• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I was bored at home tonight and turned to tinkering with the guns as I usually do when I'm bored. I had some nylon strap and a few clips from an old backpack so I thought I'd fashion a cheap sling. After putting it together I put it on my rifle (rem 700 sps tactical) and slung it on my sholder. I gave it a few tugs to check durability and found that it wasn't too durable. The top end of the sling toward the barrel end came loose and the rifle swung down and hit directly on the very end /side of the barrel. Put a huge dent in my laminate hardwood floor which sits on a slab. I'm concerned that I may have done damage to the rifle seeing that the floor is so hard. Any input is appreciated.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Doubt it was hurt, any deformation on the barrel or crown? If not you should be good to go aside from maybe knocking your zero off. I've beat the hell out of a few Rem700 rifles, they're pretty tough.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I agree with Phylo, a fall from that height shouldn't damage it.
    The only rifle I've ever truly damaged, involved getting thrown from a horse with it slung on my back. It was a bad and painful day!

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    No visible damage to the barrel or crown that I could see. I don't have a scope on it right now and the fist thing I thought of was that I'm not going to know if any harm was done until I buy one to slap on it. Dropping the gun was bad enough and then to find the huge gouge in the floor that would have to be explained to the wife made it even that much worse. The feedback I'm getting makes me feel better. The barrel is a pretty heavy profile so that should help quite a bit.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just as Bennettjh suggested, definitely check your zero.
    The g-force from the drop at an angle not normally experienced by your scope (assuming that you have one mounted) could have possibly taken it off where you set it.
    As long as your crown itself didn't hit anything harder than just wood, your barrel itself should be just fine.
    Also, please don't take the ultra cheap route with mock up slings and get a proper one with proper swivels to snap into studs.
    Just a suggestion (no, not a plug, just a very happy customer), but I highly recommend the Hunter Quick-Fire sling here - Hunter Quick-Fire Sling 1 Wide Leather Brown
    Both of my centerfire rifles wear this sling, and I can instantly take it from an over-the-shoulder carry strap, to lengthened for bracing around the arm for shooting offhand, to tightened all the way up to put the rifle back in the safe; and I can do all that without having to fiddle around with buckles or untying and retying something.
    You won't be worried about dropping your rifle that way, and it'll make using your rifle much easier.
    Oh, and it's nice quality leather, and it's made in the US of A.
    Check it out.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    No scope currently on the rifle so no worries there, wish I did so I could check a couple groups. I sold the scope that was on it not too long ago with the intentions of upgrading. This may move things a little quicker.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    check the barrel from the muzzle to as far as you can get a good flat read. check at least 6 times around the barrel. Like this... *

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Straight edge isn't really long but from what I can tell it checks out. I'll be pissed if this things bent, It grouped really well with some FGMM, even with the crappy stock.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Try shining a light behind the straight edge, that will highlight any gaps.

I did this and there is a minimal gap between the straight edge and the barrel but it looks to be consistent all the way around. From what hearing and after checking it out I feel like it should be good to go.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I did this and there is a minimal gap between the straight edge and the barrel but it looks to be consistent all the way around. From what hearing and after checking it out I feel like it should be good to go.

Only one way to find out. Sell it to me for $250, then I'll tell you after I shoot it. :):

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Do you own any "Heavy" cast-iron cook ware? I'll bet that's where that dent came from.
    No visible damage to the barrel or crown that I could see. I don't have a scope on it right now and the fist thing I thought of was that I'm not going to know if any harm was done until I buy one to slap on it. Dropping the gun was bad enough and then to find the huge gouge in the floor that would have to be explained to the wife made it even that much worse. The feedback I'm getting makes me feel better. The barrel is a pretty heavy profile so that should help quite a bit.

Top Bottom