• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    So I have decided I deserve/need/can justify a really high end AK in 7.62x39mm. I was thinking about finding a Vepr with a 20.5" barrel and converting it a bit for longer range shooting, but the long barrel versions are very hard to find. Atlantic has the shorter versions already converted for hi-cap mag use for a $grand$. Do you all think there would be much difference at say 300 yards with a scope?

Now what really caught my eye was the Krebs AK103K-S. Based on the SLR-107fr, the barrel is cut to 14.5" with a permanent break and worked over by Krebs. I really like the shorter length and the added cost over a base slr seems worth it.

https://www.coppercustom.com/shop/krebs-custom/krebs-ak103k-s/

And to gild the lily, there is the Krebs KV-13, 16" rifle. This has everything you could want and as a bonus started out as a Vepr rifle.

https://www.coppercustom.com/shop/krebs-custom/kv-13-7-62x39-16-barrel/

So does anyone (clay, vitamin, triggertime, etc) have experience with these high end beauties? I will admit, any of these are far superior to the use I will put them to.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Those do look nicey, however, I have never seen the need for a milled receiver. Let's say the budget is $2,500-$3,000 and ideally that would be for two rifles. Now I have all the basic bases covered: Russian, Yugo, Polish, Romy - side and under folders, future SBR and a mini draco. I don't have any super operator, looks AWESOME railed beasts so that's why the KV-13 appeals.

Would buying two Krebs guns be too much?

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Krebs makes good stuff...
    KrbSt_Luke_01.jpg

KCKV13_01.jpg

KCKV13_02.jpg

KCKV13_04.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I would LOVE to own a Krebs. I would think either one would serve you well, and the VEPR is probably over kill (over built) but who cares!? ;)

That said, I have no personal experience with them. I've him-hawed over buying one for a while now, just never pulled the trigger. I've also thought about Rifle Dynamics, but they are primarily a kit building company and don't start with my favorite thing...... factory built AKs, and the price they charge for a kit build is pretty high.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Uzibutton, you are evil. Those photos make the kv-13 look even more awesome. Well, an AK103K-S is on the way and I am giving serious thought to the KV-13. It just makes sense. A base Vepr is $999 from Atlantic. The forend, stock adapter, and stock would total close to $600 in parts alone so for a few hundred more you get expert conversion by Krebs.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hmm, they have a 1/2x28 thread on the KV-13 but the gun is in 7.62x39. Why wouldn't they use 5/8x24? I know the 1/2x28 gives you more options for brakes, but since they specifically mention suppressors, you'd be way better off with a 5/8x24, which is pretty much the standard for .30 cans (not to mention the risk of someone putting on a .223 can and making it go boom... though really if you have enough money to drop on this rifle and a suppressor, you should be smart enough to avoid that kind of mistake).[h=1][/h]

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have decided to be a little more disciplined and hold off on the KV-13. Since my desire is for a sleeker, low key AK with glass for longer range fun, I will simply keep an eye out for a stock Vepr in 7.52x39 w/ a 20.5" barrel and installed bullet guide.

Of course as a consolation I added a DDI milled underfolder to my order from Atlantic. :rockwoot:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Hmm, they have a 1/2x28 thread on the KV-13 but the gun is in 7.62x39. Why wouldn't they use 5/8x24? I know the 1/2x28 gives you more options for brakes, but since they specifically mention suppressors, you'd be way better off with a 5/8x24, which is pretty much the standard for .30 cans (not to mention the risk of someone putting on a .223 can and making it go boom... though really if you have enough money to drop on this rifle and a suppressor, you should be smart enough to avoid that kind of mistake).

You are probably limited by the size of the barrel. Pretty sure the stock barrel isn't large enough to put that size thread on.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You are probably limited by the size of the barrel. Pretty sure the stock barrel isn't large enough to put that size thread on.

I've never had a VEPR and definitely not a VEPR 7.62x39, so I'm not sure. I found several forum threads on other gun forums with people debating between 14x1LH and 5/8x24RH for their VEPRs though, and no one mentioning 1/2x28, so I would assume that's the not the case (but you know what they say about when you assume things).

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    from what I've read the barrel OD of most VEPRs seems to be around 0.610" -> 0.612" which is below the recommended minimum OD for 5/8x24 thread. Doesn't mean you can't thread it, but your thread root depth will be below the % needed for good clamping. Suppressors see a lot of force, so you might risk blowing it right off the end of the rifle. But this is just my opinion.

Top Bottom