• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I have always wanted to inherit an old shotgun from one of my father’s collection. The problem is my father has never owned a gun and I don’t have anyone that can Will me one. I have always been interested in having an old shotgun like “granddad” would have had hanging above the fireplace. Anywho, I was in a pawn shop today and I was interested when he said everything in the store was 20% off including guns. I ended up buying an old single shot12 gauge that has seen some years. I picked it up for $80 plus taxes. Nothing special but I like it. The wood is a little beat up and it needed a deep cleaning. Some Barrel Blast, Hopps No. 9 and some Rem oil it’s at least clean and lubricated. I disassembled it the best I could, even took the stock off. I wishI knew its history, but not much luck. I contemplated not using the Barrel Blast as it may strip it down too much, but I did it anyway. There was a lot of grim and a little bit of rust that I used a soft metal brush on. My wife really liked the shotgun the way it was, but I wanted to do some cleaning. I know some of you guys would just love to have your wife react the way mine did when I brought the shotgun home. She said, “Wow. Cool. I really like that…Only $80? You can’t pass that up.” Here are some pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Old guns need love too!, Sounds as if it has found the right home. Simple is sometimes the best, great find. You'll have to post any info about the Essex brand shotguns!!

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have an old Massachusetts Arms Co. .410 single shot shotgun that my father had when he was a little boy in the 1920's. His only story about shooting is one time he was riding on a tractor with Grandpa and spooked up a rabbit. It scared Dad and he jerked and accidentally fire a round, but it rolled the rabbit. Grandpa's response was "Nice shooting son". I look forward to passing it on to my son or grandchild.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I have my grandpa's ss 12ga like what you found. Full choke and kicks pretty hard due to being so light. Use to hunt rabbits with it. From what I have found out there were a lot of these made back in the day under many different names. Mine has a stock that is a little more rounded but other than that, looks just the same.
    Enjoy!

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Cool find! Wifes happy too - win/win - put a little love into it just a little and let her be she earned her patina - go find another now and see if the wife wants to go - you both need 1 I would think :)

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Nice. I have an old American Gun Company double bbl exposed hammer 12 gauge that my grandfather bought new in 1903. It put a lot of food on the table during WWI, the Depression and WWII. Became my dad's sometime in the 50's or 60's, and mine after he passed away in 2003. It will become my son's someday and hopefully he can pass it on too.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    The "Essex" shotgun was a trade name------Gun was made by "Crescent Arms",(maker of "house" guns for various companies) for "Belknap Hardware Co."Louisville Ky

tallend

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I wish I knew how old the shotgun is. I have read online about Essex Gun Works making them between 1930-1932 but it has a plastic butt plate which would not have been available in the 1930's. It fits perfectly so I'm sure it's original.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    I wish I knew how old the shotgun is. I have read online about Essex Gun Works making them between 1930-1932 but it has a plastic butt plate which would not have been available in the 1930's. It fits perfectly so I'm sure it's original.

Plastic? Maybe, maybe not. "Bakelite", an early plastic or phenolic resin, was developed in the 30's and used on firearms plus a whole lot of other things. Hard to tell from the picture.

That old piece has found a good home. The Hoppes #9 probably felt like aftershave to the old boy (girl?). Maybe it put rabbit and squirrel in the family cookpot during the dark days of the Depression. Or maybe carefully leaned into a corner by the front door "just in case" a 2-legged varmint came along. Who knows? Very cool!

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I like the old shotguns. Saw this online.

Essex was a tradename used by Crescent-Davis firearms Co on shotguns made for the Belknap hardware co of Louisville KY back in the 18 and 1900's. The term "Hardwareguns" is derived from the Crescent Co, as they made guns for just about anybody, and would put any name on the gun if you oedered 10 or more.
    Despite this generic type history they where , i read, quite good guns and had a good following, finish was average but the materials used where the best available for the period.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Very cool.

I have a similar Western Arms 16Ga that I bought from an old stump jumper from TN back in the 70's for $16. He didn't think it was worth much but pointed out the notches carved in the stock...from family discussions he said...even so, with a distinctive patina 40+ yrs later it still shoots just fine.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Had not considered Bakelite. Thanks. I searched Crescent Shotguns in Google in pictures and there was a lot of picture that looked exactly like mine without the scroll work on the side. I am hoping to shoot it this week. At first I was concerned that the hammer doesn't ride all the way forward when fired, but the pictures on Google show the shotguns with the hammer in the same position. I was watching a video on YouTube and someone mentioned a Rebound Hammer. Does this sound right?

Top Bottom