailing address and I'll send you copies.

Regards, Jay

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Perhaps I spoke too soon...

Inserting the charging handle into the rear-most hole in the receiver didn't lock the charging handle in place... It still comes right out.

I don't think that doing this with the action out of the stock would make any difference as there's nothing in the stock to impact the receiver.

Also, the 51M doesn't unscrew from the back, there's a little retaining ring that when tension is removed from the end cap, will allow the cap to spin, bringing some locking lugs out of its cutouts. Not a HUGE difference between that and unscrewing, but I wonder if, then, the spring/hammer assy. is different, too.

What is there, on the "inside" of the bolt, if anything, that keeps the charging handle in place...something I might be missing. I tried comparing this 51M to a friend's dad's 151B...they're just enough different to make intuiting difficult, at least for us.

I think I'll take you up on the offer to have copies of the literature you have! PM inbound!

-J-

NickBlasta

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a 51M problem. Just wondering if I could ask you guys a question. I picked one up not too long ago, and I'm trying to disassemble it. I removed the cap from the back of the receiver along with the spring. Am I just supposed to pull on the cocking knob to get it out? No amount of force seems to let me tug it out.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It would take me a little while to refamiliarize myself with the gun. My MIL's gun is still in the condition it was in when I wrote the OP.

Unfortunately, I honestly don't know when I'd have the time to dig it out and examine it again. :-(

I really need to fix this sucker!

bassboneguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Norfolk
    IndyGuy
    I have encountered the same problem with my old Mossberg 51m, bolt charging handle will not stay in after cleaning. If you have found a solution you could share I'd be most helpful. This is the only post on the internet I could find related to this problem.

Best,

bassboneguy

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I still haven't had the time (or money) to dig this rifle back out for repair.

I do remember, now, though, that it was pretty much recommended that I replace the whole charging handle.

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I had the same problem, and it turns out you have to remove the firing pin and insert that rod with spring, and while you are holding it into the bolt carrier put back in the firing pin and insert the whole assembled bolt group into the rifle. The firing pin has a little latch on it that holds that spring rod in plae, and thats what the bolt handle latches into. Here is a picture of the instructions for a confusing but step by step. 12571359_10153332509857469_55262369_n.jpg

Top Bottom