• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    I would like to hear some feed back on maintenance / reliability / accuracy with factory and reloads. And of course how enjoyable to shoot. Any thing on scope mounts scopes and furniture would also be welcome. I have thought about an AR10 but think I would like an M1A more.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I really like the M14/M1A platform. Built mine on a Fulton M14 barreled receiver couple years ago. If I had the extra money I would not hesitate buying a new Springfield M1A. They are no problem to maintain (use some grease in areas over oil, but it is simple). I have run surplus South African 7.62, Winchester, Federal XM80, ZQ1 Turkish and match grade ammo through mine. No issues whatsoever.
    Best accuracy came with Lake City M852 match ammo, which is hard to find now. I think the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 BTHP is about the same round and I have shot it too.
    If you get a standard rifle there are a few things you can do to help accuracy, although right out of the box you will likely be pleased. I got the book through Fulton when I built mine and highly recommend it for any owner, I think it is called the M14 Complete owners guide.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Oh, and my M14 is regular USGI sights. The one I used to carry on duty was the same, so I don't know about scope mounts but have seen several options out there.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I love my M1A.
    Everything and anything you want to know about the M1A can be found here --
    M14 Forum - M14 Forum for M14 M1A Rifles
    Hope this helps

What he said..... but i will go ahead and answer some of your questions.

first off, what do you want to use the rifle for, and how much are you willing to spend? There are many different versions out there of the m14, you can get a 16 inch barreled, an 18 inch (or a 19.25 inch) barreled version with either a standard weight barrel or medium weight barrel, or you could get a 22 inch barreled m14 in either a standard, medium, or heavy barrel not to mention the barrel twists. The m14, depending on stock, barrel weight and length can be anywhere from 8.5 pounds to close to 20 pounds.

-Maintenance/cleaning is very easy... you really only need to clean the barrel and bolt, and occasionally clean the gas piston. You can do all of that while keeping the rifle in the stock if you choose to bed the stock, or get a stock like a SAGE, JAE, blackfeather, etc. Besides that there are a few tools out there to further disassemble the rifle. You can also get "national match" or GI parts to upgrade the rifle in the accuracy department. The thing to remember is that if you buy a standard m1a you are getting a battle rifle (2-3 MOA). In order to get more accuracy out of the rifle you will either need to get a "higher end" model with heavier barrel, better sights, NM internals, better stock, and/or etc (or upgrade your own rifle over time) if you want an 1 MOA rifle. Not to say the standard model will not shoot well, in fact, since you reload you can probably find the perfect load for your rifle and it do much better than others that are similar to it. I got on average 2 MOA with my M1a scout rifle, most groups bigger, some smaller, but on average about 2 MOA with iron sights using standard ppu ammo. My newer JRA m21 I have gets about 1.5-2 moa with irons using the same ppu ammo. Once i have the money to buy a quality optic for my m21, I am hoping my groups will get smaller yet. (I guess this also answered your accuracy questions as well, but in short... accuracy is pretty respectable with factory ammo considering I was using iron sights. On m14forum, i know people that have optics and found the perfect load for their rifle do VERY well in the accuracy department. Search for the "1.5 moa challenge" some people are getting sub MOA.)

-Reliability- Well lets be honest. This is a very robust platform. I love it so much! Both m14 variant rifles i have owned never have had a malfunction. While i have a bias towards my james river armory M14 and its forged receiver and better build quality (vs Springfield) both will outlast their owner 99% of the time. There are things you need to watch out for, like most weapon platforms, but once you know what to watch out for, these things run like a champ.

-enjoyable!!!! I love shooting the m14. ar10s and ar15s are fun to shoot for me and i like shooting them, but there is just something about shooting this thing that I love!

-mounting scope- there are certain models out there that have the rail built into the receiver that are awesome..... LRB m25, James River Armory M21, Springfield M25 (which is very expensive). Otherwise there are some mounts out there that are great (bassett, sadlak, etc) that attach to 99% of m14 variants out there.... the other 1% is usually something is out of spec in the receiver.

-stocks- wood, fiberglass, vltor, mcmillian, SAGE, JAE, blackfeather, etc... it really depends on the purpose of the rifle and how much you want it to weigh.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    JWAS sums it up very well. This is a rifle you can live with and shoot well with.

I bought my M1-A some 18 years ago. It is a solid piece, it is my go to rifle to this day. It has won matches for me, it won a State Championship for me. In my old age, it still gives me opportunity to compete. I admit I love showing it off.

M1AF-Class_zpsb4e34eac.jpg

IMG_0901_zps962011dc.jpg

Buy it. It will serve you well.

Oh, as to accuracy. The second pic is shooting the gun @ 1,000 yds. I was able to maintain a 24" group with 20 rounds of my hand loads.

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    Wow I am really pumped about it now. I will be a buyer sooner than later.

Thanks to all. I knew I would get "just the facts". But I did notice just a little emotion.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Wow I am really pumped about it now. I will be a buyer sooner than later.

Thanks to all. I knew I would get "just the facts". But I did notice just a little emotion.

A little emotion? It's downright love! Every time my wife catches me sleeping with mine, she sends me to the couch for a few nights. ;)

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I will get the 22". Is that called the standard?

I would call it the "traditional" length. every time i hear standard i think of the barrel contour. :)

No matter what, just make sure you get what you want, and try and stay true to that. But then again, i originally was going to get a standard model, but fell in love with the 18 inch since I was looking for an all purpose gun. Then after i found another gun for my all purpose gun (only reason was due to cheaper ammo) i decided to go back to a heavier barreled model that I could scope and shoot for accuracy.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Ok, here are a few pointers. If you get the M1A then do yourself a favor and buy a back up USGI extractor and spring/dentent. Not that SAIs break extractors all the time, but that is the most often reported problem of late. Just buy the GI extractor no matter what you buy, spares won't hurt anyting. James River makes a nice M14 clone now that seems to be getting rave reviews.

If you are a wood and steel kinda guy, then locate a proper GI stock. A much better feeling stock than the factory.

Buy a bunch of mags, you'll need them.

Forget the scope until you have made yourself intimately familiar with the iron sights, they are beautiful sight. Once you have lots of range time with the irons, look into the Bassett or ARMS 18 mount, and get a scope designed for a gas gun. The constant back and forth action can trash a scope that is perfect for a bolt gun.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    I would like to hear some feed back on maintenance / reliability / accuracy with factory and reloads. And of course how enjoyable to shoot. Any thing on scope mounts scopes and furniture would also be welcome. I have thought about an AR10 but think I would like an M1A more.
    Emotion aside, here are the facts: An AR-10 is easier to maintain, generally more accurate out of the box, far easier and far cheaper to accurize, and will handle a much wider pressure range of loads. An AR-10 is also far easier to scope. All of that said, the M1A/M14 just feels better in the hands and shoulders better for me. Despite their similar weights, M1As/M14s feel better balanced to me than AR-10s. So, my brain likes AR-10s, but my heart likes M14s. You won't go wrong with either, so get the one that you think you'll like best.

Top Bottom